Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 19 Apr 2014, 21:10
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
A build server for Puppy
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
rarsa

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun 2005, 17:29    Post subject:  A build server for Puppy  

Hey, I got an idea:

What if we could have a shared Build server for people that want to build applications in puppy but do not have the other distro required?

Actually that would guarantee that all applications are using the same libraries and configuration!

Of course someone would have to donate and host that build computer (vector does not require a big computer).

It may be set up as a time share where users would get time and workspace allocated.

We could establish some very restrictive security policies that would not let the users run anything but the make tools in a sandbox.

I havent thought this idea through. I just wanted to post it before i forget it.

Any ideas, reactions or volunteers?

I cannot volunteer my desktop as I share it with my kids that still like to boot into windows,
but I volunteer my time to investigate the requirements and try different things, I can also create a test environment on my desktop for a proof of concept.
papaschtroumpf

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun 2005, 17:49    Post subject:  

I might be able to host it on a spare box. PII 400mhz so it wouldn't be too zippy, be if we're only talking about command line SSH access that could be OK.
Wouldn't happen before mi-dAugust though, I'm leaving for an extended vacation in a few days.

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jun 2005, 04:18    Post subject:  

Looking through the bootscripts.....There's an allowance to to mount another squashfs file.......Now if that had a development platform on it........

Would have to recompile gcc to use the /opt path and work out library and include locations but could well worth it.......

Then a simple ./configure & make from the command line........

Or a complete distro in a file (it possible to keep it small) and then chroot to do your builds.....

Tho once I get back onto adsl I could supply a P4 2G or Athlon XP2000 for the job...have it setup down in the "Cellar" and have my router forward ssh on a non std port to that box....
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jun 2005, 04:36    Post subject: Re: A build server for Puppy  

rarsa wrote:
Hey, I got an idea:

What if we could have a shared Build server for people that want to build applications in puppy but do not have the other distro required?

Smile A great idea.

In the meantime we can create a thread of "Please compile this' and those with Vector Linux can do so. Then each compiled program can be added to our store of dotpups/pupgets. This tends to work already on a casual basis . . .

If others have dedicated servers to offer - what else can we do?
This forum (generously donated by John Murga) on his server space has proved very successful. One of the reasons I became involved with Puppy was I really liked the old Simple Forum (still available as an archive) and then when this one took off (we now have over 300 registered users)

Wow

Bow Wow Cool

GuestToo
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jun 2005, 16:50    Post subject:  

some of my dotpups already link to /opt (for example, eboard, mplayer)

mounting a squash-fs would not break them if /opt was made writeable using unionfs
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Jump to: