Wary 0.9.8 (098) feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
shinobar

Re: locale and translations

#121 Post by shinobar »

zigbert wrote:I didn't know there existed different uft8-formats.
@zigbert and Barry:
They are not different format or encoding, but the issue of the name of locale.
You found both 'LANG=nb_NO.utf8' and 'LANG=nb_NO.UTF-8' works as for the Gtk applications, but some X applications like urxvt require 'LANG=nb_NO.UTF-8'.
Most of Linux distributions are using '.UTF-8', and some applications assume it.

@zigbert
As for the gettext:
See http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/localization.html,
and visit the topic 'Translate LupQ':
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59142
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

rerwin

#122 Post by rerwin »

Deleted. Posted to wrong thread.

fluxit

#123 Post by fluxit »

I've been unable to get GL acceleration working with the radeon driver with an X1300 on Wary(including 0.9.8.) I've attached my Xorg log. Note these sections:

Code: Select all

(==) RADEON(0): Using XAA acceleration architecture
(II) Loading sub module "xaa"
(II) LoadModule: "xaa"

(II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering enabled
(II) RADEON(0): XAA Render acceleration unsupported on Radeon 9500/9700 and newer. Please use EXA instead.
(II) RADEON(0): Render acceleration disabled

(EE) AIGLX error: Calling driver entry point failed(EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
On quirky 1.3 I have acceleration working, and it is using EXA instead of XAA.

I am booting the live-CD with pfix=ram and installing mesa-6.5.2-w5.pet which is the only mesa that shows up in Puppy Package Manager.
Attachments
xorglog.zip
Xorg.0.log dri not working
(10.88 KiB) Downloaded 625 times

Sit Heel Speak

Possible acceleration failure cause, Intel and Radeon cards

#124 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Something I've spotted, maybe interesting. I can't help but wonder whether this explains a whooo-o-le lotta problems that have been reported with both Intel and Radeon cards, when attempting acceleration.

My plan to issue Catalyst .pet's is on hold until a couple of problems are solved, which I've deduced are due to wary-098 carrying a not-good-enough mesa+glut combination. And so I have begun stepping through the mesa+glut versions, to find one to graft-in that works.

The first two dependencies lacking in wary-098 for compiling mesa+glut, according to http://www.mesa3d.org/install.html, are dri2proto (totally absent from wary-098 even with the devx) and libdrm. mesa needs to be compiled under at least libdrm-2.4.15, but wary-098 carries only libdrm-2.3.0.

So, first I compiled dri2proto-2.3 --hehe, amigo's new2dir is the best thing since sliced silicon-- and then started to compile libdrm-2.4.22 (the latest). For libdrm I used this ./configure line:

./configure --prefix=/usr/X11R7 --build=i486 --host=i486  --enable-static=yes --enable-vmwgfx-experimental-api --enable-nouveau-experimental-api --with-gnu-ld
and got these warnings
gcc during the configure of libdrm-2.4.22 wrote:configure: WARNING: Disabling libdrm_intel. It depends on atomic operations, which were not found for your compiler/cpu. Try compiling with -march=native, or install the libatomics-op-dev package.
configure: WARNING: Disabling libdrm_radeon. It depends on atomic operations, which were not found for your compiler/cpu. Try compiling with -march=native, or install the libatomics-op-dev package.
and the end result was:
gcc at the end of the configure of libdrm-2.4.22 wrote:config.status: creating config.h
config.status: executing depfiles commands
config.status: executing libtool commands

libdrm 2.4.22 will be compiled with:

libkms no
Intel API no
vmwgfx API yes
Radeon API no
Nouveau API yes
Well! I certainly don't want to build mesa under a libdrm which was built without libatomics-op-dev!

Now to look into this "libatomics-op-dev package" thing-y...

Sage

#125 Post by Sage »

Well spotted bigpup. The takeover of ATI was accompanied by a pile of problems, although they were in the mire technically before that and things have not got better since. But what to do? Let's hope BK can handle the plethora of driver requirements without asking punters to load/unload masses of code.

rerwin

#126 Post by rerwin »

Barry, zekebaby,
I have fixed a bug that may help zekebaby with his sound issue. Please use the "-5" version of my modem_update package.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 639#467639
Richard

Shep

#127 Post by Shep »

I described this problem back in Wary094 and was told to upgrade. So I downloaded the 098 iso and burnt the CD, but the problem remains. As Wary is the only Puppy which recognises my 3G modem, I have been pinning my hopes on it working on this machine.

