Is there a wine for older Windows programs?

Using applications, configuring, problems
oui

Is there a wine for older Windows programs?

#1 Post by oui »

hi

did you have experience with a low version of wine and puppy?

i have different olds programms (sometimes old Window3.1-programms, especially my dictionnaries like the excellent commercial "Larousse" for French, or self maked dictionnaries, a enorm amount of self working, for different languages in the excellent old software of the genial swiss programmer hannes keller: i write German and the computer translates immediatly each word I finish to write into English -or Japanese, yes, it goes!...- and ask me if it don't knows the word and it want to learn it, or the excellent old microsoft ;-) 3.1-programm "cardfile.exe" for texts AND for littel pictures AND dialer, or the fast browser OffByOne, completely recordable on only one floppy and working completely without any part of Microsoft-Internet-Explorer - you can really erase MS-IE completely: it works! But it has no Java and you have to know that because different interessant web pages don't open or work properly without java, so your bank house etc.) what I can't completely miss, so that I feel me dependant from MS-Windows... This programms are partially not able to work properly in the "big wine" of the "big new Linux versions" like Mandrake because of the protect mode in wine for the reason that the intercommunication under the applications is restricted by the protect mode.

yours truly

oui

qa1433

#2 Post by qa1433 »

I would really like to help you out. I have crossover office and would like to know how to install it here. However, I have not tried to install it asa compliled program. I am going to try that. Hope you get an answer soon!
paul 8)

oui

#3 Post by oui »

Bonjour

One year later, I see that a lot of users did open this page and are interesting to know more about the thema WINE

I did write longer on this thema in the Wiki because I find that WINE is really something good for newbies coming from Windows

The Official package from Wine HQ is really extremly easy to install on Puppy without detour by a Dotpup or Pupget package so you install the newest that you will find on the site of Wine HQ.

Wine works wunderfull with a lot of programms including official programs from Microsoft.

Please see:

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/TheRenegadeProgramm11Wine

I wish you good succes!

salut

OuI