USB to serial adapters

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
donde

USB to serial adapters

#1 Post by donde »

This may have not been asked before. I have a USB to Serial Adapter that works with XP. Could this device be used with Puppy? A Linux driver is involved, I'm sure and I guess like wireless adapters, not all are Linux capable. Just thought I would throw this question out there.

donde

Brian C

#2 Post by Brian C »

Where in the world did you get a USB to serial adapter? I searched like mad for one a couple years ago when I got a USB gift and didn't have a USB-enabled computer. I'd come to think that they didn't exist!

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

yeah donde,

you reminded me that i've got a usb-serial adaptor as well. (i bought a pic serial programming board at one stage, forgetting i had no serial port!).

i might play around with the adaptor & see if i can communicate with it. this site looks promising:

http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/x356.html

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

Brian C,

mine is USB to serial...as far as i know serial to USB doesn't exist.

pakt

Re: USB to serial adapters

#5 Post by pakt »

donde wrote:This may have not been asked before. I have a USB to Serial Adapter that works with XP. Could this device be used with Puppy? A Linux driver is involved, I'm sure and I guess like wireless adapters, not all are Linux capable. Just thought I would throw this question out there.

donde
donde, please see this thread (5th post down) for how I got my USB-to-serial adapter working in Puppy: http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=7251

Of course your adapter may not use the same chip. Mine is identified as vend/prod 0x403/0x6001.

Paul
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux