Thin Client with Puppy and SSH/LTSP

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
dougtheslugg

Thin Client with Puppy and SSH/LTSP

#1 Post by dougtheslugg »

how can I use ssh with puppy so I can launch konqueror from an ssh server ? ( I used to do this with DSL with the ssh command alone) but from puppy does not want to open the x display
I like puppy for its size and boot time (verry fast on a pet 1 133 megahtz with 32 meg of ram

dougtheslug

so easy

#2 Post by dougtheslug »

I found the solution it was so obvious "Ssh-gui secure telnet" I can open konqueror or openoffice from my LTSP server , things are looking promessing with puppy which I am planning to addopt for a little project I would like to implement in underprivilleged schools in El Salvador . " I AM ADDOPTING THIS PUPPY"

rarsa

#3 Post by rarsa »

What about the other way around?

How can you enable port 22 to make puppy the client?

doutheslug

autamate ssh

#4 Post by doutheslug »

I know with debian you apt-get install ssh puppy has the dotpup named debinstall or something like that to install deb packages but I don't know about its dependencies or perhaps there is a ssh server tar ball that can be installed or RPM .
I would like to automate my conneccion to the server so students only have to type a password
Does any body know how to do that? with secure ssh gui????

rarsa

#5 Post by rarsa »

I prefer the command line to the ssh gui

Code: Select all

ssh -X -l username my.computer.net
That command line enables X11 forwarding and will log in as the user indicated by the option -l

you could then use a script that connects as a particular user.

For example to connect to server: 192.168.1.55 using the same userid that they are using on the ssh client computer, enabling X11 forwarding the script could be something like

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
ssh-X -l `whoami` 192.168.1.55
Note: The quotes ` are backward quotes. (Under the Esc key in the US keyboard)

dougvega

puppy and ssh

#6 Post by dougvega »

I know the comand line is the best way to go , but this is for a project in a school where kids can log into an LTSP server through a thin client or use Puppy linux to work locally as a stand alone using a low power computer and or ssh to a LTSP or SSH server and use the big guns like open office or any of the other power-memeory hungry applications.
tha is my idea anyways the LTSP is probably the best way but I would like to make use of the stand alone low power computer with either puppy or dsl more efficiently instead of having everybody loggin into an LTSP server gobbling up resources needlesslly.
any help ideas anyone??

rarsa

That was my point

#7 Post by rarsa »

That was my point about creating a simple script.

The students don't have to type any command. It can be launched from the menu or from a desktop link.

It'll sure be easier than having them using the ssh gui. IMHO.

douvega

ssh&ltsp

#8 Post by douvega »

I am sorry I miss-read your post , that is exactly what I am looking for I would like totake it a bit farther and lounch the kicker via ssh so students can choose to work locally or from the server, I tried it manually myself and I stand in aw everytime I lounch the kicker , I am sure many other budget strapped schools will want to have the same setup if I ever manage to take some computers I have collected down south .

rarsa

#9 Post by rarsa »

Have you tried a WM configuration that does not even show a task bar and that would connect to the server when booting the WM?

This way, from the user point of view, the only UI they use is the server one. Actually if you use VNC, It will be as if they are sitting at the server.

You can create a completely stripped down version of Puppy, just the barebones + ssh + vncviewer. The main advantage would be that Puppy will boot damn fast

I already compiled a VNC that provides full screen capabilities

I will play with this if you are interested.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

Just a question: how many people can use the server, as remote terminals via VNC, before everybody's "computer" begins to slow down noticeably? I presume it depends on what programs are being accessed on the server. A few people playing games could bog things down for everyone.

rarsa

#11 Post by rarsa »

Of course the solution depends on the actual requirements.

Or as we say in Mexico: Depending on the frog is the stone. (Dependiendo del sapo es la pedrada)

This would not be for Multimedia and/or gaming. As far as I know VNC only transports the X and input devices. The redrawing rate in VNC or X over SSH is not fast enough to play a movie or to play a game.

As I understood, as an educational network, to do everyday tasks, Text editing, browsing, e-mail, etc, it will work quite nicelly.

If you want to play games or multimedia, then you have to run it locally even if it is stored remotelly (samba, NFS).

Remoting from Puppy is quite convenient. Now that I'm compiling for puppy, I can, from the same computer, compile in vector on the desktop, and run in linux on the laptop, without switching computers.

In this case douvega was asking about launching konqueror and the kicker from Puppy.

dougtheslug

ssh and ltsp

#12 Post by dougtheslug »

the reason I wanted to doit that way was that the stand alone computer would be useable in case the network went down or the user could work in satnd alone mode if they were only doing web browsing or minimal word prossessing without overloading the server; but at the same time have the option of uing the ltsp server if the so choose , I like LTSP because it can make use of disksless computers if they were to fail ( I would assume most schools back home could not aford high end computers and would have to rely on donations , whatever they might be) .
Show them how to make their own bread and tomorow the will have their own bakery

dougtheslug

VNC

#13 Post by dougtheslug »

personaly I do not like VNC unless I have to control a remote machine , it is too clunky for my taste , with SSH or LTSP it gives the ilussion that you are working right at the remote computer. ( the city of Largo in florida and legal aid in Manitoba are running a full blown LTSP networks one of them with as many as 800 thin terminals running konqueror from the server and the users don't know the difference , in Norway there are aprox. 200+ schoolls using Skolelinux (Debian based K12-LTSP) using anithing from 486 and up for thin-cients some of them with nothing but 32 meg of memory and a network card . so it all comes down to how powerfull the server is and the speed of the network switch vs. hub.
Show them how to make their own bread and tomorow the will have their own bakery

#14 Post by Guest »

Just did a reinstall of LTSP myself........On;y allowed my little lappy in the house so the "big machine" runs LTSP and I do a remote X login upstairs...using a 54mps wireless connection seems a ok except for running vmware..hehehehehe

I need to do some serious puppy development form the warmth of the house as the garage is a wee bit cold........

skippyretard

#15 Post by skippyretard »

Is it possible to configure LTSP to deliver Puppy to the clients instead of the default desktop?

skippyretard

#16 Post by skippyretard »

Just read the date on this thread, anybody still here?