Basically, only about 1 in every 6 or 7 attempts to boot (I boot off the CD) is successful; the other attempts all end prematurely at this point:

Loading drivers needed to access disk drivers   ... done
Searching for Puppy files in computer disk drives .....
    Searching deeper, sub-sub-folders in partitions ...... wary_098.sfs not
found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console .....
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off 
Success seems no more likely whether I use pfix=ram or not. (Though without pfix=ram the string "wary_098.sfs not found" is changed to "boot partition not found".)

I'm using a P4 560 MHz with 640MB of RAM.

Out of curiosity I picked up my live CDs for TXZ and Dpup009, and tried them (just twice each). TXZ booted fine with, and then without, pfix=ram. Dpup009 booted with the CD and a preexisting save file, but using pfix=ram it barfed at the same point as does Wary (except "... wary_098.sfs not found" became "... dpup009.sfs not found".)

For the last few months I've been using TXZ pup and it hasn't missed a beat, so to now find a pup behaving in such a temperamental manner is disquieting, to say the least. I am posting this from Wary and using the 3G modem, so I've proven it can work on this machine. I hate having to shut it down, it works beautifully. But it took a couple of hours of rebooting and fiddling to get to this point. (I'll keep the modem woes for a later post; it's getting too close to the season to be merry to heap too much gloom in one post.) :wink:

rcrsn51

#128 Post by rcrsn51 »

This sounds like a hardware problem with the optical drive. Do you have another machine on which you can test the CDs?

Or try a boot CD-USB setup like here.

Shep

#129 Post by Shep »

rcrsn51 wrote:This sounds like a hardware problem with the optical drive. Do you have another machine on which you can test the CDs?
I didn't detect any drive hunting, so didn't even consider CD drive. There are 2 drives, so I'll connect the other one and try it.

EDIT: a change of DVD drive cleared up the "sfs file not found" problem. Thanks.
Last edited by Shep on Tue 23 Nov 2010, 07:18, edited 1 time in total.

Sit Heel Speak

wary-098 devx's pinstall.sh does not execute

#130 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

If I copy pinstall.sh from the devx to / (in a wary-098 full install)

and then attempt to execute /pinstall.sh, I get

# ./pinstall.sh
./pinstall.sh: line 5: syntax error near unexpected token `fi'
./pinstall.sh: line 5: `fi'

and

/usr/share/mime/globs

is not appended-to (not sure whether it should be, or not).

Sit Heel Speak

Pressing Backspace in Reply window vanishes Seamonkey

#131 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Also, while composing the above, I discovered (the hard way) that pressing the backspace key in compose-reply, vanishes Seamonkey. Fortunately, restarting Seamonkey restores the reply window where I left off. I wonder if pressing the Insert key will also vanish Seamonkey when in Reply? Umm, if memory serves Pizzasgood is the one who solved this problem, awhile back...

Billtoo

#132 Post by Billtoo »

I installed 098 from the universal installer while running the live cd
to a 4gb SD card formatted to ext 4.I used grub4dos to install the
bootloader.
On first bootup I just rebooted right away and saved to the whole
partition on the SD card.
When it got back to the desktop the sound was muted and the network
wasn't connected.I couldn't get it to connect to the wireless network
so I plugged in the wired network.
I configured retrovol and sound works now.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Wary Puppy, version 098

Chip description:
Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller
Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller

Driver used by Xorg:
intel

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#
Some things don't fit on the screen well so I have on finger holding
down the alt key while another finger is clicking and holding the mouse
button to move things around, quite a lot.Hooking up a full-sized
monitor solves the problem but not so mobile then, not mobile anyways
with no wireless connection.
After connecting external monitor and rebooting:

Display
Resolution 1440x900 pixels
Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Version 1.3.0
Monitors
Monitor 0 1440x900 pixels
Monitor 1 800x480 pixels

Sound was muted again after reboot but it was a quick fix.

The computer is an EEEPC 701 netbook.

zigbert

#133 Post by zigbert »

shinobar and Barry
I am in Puppy 5.1.1 (but I think this is a woof-thing)
Choosing Norwegian (nb_NO) in the country-setup, I click the checkbox to activate UTF-8. --> echo $LANG show nb_NO.utf8, so urxvt won't display nowegian chars. - I guess this is fixed in shinobars new county-setup?

I just tested Pmusic with locals, and it seems to work fine for $LANG with and without a utf-tail.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#134 Post by BarryK »

I have rewritten one of the boot scripts, /sbin/pup_event_backend_modprobe, greatly simplified and with basic multithreading protection. It fixes the muted-sound problem on my laptop. This is experimental so is not in Woof, but as a separate PET.

If you are having problems with sound muted at boot, or network connection not remembered at bootup, try this. Ideally, it should be builtin, when Puppy is created, so it is there at first boot, but anyway, you can grab the PET and try it on subsequent boots.

EDIT NOV. 21:
I won't post updates to my 'zzz' PET to this thread anymore, as it causes confusion. Some of my scripts replace rerwin's scripts, or vice-versa, so I will only post updates to zzz on my blog.
Last edited by BarryK on Sun 21 Nov 2010, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Billtoo

#135 Post by Billtoo »

BarryK wrote: If you are having problems with sound muted at boot, or network connection not remembered at bootup, try this. Ideally, it should be builtin, when Puppy is created, so it is there at first boot, but anyway, you can grab the PET and try it on subsequent boots.
The pet solved the problem on my netbook,
thanks

shinobar

utf8 issue and countrywizard

#136 Post by shinobar »

zigbert wrote:shinobar and Barry
I am in Puppy 5.1.1 (but I think this is a woof-thing)
Choosing Norwegian (nb_NO) in the country-setup, I click the checkbox to activate UTF-8. --> echo $LANG show nb_NO.utf8, so urxvt won't display nowegian chars. - I guess this is fixed in shinobars new county-setup?
Also depends on rc.country.
The locale using UTF-8 encoding should be '??.UTF-8', but most of Puppy and woof uses '??.utf8' instead. It can be a problem on some X based applications. If you like to use '??.UTF-8', you need to modify the script /etc/rc.d/rc.country.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58312

Attached the modified rc.country used in LupQ-511.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Wary 0.9.8 (098) feedback

#137 Post by BarryK »

Billtoo wrote:
BarryK wrote: If you are having problems with sound muted at boot, or network connection not remembered at bootup, try this. Ideally, it should be builtin, when Puppy is created, so it is there at first boot, but anyway, you can grab the PET and try it on subsequent boots.
The pet solved the problem on my netbook,
thanks
I would like someone to try it who has a 3G modem, as my Vodafone wireless 3G modem is in Perth right now (and I am 350Km away from Perth).

With modems, it is best if my simplified script is present and the modem plugged in at first boot, but anyway, it will be useful to see what happens if you install my PET then reboot and see if it still works. Interesting also to try hotplug the 3G modem.

My modifications don't do anything to help 3G modems, on the contrary have removed some functionality, so I really want to know that my PET doesn't break your modem setup.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

shinobar

ANOUNCE: Grub4DosConfig bugfix release

#138 Post by shinobar »

Bugfix released Grub4DosConfig v1.6.2.
# 20nov10 v1.6.2: fix RAM mode, fix puppyoptions, single item for single windows, wubi support
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51697

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#139 Post by Lobster »

If you are having problems with sound muted at boot
installed in 5.2 luci-237 and my sound setting (I had to run the alsa wizard each boot) was now available. The sound was muted but I turned the sound up by 'Full Window' and upping the front sound in retrovol - will see if the setting is persistent at next boot. So far seems an improvement - may thanks :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

01micko

#140 Post by 01micko »

Hmmm,,

Just installed the zzz pet on the old p3, but I run 097 on that, wireless networking works, and sound still muted at bootup, it's an old SB16Vibralux. I configured previously with alsawizard and is working good. So the pet made no differrence

With 098 on my Athlon 2100+, sis chipset, radeon 9200pro, AC97 sound I got the 'woof, woof' on pfix=ram anyway, 3g modem huawei-e169, product id 12d1:1001 connected niceley, pfix=ram.

Installed the zzz and rebooted.

Now I can't find the modem. I probe and 'no modem found'.. I did a lsusb and the product id is there, so no usb problem, however, the thing usually shows up on the desktop as a CD drive, but not anymore. That just gave me an idea.. I ran Pmount and Pmount sees it as an optical device. I have tried at boot and hotplugging, I'll reboot again....................
Ok, it's on the desktop now... let me see, i run 'lsmod | grep option',, option is not loaded, ok easy from here 'depmod && modprobe option' brings it up in pupdial as ttyUSB0, great, back online, but I suspect I'll need to do the same next reboot.

Oh, forgot.. sound was fine! Not muted, it wasn't anyways on this machine.

NOTE: On reboot I did have to re modprobe the option driver. I uninstalled the zzz pet and I'm back to a happy state on this machine.

hth
Cheers
Last edited by 01micko on Sun 21 Nov 2010, 09:48, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access