Puppy 1.0.4 BareBones
No votes

Total votes: 29

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Puppy is 2

#1 Post by Lobster »

Two years ago Puppy was started

To celebrate I am running Puppy in his Birthday Suit. The incredible and smallest, cutest, 39meg Bare Bones Puppy . . .

I had no HTML WSIWYG composer (as in 1.0.3 with Mozilla) but after installing Firefox (Firefox has its own installer - just download and run)
I added CuneAform and just for fun (BareBones comes with FTP)
I also downloaded FireFTP

These are examples of the Tools / Extensions of Firefox

The FireFox team are nobodies XULs (zools/fools) and Firefox can offer the connected Pup many new tools.

. . . most everyone I know uses gmail or hotmail (wash your mouth out Crusty) so I thought this would be easier . . .
Pah! It was quicker to set up Sylpheed in Barebones. Text only and woosh - typical Puppy. Love it.

Also I would recommend from Pupget; Tuxcards. Great for storing addresses, coding, any bits of text - just plonk them in.

Talking of Plonk - raise your paws and glasses, beer cans, water bowls,
Congratulations to Barry and the whole team.

Puppy = FUN
Hooray

Did you vote in the poll yet?

and if you wondering what Puppy for Win98 is . . .
http://www.freeveda.org/linux/puppy/
Last edited by Lobster on Tue 26 Jul 2005, 04:08, edited 5 times in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Hey yeah :D :D :D
Puppy is two!!!

Rich

#3 Post by Rich »

Happy Birthday Puppy !
( and many more )

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Ian »

Happy Birthday, I'll drink to that.

Mathiasdm

#5 Post by Mathiasdm »

Wait... Was I supposed to choose the version that I was using, or the version I started with? :oops:

papaschtroumpf

#6 Post by papaschtroumpf »

what exactly is puppy barebones? is it basically puppy-unleashed-core-1.0.x without any packages from pupget_packages-1?
Mandriva LE 2005 user and puppy newbie

BarryK
Puppy Master

#7 Post by BarryK »

papaschtroumpf wrote:what exactly is puppy barebones? is it basically puppy-unleashed-core-1.0.x without any packages from pupget_packages-1?
See the Puppy News page.

#8 Post by Guest »

Sad to see the Incredible, fantastic bringer back to life of old laptops was left out......hahahahahaha

Seriously congrats Barry and thanks you've been an inspiration right back from the days of the Assenbly Language PC Architecture book

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Puplet Atheros 1.0.3, Puppy Smurf 1.0.3 Puplet

#9 Post by Lobster »

:)

It was not available or I did not understand it (have not run it) when the poll was constructed. I have mentioned it on the news page (as far as I remember) of the wiki. I gave it the code name Puplet Atheros 1.0.3

Hope that name is OK . . .

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/LatestNews

More users and feedback would be great. Hopefully Barry is looking at your work (which he was hoping to download) and adding some aspects to Puppy 1.0.4

Looks like Papasmurf is about to issue a new live CD - that did not make the poll either . . .

I wonder if we can call it Puppy Smurf?

:shock:
Last edited by Lobster on Thu 30 Jun 2005, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Walt H

#10 Post by Walt H »

I cast my vote for Puppy 1.0.3, although I was running Puppy-Opera 1.0.2, which has two things I prefer to the current version: Opera (which I will run again once 1.0.4 comes out) and a list of boot options on the splash screen. I prefer Opera to Mozilla for several reasons.

First, it seems to me to render pages much nicer or cleaner. Second, it has a built-in RSS feed reader. Third, when I hover over a link, it actually shows me the URL without having to right-click and select Properties (as Mozilla seems to require). Fourth, it seems to me to be much more configurable out of the box.

Opera has a built-in e-mail program for those who want such things, yet it is smaller than Mozilla, even the stripped version included in Puppy. True, it doesn't have a WYSIWYG web editor, but if Amaya or maybe Nvu are/were available as dotpups, would the editor in Mozilla be needed?

Just my $.10 worth. (I tend to get a bit long winded sometimes, plus I had to account for inflation :) )
Walt

Now that you point it out to me, the answer seems painfully obvious.

papaschtroumpf

Re: Puplet Atheros 1.0.3, Puppy Smurf 1.0.3 Puplet

#11 Post by papaschtroumpf »

Lobster wrote: Looks like Papasmurf is about to issue a new live CD - that did not make the poll either . . .
I wonder if we can call it Puppy Smurf?
I am working on a live CD, but I am about to take a month long vacation with little computer access and even less Internet access (although I'm taking my puppy with me, my 1G flash drive arrived today :D )

So my liveCD will likely be based on 1.0.4 by the time I get to it.

One of the tings I am trying to do is to pick the "best" of every application and leave the rest out. Only one programmer's editor, only one browser, only one terminal, only one VNC/Rdesktop, only one WM, etc...

Of course "best" is quite subjective, I tend to go for slightly more full-feature apps but nothing too overweight. The browser will be Firefox for sure, the WM is more than likely going to be IceWM and I'll probably run mrxvt.

Not sure what the graphic editing program will be, xpaint or gimp are my first two choices. No vector graphic app.

The office applications must be as compatible with M$ Office as possible, so that's probably AbiWord, not sure for Excel compatibility....

I have not settled on a "programmer's" editor. I want it to have syntax highlighting, support multiple documents and I also want it to have key bindings as close to leafpad as possible so it's easy to switch between the two (that means CTRL-F for search). open to suggestions here. Beaver with better key bindings would work, also looking at NEdit, etc...

I want full remote access/file exchange capabillities built in, that means SSH (with port forwarding support), VNC, RDesktop, FTP, BitTorrent, maybe NFS...

I have not even started evaluating multimedia apps, although I would probably choose only one of xine or mplayer. I want CD burning apps too.

I may include some games, or I may leave them to added later as dotpups/unleashed.

Finally I want a small core of command line only apps in case I run into hardware that can't start X properly. This would include elinks, a command line music player, etc...

That's the plan, and I'm doing it for me, but I will gladly share the result of my efforts.
Mandriva LE 2005 user and puppy newbie

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: Puplet Atheros 1.0.3, Puppy Smurf 1.0.3 Puplet

#12 Post by Lobster »

papaschtroumpf wrote:
Lobster wrote: The office applications must be as compatible with M$ Office as possible, so that's probably AbiWord, not sure for Excel compatibility....
Well you will be glad to know that Barry is hopefully releasing releasing Open Office as a Pupget for 1.0.4

1July05

Over a few days I attempted to compile OpenOffice, but was forced to give up. Instead, I focussed my attention on reducing the size of a precompiled binary downloaded from www.openoffice.org. I have got the compressed size down to about 43M -- that's wordprocessor, WYSIWYG HTML editor, spreadsheet editor, vector graphics editor, and presentation editor and player. I have made it into an Unleashed/PupGet package, but it still needs lots of testing. A picture gallery will be an extra PupGet package of about 3M and there will also be a dictionary package.
If this happens it will be . . . awesome

:)

Glad you chose Puppy Now? You Lucky Pups!

8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

#13 Post by Guest »

BarryK wrote:Hey yeah :D :D :D
Puppy is two!!!
Happy Birth Day to the Puppy :D :D 8) :D :D

cygnus

Re: Puppy is 2

#14 Post by cygnus »

Lobster wrote:<snip>

and if you wondering what Puppy for Win98 is . . .
http://www.freeveda.org/linux/puppy/
I'm downloading this now. I think it would run great on my desktop! No more CD to boot.

If I already have a pup001 file, this should just open Puppy. Am I right about this?

And happy birthday to The Pup. Without a doubt my favorite Linux flavor.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

JaDy

#15 Post by JaDy »

I hope to upload PupWin98.zip with Puppy Linux version 1.0.4 within a few days.
Felicitations & Facilitations, Rev. John G. Derrickson
Wrote fast. Goofs happen. Tell me.

cygnus

#16 Post by cygnus »

JaDy wrote:I hope to upload PupWin98.zip with Puppy Linux version 1.0.4 within a few days.
Sounds good. I installed the current version on my machine, but it has isues (I have 1.0.4 pup001 and usr_cram.fs files with the 1.0.3 kernel). As soon as the new PupWin98 is uploaded, let us know.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast