Pupflux 5.1.1 and PfluxLite-5.1.1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
01micko

#41 Post by 01micko »

Seems that adding items to menu is pretty straightforward but I can't figure out how to add the correct commands to display pwidgets' add and remove widgets window.
maxpro4u, Do I understand this correctly? Widgets work ok but the gui to switch (add/remove) widgets is not? Issuing the command "pwidgets" should do it, if not then something is wrong! Maybe try redownloading Pwidgets, perhaps the pet got corrupted (it has happened to me before, various pets).

Steve, as I understand, you are still using roxdesktop, there should be no issues with Pwidgets. It normally becomes challenging in environments like xfce!

Your issue with pupflux lite (failed installation) is probably the wrong version of 'disktype', (woof is known to grab wrong versions at times), we had this issue in 5.1 beta testing and it sounds the same.

HTH

Cheers, oh and nice job!
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

maxpro4u

#42 Post by maxpro4u »

01micko wrote:
Seems that adding items to menu is pretty straightforward but I can't figure out how to add the correct commands to display pwidgets' add and remove widgets window.
maxpro4u, Do I understand this correctly? Widgets work ok but the gui to switch (add/remove) widgets is not? Issuing the command "pwidgets" should do it, if not then something is wrong!
I must have entered the command wrong-after re-entering the correct command-it works as usual.

USER ERROR: replace user and strike any key :roll:
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb
Testing Slacko and a few others
I'm Max Wachtel and I approve this message.
Registered Linux User #393236

01micko

#43 Post by 01micko »

But there isn't any 'any' key! :lol:

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

playdayz

#44 Post by playdayz »

Is 01micko giving you trouble steve_s?

We would like to have a version of the fluxbox wm available in the puppy-lucid repo for easy install into Lucid 5.2. We would want to test it and configure it for 5.2 of course. Is there any chance you would be interested in preparing a pet or sfs of the fluxbox you prepared for Pupflux? Or is there already a pet or sfs you would recommend. We are on a relaxed development cycle so there is at least a couple of weeks if you want to do some customizing. Thanks.

steve_s

#45 Post by steve_s »

playdayz wrote:Is 01micko giving you trouble steve_s?

We would like to have a version of the fluxbox wm available in the puppy-lucid repo for easy install into Lucid 5.2. We would want to test it and configure it for 5.2 of course. Is there any chance you would be interested in preparing a pet or sfs of the fluxbox you prepared for Pupflux? Or is there already a pet or sfs you would recommend. We are on a relaxed development cycle so there is at least a couple of weeks if you want to do some customizing. Thanks.
I used the one that dejan555 came up with; it works great. I of course tweaked the menu and a couple of other things, but his fluxbox was the start...please see here.

*Edit: I would be glad to further edit and ad to it, but I am open to y'all's suggestions; please tell me what you think, either here or via pm...I have time to do edits as suggested...

playdayz

#46 Post by playdayz »

I used the one that dejan555 came up with; it works great. I of course tweaked the menu and a couple of other things, but his fluxbox was the start...please see here.

*Edit: I would be glad to further edit and ad to it, but I am open to y'all's suggestions; please tell me what you think, either here or via pm...I have time to do edits as suggested...
That's great steve_s. Perhaps we could proceed like this--if you could make a pet then we could start pushing it in the Lucid 5.2 development forum and you would be able to get some more feedback from users. We could also be sure that it would install and uninstalll properly with the rest of 5.2. Perhaps dejan555 would want to work with you--I don't know how busy he is otherwise. Just let me know. Thank you.

steve_s

#47 Post by steve_s »

playdayz wrote:

That's great steve_s. Perhaps we could proceed like this--if you could make a pet then we could start pushing it in the Lucid 5.2 development forum and you would be able to get some more feedback from users. We could also be sure that it would install and uninstalll properly with the rest of 5.2. Perhaps dejan555 would want to work with you--I don't know how busy he is otherwise. Just let me know. Thank you.
Ok...I'll send him a pm and get something going...

dejan555

#48 Post by dejan555 »

Hi guys, I see playdayz is interested in fluxbox (do I understand you want it as second wm choice in 5.2 or as additional wm package?). The pet steve_s used that I made for dpup484 had libiconv dependency but on 5.x should compile without so we can cut down size. I have another pet compiled on newer fluxbox with menu button hack here http://puppy.b0x.me/software/squeeze/fluxbox/ maybe you can test that one for 5.2 or I can recompile and repackage with all customizations (is 5.2 devx same as 5.11?)
Also, not quite sure what are all features you want compiled/added to package, do you want it bare minimum to keep size down or something else?
Fluxbox can be compiled without taskbar/systray and menu button on taskbar is source/config files hack so not standard feature by default, also I add xdg menus binary to refresh menus and add lines to wmreboot/wmexit/etc... and fixmenus. I also cut some themes to preserve size but additional pets for that can be made.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

playdayz

#49 Post by playdayz »

dejan555 wrote:Hi guys, I see playdayz is interested in fluxbox (do I understand you want it as second wm choice in 5.2 or as additional wm package?). The pet steve_s used that I made for dpup484 had libiconv dependency but on 5.x should compile without so we can cut down size. I have another pet compiled on newer fluxbox with menu button hack here http://puppy.b0x.me/software/squeeze/fluxbox/ maybe you can test that one for 5.2 or I can recompile and repackage with all customizations (is 5.2 devx same as 5.11?)
Also, not quite sure what are all features you want compiled/added to package, do you want it bare minimum to keep size down or something else?
Fluxbox can be compiled without taskbar/systray and menu button on taskbar is source/config files hack so not standard feature by default, also I add xdg menus binary to refresh menus and add lines to wmreboot/wmexit/etc... and fixmenus. I also cut some themes to preserve size but additional pets for that can be made.
Hey dejan555, It would be a "featured option" not the 2nd wm. The default wm will be openbox with fbpanel and the second will be jwm. But we will feature Fluxbox in LupuNews and I would expect many people to try it out. Since it is an "extra" I think you do not have to worry to much about size. Make it cool! And have fun with it. FBpanel is already installed, but we would have to make sure there was no conflict.

All in all I say, make it what you like. The main thing is that it is able to be installed and uninstalled without causing any conflicts. Once it is installed I think 01micko could recognize it with wmswitcher and make it easy to switch between wm's.

5.1.1devx is not the same as coming on 5.2--but devx luci232 is very close. Yes, we would want xdg menus--but as I say that--it is not really necessary that all wm's look and work the same--or else why have different ones--so that is another decision you can make. Thanks.

Personally I would like to see it Flashy ;-) As soon as you decide whether to use one you have or make a new one, please let me know and we can post it int he lucid 5.2 forum for testing.

dejan555

#50 Post by dejan555 »

OK, will look for lupu iso and devx tomorrow I don't have it on HD atm and maybe make some pets. I might as well download 5.2.
If size doesn't matter maybe I can include some nicer themes.
Regarding install/uninstall conflicts, well, fluxbox files itself don't interfere with system files, except it will need tweaking of scripts for shutdown and maybe add line to fixmenus if we want it to automatically update menus (maybe with pinstall.sh, shouldn't harm on uninstall).
But for shutdown we can as well make new script and not touch wmreboot/wmpoweroff and others and upon uninstall old ones will stay in place.

BTW, steve_s, what are your favorite themes? :)
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

playdayz

#51 Post by playdayz »

I've got it dejan555. The only thing I noticed bad was that the Menu -> Shutdown -> Reboot, etc, did not work.

I am thinking it would be cool for each wm/de to be able to open with its own background--I've asked 01micko if that would be possible.

I am a newbie at compsiting. I have the xlibcomposite package from ubuntu installed, but I think I also need something named xcompositemanager but I am not sure how it is spelled and I cannot find it searching ubuntu (they might use one of a different name I guess). Anyway, can you point me in the right direction? And I do understand that dri would have to be running, as in our Xorg_High and Nvididia drivers.

Am I right that if an xcompositemgr is running then fluxbox can do true transparency?

And, secondly, compiz is another thing I know nothing about. Can fluxbox work with compiz--to get this funny useless jiggling windows? Thanks.

dejan555

#52 Post by dejan555 »

I don't use compositing much myself, one of standalone compositors is called "xcompmgr" and I never really ran compiz on puppy I only tried it on older wNOP puplet with xfce. I don't think fluxbox is good for using with compiz though xfce is probably better since it has own compositing manager.
Shutdown/reboot dialog worked on 5.1.1 don't know what could be different on 5.2, guess I'll have to download it to test.

musher0

#53 Post by musher0 »

Hello.

Experiencing problems to set keyboard and language -- there is no access to keyboards and languages other than English in this pupflux, whichever wizard you use to set them up. Is it linked to the fact (in Xorg, probably) that setting the n-vidia driver for Mx-GForce 4000X is also a catastrophe?

In short, as it is now, however nice and efficient fluxbox may be, "caveat emptor": thanks for the effort, but this distro seems to be for Anglos only.

Or please explain how we can easily make the keyboard write in our native language, without locking us out of Xorg.

I've seen some additional keyboards and input devices in the quirky-wary depots on ibiblio. Are they applicable here ? usable in pupflux?

Thanks in advance.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

steve_s

#54 Post by steve_s »

musher0 wrote:Hello.

Experiencing problems to set keyboard and language -- there is no access to keyboards and languages other than English in this pupflux, whichever wizard you use to set them up. Is it linked to the fact (in Xorg, probably) that setting the n-vidia driver for Mx-GForce 4000X is also a catastrophe?

In short, as it is now, however nice and efficient fluxbox may be, "caveat emptor": thanks for the effort, but this distro seems to be for Anglos only.

Or please explain how we can easily make the keyboard write in our native language, without locking us out of Xorg.

I've seen some additional keyboards and input devices in the quirky-wary depots on ibiblio. Are they applicable here ? usable in pupflux?

Thanks in advance.
Just checked on Pupflux 5.1.1..how about Menu-->Setup-->Mouse/Keyboard Wizard-->Choose Keyboard Layout for your Country. Is that what you were looking for? I know you can also Chooselocale Country Localisation under Menu-->Desktop but I don't think that is what you wanted...

Haven't checked on Pflux Lite, but it should be the same...hope that helps.

musher0

#55 Post by musher0 »

Yeah, that's the way to do it, I've done it numerous times before in various puppies.
But in this case it says that this puppy doesn't have alterntive keyboards or languages. MyWolfe 0.14 and 0.15 did the same.

I'll try to send you a screen capture later today.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#56 Post by musher0 »

Hi, steve_s.

Ok, here's the snapshot.

The script thinks there are no keyboard and language alternatives ... (Can't find them?)

However, /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc is full of keyboard alternatives, so something has to be broken in the script.

"Change language and locale" in opening screen seems to work ok., at least it indicates the proper time. (Obviously, can't test further on the default US keyboard.)

So your xorg config has to be partially ok. Questions that come to mind:
* Is there a proper keyboard section in the device section of Xorg.conf ?
* Can the script change it correctly?

Also, in /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc , does the "ca" keyboard" refer to "Canada" or "Catalonia"? Big difference!

The geany panel at the top of the image is my usual test: it would have "ééééééé" instead of "///////" if the French Canadian keyboard was installed.

I hope this helps you in pin-pointing the problem. Thanks in advance for a potential solution..

BFN.
Attachments
no-xkb-model-or-layout.jpg
(101.64 KiB) Downloaded 485 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

steve_s

#57 Post by steve_s »

Ok, good catch, musher0.

Now, here are some questions to hopefully narrow it down.

Are you using PfluxLite or Pupflux 5.1.1? Pfluxlite I made from scratch using Woof, so there is a chance something was left out, even though I tried to just leave out Window Manager stuff and nothing else that could have been necessary.

If it is Pupflux 5.1.1, that was me just manually getting rid of jwm and icewm, adding fluxbox, but other than that I left everything just as it is in Puppy 5.1.1.

AND have you tried out Puppy 5.1.1 and run into this problem?

So, I am trying to narrow down whether it is the addition of fluxbox (perhaps it affects a script or something) or whether something was left out, or what?

musher0

#58 Post by musher0 »

Hi, steve_s

On 2nd boot, I was still presented with the locale and xorgwizard prompts.

I was able to install my language by doing the following:

at the xorgwizrd prompt, I chose "Choose" instead of "Probe". And then I chose the "nv" driver.

in X, the config for keyboard and language (as in the pic in my post above) worked correctly, and I was able to write with French accents in geany.

I tried the recommended nvidia driver for my old nvidia MX4000 card, but that annulled the above procedure, and I had to start over.

I downloaded the opera browser from the quick pet panel, but opera did not get displayed in the fluxbox menu. It launched ok from mrxvt however. fixmenus does not seem to do anything to improve the fluxbox menu. I noticed that there was no jwm2fluxbox (or equivalent) in /usr/sbin, while menu "translators" jwm2pekwm, jwm2ROX-Menu, etc., can be found in that folder in some other Puppy derivatives.

I apologiize for any waves I may have created yesterday, since my keyboard and language combination was finally available in your pupflux. However, I am less than thrilled by the initial contact with this puppy, and I will continue exploring other derivatives.

Best regards,
Last edited by musher0 on Sat 20 Nov 2010, 19:46, edited 1 time in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#59 Post by musher0 »

Hello again.

In answer to your question:

> AND have you tried out Puppy 5.1.1 and run into this problem?

I have tried Puppy Studio, which is based on Puppy Lupu 5.1.1, but not Lupu 5.1.1 per se, and I have not come across this problem in Puppy Studio.

BFN
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

steve_s

#60 Post by steve_s »

Good that you have found an answer to the problem, at least your initial one.

Regarding the menu: fluxbox is a different animal and will not work with the usual scripts. HOWEVER only a mild manual adjustment to the menu will allow you to put anything you want into it.

Under the Menu-->System the first option is to edit the fluxbox menu. Pick that, adjust as needed, add what you want (check how the others are laid out) and as soon as you save it, the menu has been changed (one of my favorite characteristics of fluxbox). There are other ways to change it, but that is extremely quick and is my preferred way (although not everyone's).

Hope that helps...please post back if it works for you. 8)