How would I get the shell commands "make" "in

Booting, installing, newbie
Flamesage

How would I get the shell commands "make" "in

#1 Post by Flamesage »

I am trying to install BYOND (http://www.byond.com) and need desperatly the "make" command, but it says that's not in the shell.

Is there anyway to add theese in?
Is there a premade puppy that allows you to do this?

papaschtroumpf

#2 Post by papaschtroumpf »

"make" is just the tio of the iceberg, it will then call other programs like the compiler gcc.

There is no real easy way to do this at the moment, the easiest way around it is to install another fuller version of linux and build from that environment.
Vector Linux is a good choice.
Mandriva LE 2005 user and puppy newbie

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Also see this post.

rarsa

#4 Post by rarsa »

If you have some patience, I will try to compile it for you tomorrow night.

Right now I was on my way to bed.

rarsa

#5 Post by rarsa »

Actually I compiled it before going to bed. I did not run it so I don't know if all the dependencies are there. I don't know if after unziping all the files will retain their access rights, you'll have to confirm that

The attachment is too big to post it here 2.6 MB.

I uploaded to my Yahoo briefcase

Let me know after you download it so I can delete it (I will delete it in a week if you don't respond and you will loose brownie points for the next time you ask to have something compiled)

flamesage

#6 Post by flamesage »

Ok I got it, I just dumped it into a folder and now attempting to run it......

# DreamSeeker
DreamSeeker: No such file or directory
(I shell(ed) to that location, no luck)
What am I supposed to do with it now that it's compiled, its supposed to run in the console.

rarsa

#7 Post by rarsa »

First: Read the readme.txt file from begining to end. To run it you will have to configure certain files and you'll need to pass some parameters.

My assumption was that you had already ran Beyod and knew what to do with it once compiled. You may also have to go to the Beyond web site or forum to ask for the recommended parameters and configurations.

Second: To run the application do the following

Code: Select all

cd /root/beyond     # assuming that you unzipped in the root folder
./DreamSeeker     # Assuming that that's the name of the application
The reason is: If the program is not in your environment path, the shell won't find it even if it is in your current folder, you have to provide the path for it to find it "./" is the path, meaning "The current folder".

As I said, I don't know if when you unzip it will keep the file permissions. If you get an error saying that you don't have enough persmission, or something like that let me know and I will send you the list of permissions for the files.

Third: Bear in mind that Puppy is not meant to be a server, Make sure you understand the implications of running a Beyond server in your puppy computer.

And last some advice: In general, saying 'thanks' and 'please' will elicit more responses to your posts.

#8 Post by Guest »

Thank you for helping me.
I do not really mean for it to run as a server, Dream Seeker is more for PLAYING games than hosting.

I'm bound to text mode via console, but hey atleast I can play byond, it's all good. =)

# cd ~/my-documents/BYOND/byond/bin/
# ./DreamSeeker
./DreamSeeker: error while loading shared libraries: libbyond.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
#

Wahoo at least it's loading. =)

Please could someone help?

rarsa

#9 Post by rarsa »

I'm not in my linux box righ now but I remember seing the libraries in one of the beyond sub folders.

You have three alternatives
a) Add the byond library folder to your path
b) Copy the libraries (the files ending with .so) to the /usr/lib folder.
c) Create symbolic links to the .so files in that folder.

Code: Select all

cd /usr/lib
ln -s <fullpathoftarget>/libbyond.so libbyond.so    #replace <fullpathoftarget> with the full path of where libbeyond.so is
Bear in mind that as this is a manual installation, you may have to recreate your symlinks if you upgrade puppy.

I hope this helps

#10 Post by Guest »

Keeps on saying "Error, Read only file system."

#11 Post by Guest »

Bump, same error.
Could it be because im running straight from the live CD?

flamesage

#12 Post by flamesage »

Ok leme try this again...

flamesage

#13 Post by flamesage »

Wahoo I got it thank you everyone.

flamesage

#14 Post by flamesage »

Bah. I accidently erased my puppy, now I can't get it to work again, I coppied all of the flies and now it gives me this.....
# ./DreamSeeker
./DreamSeeker: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I copied all of the flies to /usr/lib but still nothing works now.