Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 27 Aug 2014, 09:16
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
XMMS not installing right???
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
timbrown

PostPosted: Tue 16 Nov 2010, 15:19    Post_subject:  XMMS not installing right???
Sub_title: Ultimately trying to get Linex USB transmitter working...

Hello! i'm new to Puppy and really liking it. I found out about this OS while searching for (PCLOS) linux drivers for my Linex USB transmitter.

I've tried to get this going, per the instructions here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=67085&sid=d82af07a4e106605bb5ff1c70ce5d91f

...but installing xmms isn't panning out.

I installed the dotpuphandler first, then "puppybasic" per the package handler. I then had it install xmms.

When I click on XMMS, nothing happens.

When I type xmms at the console, I get the following:
Error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory.

Not sure what to do from here. Can anyone please help? I'd really like to get this transmitter working!
Makoto

PostPosted: Tue 16 Nov 2010, 15:45    Post_subject:  

XMMS requires GTK 1 to be installed, I believe, which most recent Puppy versions don't have (they have GTK 2). There should also be at least one or more .pet/.pup installers for GTK 1 somewhere on the forum; use this search page to search the forum for them.
timbrown

PostPosted: Tue 16 Nov 2010, 16:04    Post_subject:  

thank you! I found a .pup file, but it failed to install. Something about a file missing...

However I did find a tar file. I'll give it a look and do some searching on how to install this. It has been a few years.
Makoto

PostPosted: Tue 16 Nov 2010, 16:39    Post_subject:  

Weird. The search page I linked to isn't working for me, today, for some reason. Shocked

I found a .pet for GTK 1.2 on the forum with a normal Google search: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=438861#438861. Maybe that one will work.

timbrown

PostPosted: Tue 16 Nov 2010, 16:48    Post_subject:  

THANK YOU! xmms is now properly installed.

I did a "modprobe snd-usb-audio" and it is reporting that modprobe.conf is deprecated. Something else to work on....

Thanks again!
timbrown

PostPosted: Tue 16 Nov 2010, 19:11    Post_subject:  

Great! it's working...after a fashion! much further along than with any other distro to date.

Two issues yet, which I'll look into, one of which has to do with getting a pls file stream to work in xmms. This was easy in PCLINUXOS but must need to change a setting here...

the other has to do with getting the volume control back on my task bar...it disappeared for some reason!

Again, thanks....!
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum