Wary 0.9.8 (098) feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
Billtoo

Re: Has anyone made ATi Catalyst work under Wary?

#61 Post by Billtoo »

Sit Heel Speak wrote:Has anyone got ati_fglrx-10.10-k2.6.31.14-w5.pet (in the PPM repository) working? I suspect that it is too new for Wary's Xorg 7.3+ and I'll have to compile fglrx 9.8 if I want Catalyst.
I installed the ati-driver-installer-10-10-x86.x86_64.run driver on
this laptop in wary 098. I had the kernel_src-2.6.31.14-patched.sfs
and the wary_devx_098.sfs files installed and I installed it by
exiting to the prompt and running the file.

I also installed a qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.7.0-i486.pet that I
compiled in quirky 1.3 (I think), so I can start the catalyst control
center in the terminal now.

Edit: I did use the ati_fglrx-10.10-k2.6.31.14-w5.pet in 098 on this desktop, guess I didn't need that qt pet on the laptop.

Edit: On this desktop I used the Video Upgrade Wizard to download and install the ati_fglrx-10.10-k2.6.31.14-w5.pet, on the other desktop I had the pet on a flash drive.
Attachments
catalyst2pet.jpg
(149.04 KiB) Downloaded 423 times
catalystpet.jpg
(149.24 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
catalyst.scrn.jpg
(85.66 KiB) Downloaded 432 times

Sage

#62 Post by Sage »

Oh dear. Am I barking up the wrong tree? The system that refuses to start, at all, runs on ATI chipset with an ATI-Xpress200 video system. Not so much a show stopper but the show never gets underway. Very rare to see KP with a Puppy. Even more ominous - no relevant comments!

glenco

#63 Post by glenco »

rerwin
Good news. I install the first pet you posted and it fixed the NO CARRIER problem. :)
The first attempt to dial out failed but it did dial and connect anyway, not like before when it instantly went into that repeat NO CARRIER loop.
This message posted from WARY 098 installed on a DVD/RW :)
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.53
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATX3DT9083735
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATX3DT9083735
NO CARRIER
--> No Carrier! Trying again.
--> Sending: ATX3DT9083735
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATX3DT9083735
CONNECT 50667
--> Carrier detected. Starting PPP immediately.
--> Starting pppd at Mon Nov 15 21:27:18 2010
--> pid of pppd: 7932

glenco

Re: Modem driver misbehavior - slusb, slamr, hsfmodem

#64 Post by glenco »

rerwin wrote:Now the bad news. The above drivers fail as follows:

1. hsfmodem (hsfpcibasic2) - locks up the computer while starting a connection. This is the hybrid version, so I plan to compile and try the "full" version to isolate the problem, somewhat.

2. slamr - For a built-in (8086:2486) modem, when connecting, retries on "no carrier" response intefinitely!

3. slusb - Spews trace messages and fails to set up its port, but does not kill the PC. I attach the message log as evidence, in case someone can make sense of it.

So far, my DGC/ACM USB modem and PCtel, ESS and Lucent PCI modems work. I assume the Ageres and Intels still do, but have not verified with 098.
Richard
rerwin
Now I am confused!
The last pet you posted fixed my no carrier problem and my modem IS an:
For a built-in (8086:2486) modem
Everest report:
Hardware ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2486&SUBSYS_4C21134D&REV_02

Sage

#65 Post by Sage »

Just got around to FULL install on 754 board with on-board video (SiS Mirage1) - flawless!
...except, sound is muted, initially.
So, the 939 board with ATIXpress200 remains an enigma.
Hoping to get around to testing on older systems this week or next.

ravensrest

#66 Post by ravensrest »

Yesterday I downloaded Wary098 and copied the iso files to a spare partition (frugal install). Modified menu.lst and rebooted. Came up running on a system consisting of

2.53 MHz Celeron (Pentium 4)
512M memory
Radeon 9200 video
Via 8237 audio

Immediately connected to the web, watched Pirates of the Carribean on DVD, listened to some tunes, opened Abi-Word, Gnumeric, Inkscape, and Mtpaint. All OK, though I didn't try to exercise the last four. Rox and Pfind function well. Created and deleted some icons, changed JWM themes. Mounted a drive or two. But it is still early times.

I did notice that Wary seems to be as fast or faster than any Puppy I've used since 3.0. About the nicest "beta" in a while. Nice work, Barry!

Have since installed sfs of Gimp and OpenOffice. They load and perform as expected. Also installed pet of Ace games. Also all OK.
Last edited by ravensrest on Tue 16 Nov 2010, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.

rerwin

Re: Modem driver misbehavior - slusb, slamr, hsfmodem

#67 Post by rerwin »

glenco wrote:rerwin
Now I am confused!
The last pet you posted fixed my no carrier problem and my modem IS an:
For a built-in (8086:2486) modem
Everest report:
Hardware ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2486&SUBSYS_4C21134D&REV_02
rerwin, in previous message wrote:3. MODULESCONFIG - Corrects preference for slamr module.
This is what corrects the problem. The preference was for the wrong name for the module, snd_intel8x0m. With that fix, the sound-card modem driver is used instead of slamr, which is what malfunctions.
Richard

glenco

#68 Post by glenco »

rerwin
Seeing that the modem works now, I went ahead and did a full HD install.
As expected the modem was not found on first boot so I installed that last pet package you gave me and rebooted. I probed for the modem and still no modem, so I started looking around in bootmanager and found that the snd_intel8x0m was not loading so I added it manually and rebooted.
ttySL0 found and working fine!

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Pupsave

#69 Post by BarryK »

shinobar wrote:Small issue:

Frugal install on sda3/wary. Boot up without pupsave.
At shutdown, offered to make pupsave.
The dialog appears to choose the partition, sda1 as the default whereas boot off from sda3.

I remember old woof did not show the dialog of partition choice in case booted off from some frugal installed partition.
This has come about because Beem wants save-files in a different partition than what Puppy is installed in. Is he the only one wanting this? -- anyway, I have accommodated this requirement, hope it is not confusing.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: mesa, secondlife viewer

#70 Post by BarryK »

shinobar wrote:... Check dependency says still 'xorg_base' missing... 8)
Fixed

BarryK
Puppy Master

#71 Post by BarryK »

01micko wrote:
rxvt -bg yellow -e wget ${PET_URL}${PET_FOLDER}\$PET
Yep that should do it, however I don't think James has a slow connection, all I can put it down to is ibiblio refusing the connection and wget exits. That's what it looked like to me, the download didn't even start.

I have rigorous code in quickpet to prevent this, it's really probably a bit excessive. Maybe just a check that the pet exists would be enough and a "try again later" message for failure.
Well, I have gone the complete paranoid route and written a "heavy duty" file downloader utility. Video Upgrade Wizard and PPM now use it:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01969

Hopefully this will fix all download problems. And of course, my new proxy setup GUI will take care of anyone who connects to Internet through a proxy-server.

shinobar

#72 Post by shinobar »

BarryK wrote:
shinobar wrote:The dialog appears to choose the partition, sda1 as the default whereas boot off from sda3.
This has come about because Beem wants save-files in a different partition than what Puppy is installed in.
Thanks Barry. I see.

Assume i boot off from 'sda3/wary' with 'pmedia=atahd psubdir=wary' boot option.
Wary-098 at shutdown, the dialog shows the partition list where to save.
Hope the default should be 'sda3' in this case.

There is another problem.
If i chose 'sdd1', the USB device, here, Wary may make the warysave in the USB.
But it will not be read at next boot because the boot option has 'pmedia=atahd psubdir=wary'.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#73 Post by Béèm »

BarryK wrote:
shinobar wrote:Small issue:

Frugal install on sda3/wary. Boot up without pupsave.
At shutdown, offered to make pupsave.
The dialog appears to choose the partition, sda1 as the default whereas boot off from sda3.

I remember old woof did not show the dialog of partition choice in case booted off from some frugal installed partition.
This has come about because Beem wants save-files in a different partition than what Puppy is installed in. Is he the only one wanting this? -- anyway, I have accommodated this requirement, hope it is not confusing.
Yes, but as far as I see I need to run, if the save file is on f.e. sda2, with psavemark=2. So I don't have flexibility if I want to save to, say, sdb1. Which I could do before. What psavemark= would go with sdb1?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Wary 0.9.8 (098) feedback

#74 Post by BarryK »

Billtoo wrote:
BarryK wrote: I booted the live cd with pfix=ram
Clicked on the video upgrade wizard and it downloaded the ati pet.
Rebooted and created the save file.
When it got back to the desktop a popup said to exit to the prompt and
type xwin, I did that and the popup appeared again so I ignored it and
clicked on the Nexuiz directory on the hd and started Nexuiz,it works :)

So the last popup advising to exit to the prompt keeps coming up even
after you've installed the pet and followed the instructions.
I am "flying blind" with the ATI PET as can't test it myself.

Anyway, I found the problem, fixed it and re-uploaded the PET (same filename as before).

Billtoo

Re: Wary 0.9.8 (098) feedback

#75 Post by Billtoo »

BarryK wrote:
I am "flying blind" with the ATI PET as can't test it myself.

Anyway, I found the problem, fixed it and re-uploaded the PET (same filename as before).
Thanks, I'll download the new one.

rerwin

#76 Post by rerwin »

glenco wrote:rerwin
Seeing that the modem works now, I went ahead and did a full HD install.
As expected the modem was not found on first boot so I installed that last pet package you gave me and rebooted. I probed for the modem and still no modem, so I started looking around in bootmanager and found that the snd_intel8x0m was not loading so I added it manually and rebooted.
ttySL0 found and working fine!
But did you immediately reboot after the first bootup? Please try that before attempting a workaround. As it stands, I cannot make sense of what happened.

The first time, an HSF driver is used, but fails, setting things up so that the intel8x0m driver get used the next bootup. Give puppy a chance to handle it on its own, before intervening.

Would you verify that yours works that way? You can do that by doing a pupdial CHOOSE > ERASE ERASE. Click the ERASE (Okay) sequence twice, then reboot. You should see "no modem detected" in the connect wizard. Immediately reboot - the ttySL0 device should be detected that time.

This (so far undocumented, but someday) technique is needed only for certain built-in modems that might use one or the other (HSF, Intel) driver, depending on the modem chipset involved. The double ERASE corresponds to the double boot requirement. The first ERASEs the ttySL0 device - rebooting at that point would re-detect the ttySL0. The second ERASE clears the disabling of the HSF driver, so that it will be used on the next bootup. Normally, you would not do the double ERASE, because you would want ttySL0. It is mainly for testing the "two-boot" function.

Curiously, my laptop with the same modem as yours (hardware ID, anyway) used to behave as I describe here. But now the ttySL0 device is detected right away! That is a reason one cannot depend on which module gets the modem.
Richard

rerwin

Conexant modem support fixed!

#77 Post by rerwin »

Barry,
The HSF modem lockup during connection is now corrected in my fix package here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 639#467639

The problem is caused by an incorrect build instruction regarding the "nvm" tarball creation. I have corrected the problem and will PM you the corrected instructions for archiving.

The issue also applies to the HCFPCI modem support, so I have corrected that, too. However, I cannot test that because I don't have a usable HCF modem.
Richard

Sit Heel Speak

ATi Catalyst still not working here under Wary

#78 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Billtoo wrote:...I installed the ati-driver-installer-10-10-x86.x86_64.run driver on this laptop in wary 098. I had the kernel_src-2.6.31.14-patched.sfs and the wary_devx_098.sfs files installed and I installed it by
exiting to the prompt and running the file.
Still not working here. Asus M2NPV-VM board, ATi HD 4550 pci-e vidcard.

The (new, 2nd version) .pet package installs OK. I reboot, it comes up with the yafsplash telling me to restart xwin, I exit X to the prompt, xorgwizard, XOrg, Probe, choose fglrx, test. Test does not succeed. No black screen, no "If you can see this it's OK", it just blinks and comes up showing blanks before the refresh rates and driver-name. Attempting to run xwin anyway gives a black screen.

The compile of ati-driver-installer-10-10-x86.x86_64.run succeeds, and I did then the /lib/modules/fglrx/make_install.sh.

Then did aticonfig --initial, and that produces what appears to be a good /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

But, nope, still won't run.

I have a vague memory of Mark Ulrich, last year, editing xorgwizard to deal with fglrx. Late night here, will look into that angle of it in the morning.

Is anyone else succeeding (or, failing similarly) with Catalyst in Wary?

James C

#79 Post by James C »

Wary 098 live pfix=ram on another old XP box that I had on the shelf.

Working sound and internet as well as the correct 1440x900 resolution on initial boot. As a side note, can't even get over 1024x768 in XP :lol: .

VIDEO REPORT: Wary Puppy, version 098

Chip description:
oem: ATI RAGE128

Driver used by Xorg:
r128

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#

-Computer-
Processor : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.60GHz
Memory : 513MB (135MB used)
Operating System : Puppy Linux 0.09
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Tue 16 Nov 2010 11:53:54 PM CST
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : ICH - Intel 82801BA-ICH2
-

DaveS

#80 Post by DaveS »

Barry, for a long time now, selecting menu>desktop>JWM Configuration>Apply Current GTK Theme to JWM has caused the contents of /root/.jwmrc-tray to be deleted leaving the user with no tray at the bottom of the screen. I have posted about it before and helped a few folks recover their tray, but I dont know how to fix the basic fault.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!