Chromium won't start...????.....

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
wmichaelb

#1 Post by wmichaelb »

Hi, I just installed Puppy 5.1 on my old Vectra PII, and in general, it runs great, and much faster and cleaner than even 5.0.

In an attempt to wring the last bit of speed out of it, I installed Chromium - but it won't start when I click on the icon, and I can't figure out how to uninstall/reinstall. That used to work via the Pet system, but doesn't seem to anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience on how to get Chromium to run?

Thanks in advance.

Rupp

#2 Post by Rupp »

try to open it from terminal. Type: "Chromium" or "chromium" without the quotes and press enter.

It will tell you why it isn't starting.

pemasu

#3 Post by pemasu »

Or type google-chrome.

wmichaelb

Chromium still won't start...????.....

#4 Post by wmichaelb »

Thanks for responding! But typing Chromium, chromium, or google-chrome simply gets a bash message of "command not found". Going to /usr/bin and clicking on the binary file marked "chrome" does nothing either. cd'ing to usr/bin or /usr/var/chromium and then typing "chrome" to match the title of the binary file there gets me a response that says "illegal instruction". I did figure out how to uninstall and reinstall; no change. Opera works fine, so it's not hardware or network related.

Has anyone else gotten this beast to run? If not, I'll post a bug report. For the moment, I can use Opera.

James C

#5 Post by James C »

My test box is an old P3 and for whatever reason Chromium won't run on it.The problem was discovered early in Lucid development,01micko tried to get Chromium to run on a P3 as well, no luck.No problems on P4 or the AMD equivalent.......just won't run on a P3.
HTH.

disciple

#6 Post by disciple »

Presumably it just needs to be rebuilt on a P3... where did the package you're using come from, anyway?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

wmichaelb

#7 Post by wmichaelb »

Thanks for that insight. I'm running Puppy on a 350 MHz PII Vectra (~(8^})=), and Opera works fine. It's just that speed is precious on such an old machine, and I wanted to try Chrome for that reason. But Opera is fine for the moment, and certainly runs much faster than Firefox.

I got Chrome from...are you ready...quickpet! My guess is that it was added from the Ubuntu repositories without further compilation. I'll file a bug report.

Thanks for your response!

Ron

#8 Post by Ron »

I also am disappointed that Chromium won't run on my box which is a AMD 2.1 GHZ P4-type. It just doesn't start at all. It runs on another box with a faster CPU although I really haven't run it through it's paces yet.. I guess it just needs more horsepower than other browsers.

I also have a lot of trouble with Firefox 3.6 running on this slower box. When using the scrollbar, it messes up the page with frozen and missing lines. Ironically, this Forum seems to be the worse site of all for that problem. It's okay on the faster computer. Seamonkey has problems of it's own with compatibility with many sites. Midori also seems incompatible with too many sites. Maybe Opera? Any suggestions?

Ron

disciple

#9 Post by disciple »

I guess it just needs more horsepower than other browsers.
No, I don't like it myself, but Chrome needs less horsepower than other mainstream browsers.
It just doesn't start at all.
What error message do you get if you try to start it from a terminal?
Seamonkey has problems of it's own with compatibility with many sites.
Which sites? Seamonkey should really work anywhere Firefox does... I've certainly found that it does.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Ron

#10 Post by Ron »

disciple,

If you click on Chrome's icon, either from within Rox or the defaultbrowser icon, there is no response at all. Trying to start it from the terminal, the terminal returns "Illegal instruction", both by typing "chrome" or by typing "defaulbrowser" (defaultbrowser is set for chrome). This is on a AMD Sempron 3000+, about 2Ghz.

I have successfully installed Chromium to a newer P4 dual core computer and also an older P4 single core machine, all on lupu5. All units have 1GB RAM.

Regarding Seamonkey, I have had a love-hate experience. On this older AMD machine, Firefox has always been almost unusable because with even slow scrolling, the lines freeze and skip so bad, it's unreadable on many but not all sites (this forum is among the worst). So, I have had to use Seamonkey which has been pretty good until recently. I just upgraded to lupu 5.1.1 from scratch (not an upgrade) and also got Seamonkey 2.0.8 through the Package Manager. I thought it was okay until I tried to post to two other forums and the posts were bad (no carriage returns, for example). Also, I tried to buy something on two sites and they would not accept some of my fields. Other sites give me a message that my browser was incompatible. I never had any of these problems before I went to 5.1.1 and SM 2.0.8 (or 9). I'm pretty sure that my other version of SM was also 2.0.8, arrived at through a few automatic updates. The new install on my new lupu 5.1.1 was installed through the Puppy Package Manager. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall, but no help.

Additionally, Seamonkey now is exhibiting the same scrolling behavior as firefox did and it never did before.

Unfortunately, the bottom line is that with my upgrade to 5.1.1, I no longer have any usable browser. Midori also returns too many "incompatible" messages from sites to be useful.

Any ideas would be welcome. I hope you can wade through these muddled symptoms.

Ron

James C

#11 Post by James C »

With Firefox and SeaMonkey in Lucid Puppy if you keep the bottom of the browser above the taskbar most of the scrolling problems should go away. It's due to a window manager bug....about drove us crazy in testing :lol:
Can't remember if it is both window managers or JWM only though.
I run 5.11 every day....no browser problems.
HTH.

disciple

#12 Post by disciple »

Interesting. What version of JWM is in Lucid?

Re: Chrome, it definitely sounds like it (or possibly one of its dependencies) has been built optimised for a P4 cpu, and it is trying to use a feature that isn't supported by a P3 or an AMD cpu. If you can't find a Chrome package that works, try Iron. I think someone was providing regular packages of it on this forum.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Ron

#13 Post by Ron »

James C wrote:With Firefox and SeaMonkey in Lucid Puppy if you keep the bottom of the browser above the taskbar most of the scrolling problems should go away. It's due to a window manager bug....about drove us crazy in testing :lol:
HTH.
OMG, all my Firefox problems just melted away. How annoying that was. I had posted this problem back when lupu 5.0 came out but I guess no one had identified a workaround then.

I have always used JWM, but I just switched to Ice to test this and FF seems to be well behaved under it, although it was just a brief test. Thanks for replying, that was getting really worrisome.

disciple, regarding Chrome, it certainly does sound like that, although I can't imagine any developer (outside of Intel, anyway) designing an important product like that to exclude all but Intel machines. Seems really shortsighted, but to be kind, maybe it was just an accidental oversight in the Linux version. Maybe I will try Iron. I think I kind of like Chrome from the short look I've had of it so far on the other machine, but I like FF now too.

Thanks for the great help!

Ron

disciple

#14 Post by disciple »

but to be kind, maybe it was just an accidental oversight in the Linux version.
Yes, I think it'll be a build problem, not a design problem.

I haven't tried Iron, but it should be similar to Chrome as it is based on Chromium, Chrome's open source core (which you could also try). Actually I can't remember now - maybe it is just Chromium that someone is packaging regularly.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

yordanj94

#15 Post by yordanj94 »

[/quote]With Firefox and SeaMonkey in Lucid Puppy if you keep the bottom of the browser above the taskbar most of the scrolling problems should go away. It's due to a window manager bug....about drove us crazy in testing Laughing
HTH.
Thank you so much for that advice.You made my day.
It was a nightmare "scrolling problems".
If you set "Tray Autohide Option -ON" works too.
Thanks again.
Yordan.

kurtph1969

Chromium

#16 Post by kurtph1969 »

Hi,

I believe that this has been well documented before but the thread was quite old. I need Flash Support so this is why I wanted Chromium browser. Can anyone tell me if it is now possible to get Chromium working on BionicPup32 or what my best alternative option would be for Flash support?

Thanks,

Kurt

Mike Walsh

Re: Chromium

#17 Post by Mike Walsh »

kurtph1969 wrote:Hi,

I believe that this has been well documented before but the thread was quite old. I need Flash Support so this is why I wanted Chromium browser. Can anyone tell me if it is now possible to get Chromium working on BionicPup32 or what my best alternative option would be for Flash support?

Thanks,

Kurt
Kurt:-

peebee is our community builder of Chromium packages. He's also the developer/maintainer of Bionicpup32, so naturally his packages will work in Bionic.....and they always include PepperFlash. This should help:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 05#1045105

Let us know if that's any use, please.

Mike. :wink: