Wary Puppy 0.9.4 (094) feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
Billtoo

Wary Puppy 0.9.4 (094) feedback

#61 Post by Billtoo »

Sage wrote:Gee, t'anks guys. No, I don't have the devx, nor the SFS installer - but now I know how & why. Work in progress...

Later: did an exact search for <SFS_Installer-1.0-430.pet > on both the Forum and BK's blog - nil results in both cases. Found a 'Linker' but not an 'Installer'. Any chance of a clue, please?!
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=44765 for the sfs installer.

I'm afraid installing the devx might not solve your problem
because I've got 3 094 installs on flash drives and eudora *works* on
all of them *but* I tried booting the live cd and creating a save file
and then upacked the eudora tar file and eudora wouldn't run with or
without the devx installed.

I don't know what's special about the flash drive install but three
flash drive installs on 3 computers eudora works and live with a save
file it doesn't.
Sorry but I'm out of ideas :( , other than try using bootflash to
create the same thing that I have and try that, with the devx
installed just in case.

edit: I created those flash drive installs in 092 and bootflash wasn't
working properly in 092 because it would only copy 4 files to the
flash drive and not all that was needed so I used bootflash and when
it was finished I clicked on the flash drive to mount it, then
clicked on the 094 iso file to mount that too, then I highlighted all
of the files in the iso and copied them to the bootflash drive, the
bootflash drive worked fine after doing that.

irishrm

wary 094 crash

#62 Post by irishrm »

Had a systems crash while playing video with mplayer. This resulted in having to do a hard shut down. Re-booted OK but had a complete loss of sound and the sound applet disappeared from the tray. This is the second time this has happened with a usb install. Did a clean re-install after first crash-Irishrm

DaveS

Re: wary 094 crash

#63 Post by DaveS »

irishrm wrote:Had a systems crash while playing video with mplayer. This resulted in having to do a hard shut down. Re-booted OK but had a complete loss of sound and the sound applet disappeared from the tray. This is the second time this has happened with a usb install. Did a clean re-install after first crash-Irishrm
Were you streaming the video from the internet while watching? If so, the probable cause of the crash is you 'save file becoming full. Mplayer uses the browser cache rather than setting up a cache in /temp, so if you have a small save file this can happen. I speak from experience :(
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Sage

#64 Post by Sage »

Fiddled around a bit more, got all the files, but, as you suspected, nothing worked.
Firstly, I should say how very grateful I am to you, Billtoo, for your patience, assistance, and perseverance; tronk, as well. Please hold that in mind whilst I explain where I'm coming from. I don't do SW - I hate it, it bores me to tears with all that coding, CLI, file loading, drivers, la, la, la. HW is my bag, right down to component level. Nothing pleases me more than tracking down a spurious HW fault, identifying obscure components with burnt or no labels and finding a compat. that puts everything right again. I reckon I do my 'job' well - better than most. When it comes to mod-ing cpu, just send it over. I can remove sm components, ICs, BIOSes and resolder them with an ordinary soldering iron. I fix other electrical and electronic stuff straight from the skip. So then it comes SW....
So that's my little story. I guess we all need each other, but we all have our limitations.

tronkel

#65 Post by tronkel »

@sage

Try this pet package for EudoraOSE

get it here:
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-496cad90.html

This is the binary package from the Eudora site
I've included the dbus stuff in the pet. If you try to install and run Eudora running from a live Wary CD, it won't run because the dbus stuff is not installed by default. This runs OK now on my hardware in Wary 0.9.4. If you want it as an sfs I can convert it for you.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Billtoo

#66 Post by Billtoo »

tronkel wrote:@sage

Try this pet package for EudoraOSE

get it here:
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-496cad90.html

This is the binary package from the Eudora site
I've included the dbus stuff in the pet. If you try to install and run Eudora running from a live Wary CD, it won't run because the dbus stuff is not installed by default.
S**t, I forgot about dbus when I did live with a save file, that's the answer I think.

edit: yup, that was the problem, installed the 4 dbus pets and eudora works on the live with save file install.

Is dbus so big that it can't be included in wary by default? It would help forgetful people like me :)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#67 Post by BarryK »

DaveS wrote:And somehow Barry compiles without dbus.
See my blog post that explains how I compile SeaMonkey:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01911
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

irishrm

wary 094 crash

#68 Post by irishrm »

DaveS wrote:
[quote]Were you streaming the video from the internet while watching? If so, the probable cause of the crash is you 'save file becoming full. Mplayer uses the browser cache rather than setting up a cache in /temp, so if you have a small save file this can happen. I speak from experience Sad/

Irishrm:
No just playing downloaded videos. I have a feeling that the sound is suspect certainly on my PC anyway.

rerwin

Modem driver variant selectors updated

#69 Post by rerwin »

I have updated the Agere and (now) Intel 537 driver-variant selectors in my original modem-update message:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 900#461900

I have discovered problems with both the Intel537EP variant and with the ALSA wizard. My 537EP does not detect a dialtone, even though the puppy4.3.1-fix-8 installation does get a dialtone. Wary apparently has a newer version of the Intel537 drivers; I googled and found (I think) reports of this, but could not find a resolution (in the interest of time). Anyway, that is outside of the task of selecting variants, so I postponed further investigation of the problem.

The wizard problem seems more serious. On my ancient 1997 Aptiva the wizard offers the line:
cs4236 cs4237B
which I select. Sound still does not work but, worse, shutdown fails with a massive list of error/diagnostic messages and then hangs. It does this on subsequent bootups, too. In addition, there is no provided way to undo the selection - deletion of the alsa.conf file and rebooting seems to take care of that.

UPDATE: The modem update package (-2) now also fixes the pctel problem Barry reported. Now, more about the ALSA wizard: Wary 0.9.4 delivers an alsa.conf file set up for a soundblaster modem; I think there should be no alsa.conf in the delivery, so that only the wizard can create it. Also, later wizard results are appended to alsa.conf instead of replacing any earlier content. That could cause unpredictable operation.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Sun 31 Oct 2010, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.

tronkel

#70 Post by tronkel »

Here is a new pet for Seamonkey 2.0.10 this time with dbus disabled. 13MB.

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-97a787ad.html

So you don't need to install the 4 dbus packages via the PPM even if you are running from a live CD.

Seems to be running OK without the start-up crashes as was the case with 2.0.7/8/9 - so Mozilla seem to have nailed the problem (for now at least).
Last edited by tronkel on Sun 31 Oct 2010, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#71 Post by BarryK »

Rerwin,
Thanks for the patches for agrsm and intel. After I get home I will dig out my collection of old modem cards and do some testing -- I think that one of them is an Intel chip but I don't know exactly what sort.

Anyone else with a dialup soft-modem (not an external serial modem), PCI or ISA card or USB, is invited to test it out in Wary 094.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Sage

#72 Post by Sage »

Fantasticle! You're a wiz., tronk. I'd've been siting around poking and pushing in total ignorance for decades without your (and Bt's) incisive intuition and instruction. Happy am I - let's hope hordes of fellow fiddlers will appreciate the wonders of Eudora, too.
Muchas gratias, benissimo, felicitations - over & out.
Last edited by Sage on Sun 31 Oct 2010, 15:00, edited 2 times in total.

tronkel

#73 Post by tronkel »

Glad it worked out Sage.
What do you reckon are the advantages that Eudora has over vanilla Thunderbird? I've fired up Eudora a few times and couldn't see a huge amount of difference between them - cosmetics aside.

I'm probably missing something here though. Maybe the commercial version of Eudora has more features compared with the FOSS version? I'm going to have a play with it later.

Felicitations to Blighty.

Sage

#74 Post by Sage »

What do you reckon are the advantages that Eudora has...
Big question. I've been an avid user of Eudora 7.1.9 (the last) in 'doze for more than a decade. I'd need to run OSE for a year before I discover the answer to your enquiry. Eudora had the lot. It was said that admin folks who were smart would use OE cr*p at work because their boss was stupid, go home and load up Eudora. As far as I was concerned, Eudora only had one drawback - I had to teach it English. You know, the proper version according to Mr OxfordEnglish Dictionary. Apart from that it was amazing. We shall see whether Mozie has made a dog's dinner of their free gift.
Last edited by Sage on Sun 31 Oct 2010, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.

irishrm

wary 094 crash

#75 Post by irishrm »

I posted earlier about wary crashing and resulting loss of sound and I see other mentions of sound problems. Posting sound card details:
Audio Adapter : ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4
Irishrm.

piratesmack

#76 Post by piratesmack »

Think I found a bug

zw094114.sfs isn't mounted on boot after saving to a partition (directly to partition, no save file). It loads fine after saving to a save file, though.

kenj777

AC '97 modem does not work

#77 Post by kenj777 »

My internal modem does not work with Wary_094.
Works great with 4.3.1 and Wary_070 with 2.6.30.5 kernel.
I have a
Compaq Presario 2500 laptop
with
ALi Corporation M5457 AC'97 Modem Controller
which uses the Conexant HSF/HCF modules.

Tried the new upgraded the firmware tarballs for the Conexant HSF and HCF modems. They didn't work either.

Karl Godt

#78 Post by Karl Godt »

booting wary-094 frugal really seems to have damaged Macpup-Foxy_3 full install more severe than expected .

/etc/rc.d/BOOTCONFIG
/etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE
/etc/DISTRO_SPECS

had been overwritten

busybox seems to be still 1.15 but instead of rebooting it restarts X even from the prompt cl .

shutdown is working but even replacing the etc files from /FIRSTBOOTBACKUP seems not to do it.

I can still only boot kernel rw .

ro gives Xhickup that is that fast that I can not read it ... something with `xwin` line 400+ .
logging in at tty 2 failed somehow ( perhaps because of that hickup that occured there also )

/tmp is still (`chmod`) 1777

rjbrewer

Re: wary 094 crash

#79 Post by rjbrewer »

irishrm wrote:I posted earlier about wary crashing and resulting loss of sound and I see other mentions of sound problems. Posting sound card details:
Audio Adapter : ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4
Irishrm.
That's the same sound card as my Inspiron 700m.
I'm not having any sound problems while watching video streams
or watching downloads with mplayer.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

rerwin

Re: AC '97 modem does not work

#80 Post by rerwin »

kenj777 wrote:My internal modem does not work with Wary_094.
Works great with 4.3.1 and Wary_070 with 2.6.30.5 kernel.
I have a
Compaq Presario 2500 laptop
with
ALi Corporation M5457 AC'97 Modem Controller
which uses the Conexant HSF/HCF modules.

Tried the new upgraded the firmware tarballs for the Conexant HSF and HCF modems. They didn't work either.
Thanks for post your discovery. Wary should already have the latest HSF firmware. If the sizes are different between wary's and whatever you tried. please restore wary's. Better yet, start with a fresh pupsave and go as far as you can toward connecting. Then stop where you are and run pmodemdiag in a console. Then post or PM me the pmodemdiag file it produces. That will get me started on resolution. Thanks.
Richard