Wireless setup trouble 5.1.1 OK in 4.3.1 - What Happened?

This is where you post about usability issues (not bugs) in pre-release versions of Puppy 5.x (alphas, betas, rcs). Usability issues are things like poor contrast in the themes, non-ergonomic button layouts, unintuitive application behavior, etc.
Joe Jasniewski

Wireless setup trouble 5.1.1 OK in 4.3.1 - What Happened?

#1 Post by Joe Jasniewski »

I'm using lupq because I got the Wacom tablet working on my Toshiba 3500 with this distro.

However, as with lupo 5.1.1, my on board wireless doesnt load. If it does, it's sporatic at best - I have got on at times - but next boot? Gotta go through the whole thing again. Last time, even when I load the driver manually, it still doesnt "find" the wifi. I did before and did with 4.3.1!!!

Drove me nuts enough to gen up another HD with 4.3.1 on it (no CD on this machine) and, as I guessed, bada-bing and I'm on! I'm wiring this from the 4.3.1 system now...

So what's been done with 5.1.1 and what looks like the exact same thing, which renders it dysfunctional on my particular machine? Is there something I can edit and change settings to get the behavior back to rock solid 4.3.1?

It'd be nice to have the Wacom and Wireless on the lastest Puppy!

Thanks and Best Regards,

Joe

tubby

#2 Post by tubby »

If you still want to try your wifi, look at /etc/init.d/ open rc.pcmcia as text and remove the two hashes at the front of these lines
#echo "Starting PCMCIA services:"
#pcmcia-socket-startup
save and reboot and with a bit of luck you should be able to connect, i am assuming you have a save file or a full install.

You can always put them back if it does not work.

technowomble

#3 Post by technowomble »

Which manager are you using to make the connection? On my laptop - plug-in wireless card - I could connect using Network Manager in 5.1.1, but it wouldn't auto connect on re-boot. I installed pwireless2 through PPM and used that, auto-connects like a dream. Not really wi-fi related, but on my wired Puppy desktop, also using 5.1.1, I had to use the simple connection wizard to get it to pick up the ethernet connection at boot, so maybe there's a glitch in Network Manager?

shinobar

Re: Wireless setup trouble 5.1.1 OK in 4.3.1 - What Happened

#4 Post by shinobar »

Joe Jasniewski wrote:However, as with lupo 5.1.1, my on board wireless doesnt load.
Thanks Joe for the report.
If your issue persists, let us move to the another topic:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60199
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 906#461906
Because the LupQ finished its development stage and now has its main topic above.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Joe Jasniewski

That did it! At least for the very next boot!

#5 Post by Joe Jasniewski »

Tubby,

Thanks so much for the MaJiC CoDe!

"...remove the two hashes at the front of these lines
#echo "Starting PCMCIA services:"
#pcmcia-socket-startup"

What does this do? Why is it different in these 5.1.1 pups?

I'm on line with lupq, 5.1.1 !! It SURVIVES a reboot !! WooHoo!!

Deep inside the linux file system, in an obscure little directory, in an obscure little file, there lurks these *two lines*...which, if accessed and changed, leads to HAPPINESS!!

Thank-you. I'll (probably) shutup now ;')

tubby

#6 Post by tubby »

Glad it worked for you Joe, it would appear that the problem is with all Woof built distros but BK does not seem to want to change it.