Puppy Sleep Apnea monitoring like Iphone apps have

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
nooby

Puppy Sleep Apnea monitoring like Iphone apps have

#1 Post by nooby »

Would be cool to be a able to use such for Puppy.

I need a Sleep Apnea monitoring program

but not anything fancy at all., It will do if it just record and give an alarm when I snore over a certain sound level to wake me up. That take care of it.

It should take in the sound from the Mic input jack and when the snooring reach a level that indicate that I have breathing problems then it wake me up by giving an alarm that wake me up.

It should make a log so one can check in the morning that one actually did wake up and pressed a button.

Yes I know that one can go to a doctor and make a lot of tests and get a CPAP or something to put in the mouth that try to hold the air ways open but not every one have the money or what to have such things in the mouth or a machine that makes a lot of noise.

If one had a program for Puppy then one could put the machine in a closet to make it very silent and have a microphone that remotely take up the snooring and a remote alarm gadget to wake one up.

My Acer D250 is very silent so most likely it can be in same room and maybe it even have a built in mike?

So I only need the program that listen to the sound and then get triggered by a certain level of input and then sound an alarm.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

amigo

#2 Post by amigo »

I found this:
http://www.physionet.org/physiotools/apdet/
but it requires input from a single-lead electrocardiogram.

rjbrewer

Re: Puppy Sleep Apnea monitoring like Iphone apps have

#3 Post by rjbrewer »

nooby wrote:Would be cool to be a able to use such for Puppy.

I need a Sleep Apnea monitoring program

but not anything fancy at all., It will do if it just record and give an alarm when I snore over a certain sound level to wake me up. That take care of it.
Get a wife! :lol:

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

nooby

#4 Post by nooby »

Thanks but that is too advanced.

I need something simple.

One start the program and it listen to long sounds like snoring and either when they reach a sound level one determine by trial and error then the program activate the speaker and send out a kind of alarm beep that one learn to mean wake up and turn it off. :)

That way if one set the sensitivity within not too low and not too high it would wake me up before the Sleep Apnea happens and that way I will not die like my Mom did because the apnea makes clotting of the heart and it could make the brain lose oxygen and one get afasi and such.

So it would be good to have a simple way to prevent this from happening.

The only bad thing about it is that one get less sleep but that happens anyway due to when one lose air through the Apnea one do wake up but have no memory of it because one go back to sleep within seconds or a few minutes and such seldom get remembered unless one dreamed somethign dramatic that one decide to remember.

I've tested this by recording myself through two nights of sleep and I woke up many times as can be heard from the total loss of breathing and then one hear that I suddenly wake and breath normally again and then get back in sleep breath pattern again very fast. In the morning no memory of these things to have happen.

So I need a very simple set up.

Maybe a kind of script one can do oneself if one have some template to change?

A simple GUI to set the level of sound imput that trigger the alarm to sound then continuous monitoring of the level and waiting for the close the program down and then one restart it for next session. Very easy loop that does one or two things.

Sensing level and trigger alarm when the level are above a set level for a certain amount of time. So it does not trigger on Cough or sneeze or Hark or neighbor feet on their floor my ceiling making bump in the night or the New Paper dropping to the floor or click from some appliance or spikes on the mains.

You get what I talk about.
That what you linked to is very advanced oprogram.

I guess the most easy thing is to do all of it in hardware. I have a MD recorder that do activate itself above a certain level. Then I only need a gated input from the Line out to a PA that send the Snore sound to the speakers close to my body. That way no software would be needed.

But I hate to solder all that so if one could do it all with software would be cool.

Edit

RJ,

Can I borrow your wife then. Just a few nights. :)

amigo

#5 Post by amigo »

"Can I borrow your wife?"
I used to see asign in mechanic shops which said:
There's only two things which are dear in this life;
the tools of trade and the sweet little wife.
So, if you don't ask to borrow my tools,
I won't ask to borrow your wife.

I think a solution to your problem is not quite as simple as you'd like to believe. But, since that is the case, it provides the perfect stimulus for you to start learning to code...

nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

Yes I did try that around 1985 or even much earlier on Sinclair's Basic computer with Z80 CPU.

I was into Forth for long wile. Up to 1990 or so. I even bought several Assembler books that cost a fortune and had several assemblers and compilers for different version of DOS.

What was his name. Write Structured Assembler C like code easily.

Robert Weinburg or similar name. Loved that book.

Nope I have no head for writing any code. I barely are able to do menu.lst code for setting up Puppy Frugally.

I promise I only joked when I said me should borrow your wife. I should me my own instead for trying it woo others wives.

Is it hard or difficult to deal with my Sleep Apnea this way.

Depends on what one compare with.

an easy solution would make my life much longer and healthier even if I lose some sleep due to the alarm waking me up because the Apnea wake me up only some minute later and that Apnea can kill me while the waking up only makes me a bit more sleepy and a bit less repaired during the night so it is much better to do as my thread say than to do nothing. A C-PAP is a very demanding solution and I trust me would never accept to have such going on my nose and over my mouth.