Wary Puppy 0.9.6 (096) feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
rcrsn51

#21 Post by rcrsn51 »

zigbert wrote:Peasyscan didn't work for my Epson 2400, while xsane does.
Please provide some more details. Was the scanner detected? Could you do a preview?

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Wary Puppy 0.9.6 (096) feedback

#22 Post by BarryK »

wjaguar wrote:Setting "GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=true" globally from /etc/profile is dangerous - see GTK+ bug #634236. Better to make wrapper scripts for the programs that absolutely require it, and do it from there - or modify their source code, inserting setenv("GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1") or equivalent before the point where gtk_init() gets called.
Wary does not have that set in /etc/profile. Well, all Woof-built puppies do not have it set.

It seems that the Lucid developer guys have modified /etc/profile, so they are the ones who need to be told.

They use Woof, but have some customisations to suit their needs. Basically, I think they have a PET package, named "zz*" that installs last in the Woof build and applies overrides/customisations.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#23 Post by BarryK »

zigbert wrote: 5.)
The nv-driver is slow, so the commercial driver will be needed to get the Puppy-feeling. - a pity, since it feels like bloat....Geforce 8400M GS. I first got the message that Nvidia driver was not available.....later I found it in PPM ???

-------------------------------------------------

At last 2 questions
- Why is libSDL included (I guess it's not to play burgerspace)?
- How much space (on iso) could be saved with a gtkdialog alternative for Gparted?
zigbert,
Thanks for all the feedback, I will investigate each point that you have made.

Regarding nVidia, I presume that you ran the Video Upgrade Wizard and it reported that there is no commercial PET package available for your card? But, you did find a suitable one in PPM?

...I need to check that out. Can you run this and post what is reported about the nVidia card:

# lspci -nn -m

...you should see a line with "VGA compatible controller" in it.

Regarding SDL, yeah, I thinking, should take that out, it is only in there to play the games. Oh yes, also 'ffplay', the ffmpeg cli player -- but don't need that.

A gtkdialog alternative to Gparted would save so much space!!!!
The problem with Gparted is that it is written using the gtkmm libs, which I compile linked statically. Consequently the Gparted PET package is 1MB -- so the .iso file gets increased by 1MB.

I have often thought of starting a project for a light-weight alternative to Gparted, but never got started on it.
...unless you count Pdisk (see System menu).

I wonder if BaCon would be up to it? BaCon is interesting, as it has good tools or writing GUI apps, and is a fairly simple language to learn. Wary has BaCon in the 'devx' -- I have just posted about this here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 1&start=45

BarryK
Puppy Master

#24 Post by BarryK »

No "woof woof" at first boot!

I always like to get the "woof woof", unfortunately, rerwin's latest patches changed something that broke the sound-availability-test in /usr/sbin/delayeddrun. I know how to fix it, will do so.

Note, the problem was an issue that rerwin and I were discussing, and I should have checked the delayedrun script after applying rerwin's patch, but forgot about it.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#25 Post by BarryK »

Regarding the theme used in Wary 096, it has been the same theme for awhile, and Wary testers are probably getting a bit bored with it.

However, it is fairly pleasant I think, so perhaps I will just stay with it for the 5.0-final. The official release after that can have a new theme.

zigbert

#26 Post by zigbert »

rcrsn51 wrote:
zigbert wrote:Peasyscan didn't work for my Epson 2400, while xsane does.
Please provide some more details. Was the scanner detected? Could you do a preview?
It is detected.....before I connected the scanner, I got a not-found-message, and gui didn't show up. When connected gui shows, but nothing happens when pressing the 'Scan' button.

Sigmund

Stripe

#27 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

have been using 094 and just downloaded 096, it's looking very good. I think this is the first time my printer has worked with cups without rcrsn51 having to help :lol: (thanks for all the help rcrsn51, you are the cups wizard)

I am just confused by one thing, I have wary installed on a usb stick without a save file (I have put the setup .conf files for my system in the sfs) the icons say the usb stick is not mounted but I am getting a do not remove usb warning message. would it be safe to remove the usb stick as long as the icons say it is not mounted? as I wish to use this installation as a secure/private web browser running totaly in ram (to avoid tracking cookies and other nastys) and do not want to create a save file.

Thanks everybody for all your hard work
Stripe

zigbert

#28 Post by zigbert »

Barry wrote:Regarding nVidia, I presume that you ran the Video Upgrade Wizard and it reported that there is no commercial PET package available for your card? But, you did find a suitable one in PPM?
Yes

Code: Select all

# lspci -nn -m | grep VGA
01:00.0 "VGA compatible controller [0300]" "nVidia Corporation [10de]" "G86 [GeForce 8400M GS] [0427]" -ra1 "Acer Incorporated [ALI] [1025]" "Device [011e]"
Regarding SDL, yeah, I thinking, should take that out, it is only in there to play the games. Oh yes, also 'ffplay', the ffmpeg cli player -- but don't need that.
If you take out ffplay, will you please offer it as a pet. It might be interesting to play with :D
A gtkdialog alternative to Gparted would save so much space!!!!
The problem with Gparted is that it is written using the gtkmm libs, which I compile linked statically. Consequently the Gparted PET package is 1MB -- so the .iso file gets increased by 1MB.
It seems that there still are projects for hungry developers......

eprv

wary 096

#29 Post by eprv »

looks good, extra fonts are great
some minor problems:
modem detection messages at boot up change screen location
no mouse cursor after restart x
Intel Atom and GMA 950

wjaguar

#30 Post by wjaguar »

BarryK wrote:Wary does not have that set in /etc/profile. Well, all Woof-built puppies do not have it set.
Have you looked? ;-)
I downloaded "wary-096.iso", unpacked the .sfs, and there it was. Hence the warning. And BTW, this is how it got there: http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01389

pakt

xorgwizard problem remains in wary-096

#31 Post by pakt »

Barry, the problem with xorgwizard’s text menus below the screen’s edge remains.

Just to clarify, this happens when I update the video driver to Intel or nVidia (two different PCs).

Initially, when booting, there are no problems with the text menus in xorgwizard - they all fit nicely and install the vesa driver (16bit).

It is during installation of either the Intel or nVidia driver that xorgwizard’s text menus extend below the bottom of the screen.

Btw, when I try to upgrade the video driver on the PC with nVidia graphics, it reports “Sorry, do not have your video chip
Last edited by pakt on Sun 14 Nov 2010, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

rcrsn51

#32 Post by rcrsn51 »

zigbert wrote: When connected gui shows, but nothing happens when pressing the 'Scan' button.
Please run it from the command line with

peasyscan
and check for error messages. If that doesn't show anything, go to the folder /usr/local/peasyscan and run

./xscanimage-peasy
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 08 Nov 2010, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#33 Post by BarryK »

wjaguar wrote:
BarryK wrote:Wary does not have that set in /etc/profile. Well, all Woof-built puppies do not have it set.
Have you looked? ;-)
I downloaded "wary-096.iso", unpacked the .sfs, and there it was. Hence the warning. And BTW, this is how it got there: http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01389
Yes, I have looked, it is NOT set.

That blog post was a temporary solution. Later on I obtained an updated Rox-Filer, after reporting the problem to the developers, and I removed that temporary fix. This is all documented on my blog.

The code is still there in /etc/profile, but it is commented-out -- that is what the '#' in column one does.

shinobar

Re: xorgwizard problem remains in wary-096

#34 Post by shinobar »

pakt wrote:Barry, the problem with xorgwizard’s text menus below the screen’s edge remains.
Just to clarify, this happens when I update the video driver to Intel or nVidia (two different PCs).
Initially, when booting, there are no problems with the text menus in xorgwizard - they all fit nicely and install the vesa driver (16bit).
It is during installation of either the Intel or nVidia driver that xorgwizard’s text menus extend below the bottom of the screen.
@Barry and @pakt

Occurs with some NVIDIA graphic tips seems with some European keyboard.
I suspect the code writing /etc/fontmap.
See my post:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2&start=14
Last edited by shinobar on Tue 09 Nov 2010, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

upnorth

#35 Post by upnorth »

Am running live right now, and nicoedit quit crashing on file open dialogue. The only thing different now is that utf8 is checked and x restarted. Nicoedit crashed the first time after this, but not since.

VIDEO REPORT: Wary Puppy, version 096

Chip description:
oem: ATI MACH64

Driver used by Xorg:
mach64

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

zigbert

#36 Post by zigbert »

upnorth wrote:The only thing different now is that utf8 is checked
Where did you check to activate utf8. This could probably solve my problems with non-english chars in viewnior

Sigmund

zigbert

#37 Post by zigbert »

rcrsn51 wrote:
zigbert wrote: When connected gui shows, but nothing happens when pressing the 'Scan' button.
Please run it from the command line with

peasyscan
and check for error messages. If that doesn't show anything, go to the folder /usr/local/peasyscan and run

./xscanimage-peasy
Attachments
forum.png
(32.22 KiB) Downloaded 1643 times

zigbert

#38 Post by zigbert »

I succeeded to set up my wacom tablet (graphire 3) after editing xorg.conf. I have not tested pressure-sensitivity because of the lack of Gimp.

The cursor position is acting CLOSE to absolute (in opposite to a relative mouse-position), but not perfectly. Is there anyway to fine-tune the driver settings?

Sigmund

Terryphi

Unreliable flash performance with Opera

#39 Post by Terryphi »

All versions of Wary since 070 have produced unreliable flash performance for me in Opera 10.63 browser. Although it is recognised as a plugin by Opera it does not work consistently with all sites.

Flash does work at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ - click on Live BBC News Channel on the right. (I believe that access is only allowed from the UK so it cannot be tested from elsewhere.)

Flash does not work at http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/ which should report the version of flash in use.

It does not work at http://www.lovefilm.com if you click on one of the trailers.

There are no such problems with Seamonkey. If you are using Opera with Wary 096 can you confirm the problem?

rcrsn51

#40 Post by rcrsn51 »

@zigbert: That's too bad. Peasyscan uses the xscanimage plugin to communicate with the SANE backend. This has been tested successfully with HP, Canon and Brother scanners. I don't have access to an Epson unit right now, so I don't know if all Epsons will fail or just your model.

Xscanimage is also used by Gimp to access scanners. It would be interesting to know if your Epson 2400 will work that way.