Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 22 Aug 2014, 04:04
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Printers
HP PSC 1210xi Prints Garbage (Solved)
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
theinfamousj

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov 2010, 01:13    Post subject:  HP PSC 1210xi Prints Garbage (Solved)  

I am currently using Puppy 5.11 and loving it.

I installed hpliplite according to the instructions found on the message boards, including installing libnetsnmp-15. My printer (HP PSC 1210xi) does not require additional plugins, so I didn't install any.

I configured the printer with CUPS and for the first time something printed when I went to print a test page. Unfortunately, it was not the test page that was supposed to print.

I've attached a scan (Xsane is working just fine) of what printed as the "test page".

Can anyone help me figure out what is missing that I need to add? This looks like it is missing just one step.
out.png
 Description   The "test page".
 Filesize   199.84 KB
 Viewed   524 Time(s)

out.png

Last edited by theinfamousj on Wed 17 Nov 2010, 14:13; edited 1 time in total
coopsurv

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov 2010, 07:43    Post subject: Re: HP PSC 1210xi Prints Garbage  

theinfamousj wrote:
I am currently using Puppy 5.11 and loving it.

I installed hpliplite according to the instructions found on the message boards, including installing libnetsnmp-15. My printer (HP PSC 1210xi) does not require additional plugins, so I didn't install any.

I configured the printer with CUPS and for the first time something printed when I went to print a test page. Unfortunately, it was not the test page that was supposed to print.

I've attached a scan (Xsane is working just fine) of what printed as the "test page".

Can anyone help me figure out what is missing that I need to add? This looks like it is missing just one step.

USE hpijs and problem solved. get official pet or dotpup.de pkg.
disciple

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov 2010, 08:44    Post subject: Re: HP PSC 1210xi Prints Garbage  

coopsurv wrote:

I'm not sure that's going to help - or do you have the same printer, and had the same problem?
HPLIP contains the HPIJS drivers and the drivers needed for scanning. If the printer is supported that should work.

theinfamousj - did you actually try printing anything else? I have a feeling the printer might be set up fine, just something else went wrong with the test page.

- - -
Beware the demented serfers!
theinfamousj

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov 2010, 12:47    Post subject: Re: HP PSC 1210xi Prints Garbage  

coopsurv wrote:

I tried installing hpijs first before installing the other driver With hpijs, the printer didn't do anything. No commands from the computer seemed to be interpreted. HPIJS is not the answer.
theinfamousj

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov 2010, 12:51    Post subject: Re: HP PSC 1210xi Prints Garbage  

disciple wrote:
theinfamousj - did you actually try printing anything else? I have a feeling the printer might be set up fine, just something else went wrong with the test page.

I tied printing "I like cheese." as typed in both GEANY and Abiword. Abiword printed similar coding "garbage". It appears that what is printing is the source code of what the page should look like. You know, if you open a .doc file or a .abw file in Geany instead of its target program.

In Geany it printed flawlessly. But I cannot print just from Geany. I need to print out boarding passes and whatnot. And things with pictures in them.
disciple

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov 2010, 18:32    Post subject:  

If you print to CUPS-PDF is the pdf produced correctly?
- - -
Beware the demented serfers!
theinfamousj

PostPosted: Wed 17 Nov 2010, 14:11    Post subject:  Re: HP PSC 1210xi Prints Garbage  

coopsurv wrote:

Brilliant! I don't know why there are different drivers in hpijs vs the package I originally installed, but there are. I fear that the original hpijs drivers in the larger package (hp...lite) are corrupt somehow, since they claim to bear the same driver files.

Anyway, installing hpijs worked beautifully. I have attached the package to this post to help out anyone else with my problem.
hpijs-3.10.6-dynppd.pet
Description  HPIJS
pet

Download 
Filename  hpijs-3.10.6-dynppd.pet 
Filesize  355.03 KB 
Downloaded  458 Time(s) 
stiginge

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct 2011, 11:13    Post subject:  

Yep these instructions have been helpful to me, exact same problem, running 529 and using a hp printer. There seems to be an issue with the hplip and hpliplite packages here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=27519
DaveS

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct 2011, 11:45    Post subject:  

I have had great success with HP printer drivers from here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=444080#444080
Small packages too....

Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Printers
Jump to: