Touchpad not working on Toshiba Satellite C650D

Using applications, configuring, problems
keilor

Touchpad not working on Toshiba Satellite C650D

#1 Post by keilor »

I have a new Toshiba Satellite C650D but the touchpad does not work. I have tried Lupu 5.0 and 5.1.

It's behaving as if there is no touchpad. There is no entry for it in xorg.conf and synclient -l reports "Couldn't find synaptics properties. No sysnaptics driver loaded?"

Any ideas? Oh, it is enabled in BIOS. :)
Last edited by keilor on Mon 23 Aug 2010, 09:03, edited 1 time in total.

WillR

No working on three of my computers also

#2 Post by WillR »

Same here with me too but puppy 5 and 5.1 has the same problem on three of my computers, ASUS Eeepc 701, HP laptop and a toshiba laptop. I get the same message as you.

keilor

#3 Post by keilor »

Hmm, now that I think about it, previous laptops I've tried with no problem have been running 4.31.

I'll try 4.31 on this one and see what happens.

keilor

Works OK with Puppy 4.3.1

#4 Post by keilor »

OK. Booted the laptop with Puppy 4.3.1 and the touchpad works just fine!

Seems Lupu 5+ has an issue of some sort. :cry:

DaveS

Re: Works OK with Puppy 4.3.1

#5 Post by DaveS »

keilor wrote:OK. Booted the laptop with Puppy 4.3.1 and the touchpad works just fine!

Seems Lupu 5+ has an issue of some sort. :cry:
Can you go to menu>desktop>desktop settings>FISinclient and configure it from there?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

keilor

Re: Works OK with Puppy 4.3.1

#6 Post by keilor »

DaveS wrote: Can you go to menu>desktop>desktop settings>FISinclient and configure it from there?
No, sorry, same error as above.

ICPUG

#7 Post by ICPUG »

I'm as much in the dark as you on this one. For me flsynclient works but for others it says it cannot find synaptics - I wish I knew what it is looking for!

One thing to try may be is to run xorg wizard and manually choose a video driver. This will create an xorg.conf hopefully with a synaptics section and maybe the touchpad will work.

On the other hand it might just be a thing with Toshibas!

ICPUG

#8 Post by ICPUG »

I've been doing some searching. Toshibas seem to be having this problem with Ubuntu and slackware as well. I wonder if it is connected to the latest X-Org and its latest detection method (udev not HAL) - for some reason it does not get detected on Toshiba or gets detected differently?

I don't really know definitively what is going on. I am just trying to find info and gain an understanding. I wish I had an understanding on how hardware detection is done in Puppy and how the new X-Org works!

I might as well report my findings in case it helps.

On Ubuntu or Slackware the Toshiba trackpad appears to trigger the loading of the psmouse kernel driver. We then have a divergence of opinion. Ubuntu says loading the driver with the imps protocol option will work. Slackware says you definitely do NOT want this option.
Note: I think imps stands for 'Intellimouse PS/2'.

Assuming psmouse has been loaded with the wrong protocol then we remove the driver by using a terminal and giving the following command:

modprobe -r psmouse

to load the driver with a certain protocol we use

modprobe psmouse proto=imps (which is what Ubuntu says works)

or with no protocol

modprobe psmouse (which is what Slackware suggests)

I have also seen the following suggested

modprobe psmouse proto=any

If there is any file:
edit /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse

make sure the protocol is not set in that file as an option.

I have tried the above with my Puppy and I get the message there is no psmouse module but then I do not have a Toshiba and my trackpad works!

Even when you do all this I am not sure what is going to happen when you reboot X or reboot Puppy. After all, Ubuntu and Slackware are full install linuxes and changes take effect permanently.

Links:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticsTouchpad
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.p ... 13400.html
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... em-732856/

keilor

#9 Post by keilor »

Thanks, ICPUG.

Like you, I get the message that there is no psmouse module. I also had a quick browse around the links you posted but couldn't find anything that helped.

It's not vital that I get it working, I guess I'll just have to stick to winders on the laptop until someone figures it out!

:(

ICPUG

#10 Post by ICPUG »

Winders :?:

Why not stick with Puppy 4.3.1 till we sort it out :!:

keilor

#11 Post by keilor »

Ah, the touchpad works fine with 4.3.1 but it has issues booting from my USB stick!

But that's another story... :roll:

pemasu

#12 Post by pemasu »

Have you tried Fluppy ? Check the first page intro in Derivatives > Fluppy latest.

Agility

Seamonkey 2.0.5 does not behave like 1.1.18 did

#13 Post by Agility »

I hope I am in the right place here as my problem is touchpad related but not necessarily Puppy 5.1.

My Acer Travelmate 6000 has a 4-way-scrollbutton beneath the touchpad (which works fine). In SeaMonkey 1.1.18 it scrolled up and down and the right and left scrollbuttons moved forward and back in the page-history.
In Version 2.0.5 only the up and down motion works the right and left scrollbuttons do not work.
Does anyone have an idea how I could get them to work again (using 2.0.5) because in 1.1.18 they work with Puppy 5.1?

npierce

#14 Post by npierce »

Agility,

I don't have Seamonkey 2.0.5, but in Seamonkey 1.1.18 the mouse/touchpad horizontal scrolling through browsing history could be set in the Edit -> Preferences dialog by clicking the '+' box next to Advanced to show the sub-categories, then clicking Mouse Wheel and the appropriate radio button under Horizontal scrolling.

Alternatively, it could be set in about:config by setting mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.action to 2, which was the default in 1.1.18.

Possibly one or both of the above would work in 2.0.5?

Osage

#15 Post by Osage »

I have the same problem on Toshiba netbook (NB305-N413BN). Synaptics driver not found, the mouse works, kind of, but it's real touchy i.e. sets off all sorts of programs by just barely touching the icon. A PITA!!

nooby

#16 Post by nooby »

I have same problem in my Acer and it helps using an usb mouse but if I accidently touch the pat it do all sorts of things
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Osage

#17 Post by Osage »

Apparently this problem is a known bug in puppy 5.1.1. Here's the fix--

The fix is to run the Xorg Wizard from the menu. Menu>setup>xorg video wizard. This forces the Synaptics driver to load properly. Afterward, you can configure your touchpad using Flsynclient, menu>desktop>desktop settings>Flsynclient. to get better control of your touchpad.

I tried it and it worked.

nooby

#18 Post by nooby »

Ah thanks that is good to know. Much appreciated I have not tested it but trust your exeperience.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

somethis

Re: Touchpad not working on Toshiba Satellite C650D

#19 Post by somethis »

keilor wrote:I have a new Toshiba Satellite C650D but the touchpad does not work. [...]

It's behaving as if there is no touchpad.
Oh no!! :roll:

Just to prevent this from happening to others. Had the same issue on an Acer Travelmate 2300. Installed Puppy Linux Wary 5.3 and the touchpad was dead.

The solution ... Fn + F7 unlocks the touchpad!

Didn't see it because the labels on the keys were worn out. Somehow, installing Wary leads to the lock to be activated on this acer.