Puppeee 4.4 Beta Testing

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jemimah

#41 Post by jemimah »

Partack,

Using the new kernel I sent you, can you see if the egalax driver loaded by running

Code: Select all

lsmod|grep egalax
Also can you send me a copy of your /proc/bus/input/devices file?

Partack

#42 Post by Partack »

jemimah wrote:Using the new kernel I sent you, can you see if the egalax driver loaded by running

Code: Select all

lsmod|grep egalax
made sure it was exactly as you typed, even copy and pasted to make double sure.. nothing happened when i entered that command in a terminal.
jemimah wrote:Also can you send me a copy of your /proc/bus/input/devices file
sure, i'll send it over to you via PM =) you should get it soon.
(sorry for how slow this post was.. uni assignment. =P)
~PtK

jemimah

#43 Post by jemimah »

I've compiled the evtouch xorg driver and also added the proprietary driver from the eeti website and compiled eeti's tkusb kernel module. These will be in the next Puppeee beta.

There is a discussion of configuring touchpads on puppy here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 958#295649 If we can get thing working, I can fix the xorgwizard to work automatcally. Somethings in Puppeee are different than other Puppy version - such as the evdev module is compiled into the kernel but a lot of this stuff will be similar.

And also pretty good documentation if you download the official drivers here: http://home.eeti.com.tw/web20/eGalaxTou ... Driver.htm. But I'm uncertain if the official eeti drivers will support the t101mt or not so we'll have to experiment.

Stripe

#44 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Got a couple of new sfs files to test for puppeee/fluppy, both are media players compiled totaly from source and both include the latest stable mplayer-1.0rc3
Note: these are only test versions and have had all help files and docs stripped to test the binaries and their dependancies

GMplayer1.0.0.sfs has the popular gnome-mplayer-1.0.0 front end and the link is:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BwWD08 ... ist&num=50

SMplayer.0.6.9.sfs has the larger smplayer-0.6.9 front end and the link for this is:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BwWD08 ... ist&num=50

Have fun and please let me know what you think
Stripe

morgonzola

#45 Post by morgonzola »

hey so have you seen the new iron? any thoughts about it?

the pet is here
(i know its a lupu pet but it is a pet regardless)

and i think it needs glibc =>2.11.1

the wiki page is here
actual site is here

im using pupeee 1.0 right now and it has glibc2.10 and i have heard you don't update this without breaking your system. does this pupeee have glibc >=2.11.1?

jemimah

#46 Post by jemimah »

You can see my thoughts on Iron here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 909#467909

I would consider switching to Chromium. but I prefer the Chrome builds because of the glibc issue and because it's not a pain to get the nonfree codecs.

Also I'm unsure if Chromium has more need for user-agent spoofing or not. Chrome tends to be supported by most websites. Do you know if Chromium has more issues with websites refusing to support it? Or does it advertise itself as being Chrome?

Stripe

#47 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Does the linux version of chrome still send messages to google? I know when using windows I had the firewall set up so that I had to manualy approve any connection to the internet. and chrome was trying at least 4 or 5 times a day without it even being run. (probably why I like to use firefox)
Is there a similar option on the linux firewall? so that you can see what traffic is taking place without your knowledge?

Stripe

jemimah

#48 Post by jemimah »

Chrome comes with an autoupdater cronjob - which I do not include.

The firewall doesn't have that approve feature that the windows one does, but you can download a sniffer if you like.

2lss

#49 Post by 2lss »

In regard to the cursor behavior...
jemimah wrote:Yes, it'll need another build without the elantech driver.
Are you planning to build a kernel w/out the elantech driver?

If not I will give it a shot, just not sure about splitting the modules into the zbXXXX.sfs

jemimah

#50 Post by jemimah »

I'm about to upload 2.6.35.7 so you might want to wait a bit.
You won't need to mess with the modules at all - elantech is built in vmlinuz.

morgonzola

#51 Post by morgonzola »

ah i see i see well i was only saying all taht because i took a look at some benchmarks and its speed looked pretty sexy not going to lie.

but then again opera 11 was higher down on the botom....
so huh

just out of curiosity what is your feeling about the way you pick browsers on first boot like in lucid puppy and such?

jemimah

#52 Post by jemimah »

I wouldn't believe anything on SRWare's site. What kind of privacy advocate puts full page animated ads on their website? Some douchebag's just spreading FUD for publicity and ad revenue.

----

Not having a real browser in the base image cripples the usefulness of puppy as a live cd. If we can get a small, stable Midori build - I might switch. But the current one crashes.

morgonzola

#53 Post by morgonzola »

heh thats a nice way of putting it
and yea i get what you are saying about midori however my experience with midori was it didn't let me go on facebook. so that might be a problem for some people (like me)

speaking of browsers, have you looked at the newest opera at all?
chrome is all good and i like it but this looks interesting. does it go well on net books or does chrome just sit better with the display

jemimah

#54 Post by jemimah »

There is a Midori build with SSL support - it's just not in Lucid.

I'll check out the newest opera when I get a chance. I care the most about how long it takes to open after clicking the icon - rendering speed is secondary.

I really like Chrome's minimalist GUI. Plus I still have nightmares about the giant banner ad that used to be a part of Opera - I suppose I should move on.

jemimah

#55 Post by jemimah »

Gebbly

Altered Universal Installer?

#56 Post by Gebbly »

Hi there, havent played around with puppy for a good few months but previously tried out a couple of different Pups.

Previously on other Pups after booting from USB and trying to then install to HDD when using the Universal Installer you would get prompts in which you could specify a frugal or full install but the Universal Installer in Pupeee I tried last night did not have this option.

Does the latest version of the Universal Installer not give the frugal/full option anymore? Is Pupeee using an older version of installer which didnt have this option? Or has it been deliberately disabled for some reason?

Being on a 901-3G I was hoping for a frugal install but am unsure whether the system is now frugal or full. Can anyone offer any advice? How can I tell if it is a frugal install? How can I control whether the install will be frugal or full?

thanks

jemimah

#57 Post by jemimah »

morgonzola

#58 Post by morgonzola »

well I didn't really start using Linux till about a year ago so I wouldn't know about such nightmears :lol:

but on a different note, I like the idea of rover speedlaunch thingy but I have been using launchy because is puts it's first guess in the selection box so no clicking is involved and secondly because it has some plugins
what are your thoughts on these two programs?
I can guess rover has the advantage on Being smaller because launchy needs some extra libs but is there an advantage other than that?

morgonzola

#59 Post by morgonzola »

by the way i just tried out the newest release with beryl and it is awesome

took me a little to find it out but the "expose" function is called scale. that in itself won me over :D i looovveee expose and i missed it so when i switched from ubuntu but now its here again YAY

im on a eee 1005hab with the 2GB ram upgrade and its not noticeably slowing things down

one of the effects with cairo dock seemed to make it go nutso i belive it was the icons animations and effects category if you made them disappear with black hole. but that went away and i don't know if it was a one time thing or a reoccurring

sometimes when you open a window, its bottom goes out of frame, specifically the cairo dock settings stuff

but other then that its great

thank you you have breathed new life into my netbook. now i can tell all those people who think linux looks terrible to suck it----i mean to respectfully evaluate my awsome desktop effects :lol:

jemimah

#60 Post by jemimah »

morgonzola wrote:well I didn't really start using Linux till about a year ago so I wouldn't know about such nightmears :lol:

but on a different note, I like the idea of rover speedlaunch thingy but I have been using launchy because is puts it's first guess in the selection box so no clicking is involved and secondly because it has some plugins
what are your thoughts on these two programs?
I can guess rover has the advantage on Being smaller because launchy needs some extra libs but is there an advantage other than that?
The only reason I don't include launchy is size, and last time I tried it, it didn't work all that well on Puppy. It had some problems in flwm especially.

The plus of Rover is that the backend is written in Bash, so if you can script, you don't really need plugins - you can just modify it to do whatever you want. (Also, you don't really have to click - just press down, then enter).