Printer wizard/OS lockup (disregard)

Booting, installing, newbie
oldguy

Printer wizard/OS lockup (disregard)

#1 Post by oldguy »

I looked through the index of beginners help forum and a few pages of the topics discussed and did not see these addressed. They could be there but since I cannot get a connection any faster than 19,200 tonight, it would take a very long time to browse.

I used the printer wizard to set-up the printer, and either I did not understand the directions or there is something not working properly since the printer would not work for any application I tried. I made sure I selected the printer as the default. One issue, when I finished the wizard it stated I should make sure I selected the printer allocated, but the printer on the table, in the next step, did not match the printer specified in the script. The printer listed was a default printer and not the one specified. I tried adding the printer manually, but I am sure I got the string wrong when it asked for the address, and am not sure what to put in the field.

The second issue concerns the system locking up when a video file is selected and the application hangs. I have to shut down and reboot.
On reboot the script states not shut down properly, which I expected, and tells me I can restart X by typing 'xwin'. After I type xwin and the system restores, I have the desktop icons but not the toolbar at the bottom and cannot get the application menu whether I right click or left click on the
desktop with the mouse.

I guess I should have mentioned, I am using puppy 1.08 from CD, and letting it time out to the default login.

Neither one of the issues is critical, I intend to use puppy mostly for wordprocessing and e-mail so the video application hanging up the system is not that important. I also found Puppy recognized my flash drive quicker than my Win98 system, so I am not too concerned about the printing since I can transfer the documents to my flash drive and then print them from my Windows system.

This is my first posting, so it is probably too long, but I wanted to make one more observation. I have liked AbiWord and used it in Windows, but it seems to take awhile for documents to load on my system. When I load the same document in AbiWord on Puppy, it is there almost instantly. It does not seem to matter whether it is in .rtf or .abw format. I do not know if that is a Linux vs. Windows thing or if it is a Puppy thing, but it sure is quick. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.