HP PSC 1210xi Prints Garbage (Solved)

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
theinfamousj

HP PSC 1210xi Prints Garbage (Solved)

#1 Post by theinfamousj »

I am currently using Puppy 5.11 and loving it.

I installed hpliplite according to the instructions found on the message boards, including installing libnetsnmp-15. My printer (HP PSC 1210xi) does not require additional plugins, so I didn't install any.

I configured the printer with CUPS and for the first time something printed when I went to print a test page. Unfortunately, it was not the test page that was supposed to print.

I've attached a scan (Xsane is working just fine) of what printed as the "test page".

Can anyone help me figure out what is missing that I need to add? This looks like it is missing just one step.
Last edited by theinfamousj on Wed 17 Nov 2010, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.

coopsurv

Re: HP PSC 1210xi Prints Garbage

#2 Post by coopsurv »

theinfamousj wrote:I am currently using Puppy 5.11 and loving it.

I installed hpliplite according to the instructions found on the message boards, including installing libnetsnmp-15. My printer (HP PSC 1210xi) does not require additional plugins, so I didn't install any.

I configured the printer with CUPS and for the first time something printed when I went to print a test page. Unfortunately, it was not the test page that was supposed to print.

I've attached a scan (Xsane is working just fine) of what printed as the "test page".

Can anyone help me figure out what is missing that I need to add? This looks like it is missing just one step.

USE hpijs and problem solved. get official pet or dotpup.de pkg.

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

coopsurv wrote:USE hpijs and problem solved. get official pet or dotpup.de pkg.
I'm not sure that's going to help - or do you have the same printer, and had the same problem?
HPLIP contains the HPIJS drivers and the drivers needed for scanning. If the printer is supported that should work.

theinfamousj - did you actually try printing anything else? I have a feeling the printer might be set up fine, just something else went wrong with the test page.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

theinfamousj

#4 Post by theinfamousj »

I tried installing hpijs first before installing the other driver With hpijs, the printer didn't do anything. No commands from the computer seemed to be interpreted. HPIJS is not the answer.

theinfamousj

#5 Post by theinfamousj »

disciple wrote:theinfamousj - did you actually try printing anything else? I have a feeling the printer might be set up fine, just something else went wrong with the test page.
I tied printing "I like cheese." as typed in both GEANY and Abiword. Abiword printed similar coding "garbage". It appears that what is printing is the source code of what the page should look like. You know, if you open a .doc file or a .abw file in Geany instead of its target program.

In Geany it printed flawlessly. But I cannot print just from Geany. I need to print out boarding passes and whatnot. And things with pictures in them.

disciple

#6 Post by disciple »

If you print to CUPS-PDF is the pdf produced correctly?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

theinfamousj

#7 Post by theinfamousj »

Brilliant! I don't know why there are different drivers in hpijs vs the package I originally installed, but there are. I fear that the original hpijs drivers in the larger package (hp...lite) are corrupt somehow, since they claim to bear the same driver files.

Anyway, installing hpijs worked beautifully. I have attached the package to this post to help out anyone else with my problem.

stiginge

#8 Post by stiginge »

Yep these instructions have been helpful to me, exact same problem, running 529 and using a hp printer. There seems to be an issue with the hplip and hpliplite packages here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=27519
Buy silver, crash JPMorgan

DaveS

#9 Post by DaveS »

I have had great success with HP printer drivers from here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 080#444080
Small packages too....
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!