Opera 11 beta (11.00-1111.i386) .pet and .sfs

Talk about and post software packages known to work or packaged for Puppy.
Sit Heel Speak

Opera 11 beta (11.00-1111.i386) .pet and .sfs

#1 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

***UPDATE Dec. 03 2010: In Puppy 431, beta-1111 is very stable, and the YouTube Downloader works very well.***
https://addons.labs.opera.com/addons/ex ... display=en

OK, here they are.

Frankly, I think they are jumping the gun calling this a beta.

Of the three:
alpha-1055
alpha-1104
beta-1111

the one I would recommend is alpha-1055. Its rendering is not quite as good as 1104, but 1055 is dead stable.

In this beta-1111, I am seeing artefacts during scrolling.

But, your mileage may vary. So, try all three!

Here's beta-1111:

PET package download:
http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/cc0f7dcdfb_16.63MB

(For .sfs package, see next message)

File name: opera_11_beta_SHS-11.1.1.pet
File size: 16.63MB
Description tags: Opera 11 beta (11.00-1111.i386 Nov. 23 2010) for Lucid, Quirky, Wary, packaged by Sit Heel Speak

# md5sum opera_11_beta_SHS-11.1.1.pet
c6d2c24559b6fdda225d6b613cce8d38 opera_11_beta_SHS-11.1.1.pet

One odd behavior: I cannot get it to obey a custom plugins location on first run, in other words it is *forcing* it to be /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, so will use whatever libflashplayer.so you have there. Adobe Flash Player "Square" 10.1 beta is in /usr/local/lib/opera-11.00-1111.i386/plugins so if the one you have doesn't work, try (after making a backup copy of the existing /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so) symlink'ing-in the 10.1 beta libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. Or, just go get the newest one from Adobe and unpack it to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.

After opera-1111 is running, you can change the plugins subdirectory, as per aarf's instructions, below.

Further notes, see next message.
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Sat 04 Dec 2010, 06:45, edited 16 times in total.

Sit Heel Speak

posted: Opera 11 beta (11.00-1111.i386) .sfs package

#2 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

SFS package download:
http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/3e9c91e49c_17.34MB

File name: opera-11.00-1111.i386-SHS.sfs
File size: 17.34MB
Description tags: Opera 11 beta (11.00-1111.i386 Nov. 23 2010) .sfs file for Lucid, Quirky, Wary, packaged by Sit Heel Speak

# md5sum opera-11.00-1111.i386-SHS.sfs
4ae126c32f840652e853b7fcac7abbc1 opera-11.00-1111.i386-SHS.sfs

I have not added any extensions to the 1111 build. To add them go to:
https://addons.labs.opera.com/addons/extensions/

One odd behavior: I cannot get it to obey a custom plugins location, in other words it is *forcing* it to be /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, so will use whatever libflashplayer.so you have there. Adobe Flash Player "Square" 10.1 beta is in /usr/local/lib/opera-11.00-1111.i386/plugins so if the one you have doesn't work, try (after making a backup copy of the existing /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so) symlink'ing-in the 10.1 beta libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.

You can toggle between the big red Menu button and a more-usual menu bar with Alt-F11. To enable smooth scrolling, left-click

Tools -> Preferences -> Advanced ->Shortcuts -> Middle-click options
Click to choose Start Panning. I leave horizontal pan unselected
-> and then OK out.

I like Opera because it saves webpages by default in single-file .mht format, and because sometimes Opera Turbo helps with my slow connection (but sometimes Turbo Off is faster, depends on the website)..

I also very much like the way that Opera 11 does ctrl-f search.

This package is an add-on .sfs file for current versions of Puppy Linux (Lucid Puppy 5.nn and the luci series and Quirky 1.n and Wary-09n-or-5) frugal installs which have already been shut down once and have had the savefile created. It installs Opera using the suffix -11.00-1111.i386 so it is completely separate from, and will not interfere with, any existing Opera (or other browser) installation. Thus, I'm giving you the chance to try Opera 11 without disturbing your present installations of other browsers and without having to first create a backup of your savefile. Well, you should back up your savefile before trying *anything* new, but you know what I mean.

Uninstalling this .sfs, that is, telling Boot Manager to remove it from the active (right-side) pane and rebooting, will leave your present Opera (and all other browsers) intact as they were before. You may wish to, before removing the .sfs from Boot Manager, run the uninstall program which is
/usr/local/bin/uninstall-opera-11.00-1111.i386
to clear out the cache in /root/ and so forth from your savefile.

TO INSTALL: download from:
http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/3e9c91e49c_17.34MB

into either /mnt/home or into the subdirectory where you have Puppy, then
left-click Menu ->
System ->
Boot Manager configure startup ->
Choose which extra SFS files to load at bootup,
select (click to highlight) it in the left pane,
Add it to the right pane,
close out Boot Manager,
and reboot.

Opera will now be in your menu under Internet. Widgets Manager is under Setup.

Technical notes:

I moved the menu files (Opera-11.00-1111.i386.desktop et cetera) from
/usr/local/share/applications up to /usr/share/applications, so they are grouped with all the other common menu .desktop files.

I added one script in /root/Startup, Clean_Up_Opera_11.00-1111.i386_and_gFTP_and_KDE_wh_files, to prevent the savefile from growing too large. For explanation see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29707. I am not sure if performing these cleanups at the start of X, by placing the script in /root/Startup, is a good idea or not. Advice is welcome.

I have not implemented any of the safeguards against evercookies, presently being discussed at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60935.

Sit Heel Speak

#3 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

(reserved)

aarf

#4 Post by aarf »

have been using opera-11.00-1029.i386.linux.tar.gz click installed on its own private partition and it has been the best behaved trial version in a long while. not corrupting files on its partition either which is also a recent rarity. fsck comes up clean.
going to give opera-11.00-1111.i386.linux.tar.gz a shot now.still don't trust it enough to put on the same partition as my pupsave though. opera is virtually the only browser i have used for very long now.
in the settings>advanced preference tab>content>plug-in options you can add a new path to a flashplayer

Sit Heel Speak

clarification on opera 11 beta (1111)

#5 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

aarf wrote:in the settings>advanced preference tab>content>plug-in options you can add a new path to a flashplayer
What I meant was, opera-1111 is not observing my custom setting *on first run*. In 1055 and 1104, by including a customized

/root/.opera-11.00-1055.i386/operaprefs.ini

in the .pet or .sfs package, I was able to have it use

/usr/local/lib/opera-11.00-1055.i386/plugins/libflashplayer.so

right from the start, instead of using (the default of)

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

...but 1111 just ignores the custom pre-supplied operaprefs.ini and sets the plugins directory to the latter.

But yes, you are correct, once 1111 is up and running, you can go in and re-set the location of the plugins directory.

mikeslr

Thank you for the Well-Behaved Opera 11 SFS

#6 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Sit Heel Speak:

Thank you for the Opera SFS, and Merry Christmas.

I've been using your sfs for a couple of weeks now. I too like Opera. It appears to open sites a little faster than Firefox and never took to Chrome's lack of a "google box." (Yah, I know how to google from the address bar, but it's annoying.)
At any rate, I wanted to thank you for your work and report that Opera has performed well with perhaps one small niggle. Although it remembers my bookmarks and preferences, including those for the Speed Dial, each time it starts it asks that I accept the terms of license.
Perhaps this is built in to the application because it's still in beta. But if not, is there some way to circumvent it.

mikesLr

Sit Heel Speak

Re: Thank you for the Well-Behaved Opera 11 SFS

#7 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

mikeslr wrote:...I wanted to thank you for your work and report that Opera has performed well with perhaps one small niggle. Although it remembers my bookmarks and preferences, including those for the Speed Dial, each time it starts it asks that I accept the terms of license...Perhaps this is built in to the application because it's still in beta. But if not, is there some way to circumvent it...
Thank you for the kind praise. I did indeed put a lot of effort into it, in order to make it behave as well as it does, and it feels most welcome for that effort to be recognized.

The display of the license agreement is determined by the line

Accept License=0

under the heading

[State]

in the configuration file

/root/.opera-11.00-1111.i386/operaprefs.ini

so if you change this line to

Accept License=1

then you will no longer see the license agreement.

So if you unpack the .pet or unsquash the .sfs, change that line, and re-pack or re-squash it, then you will no longer see the license agreement.

For example:

Code: Select all

mkdir /mnt/SFS
mount -o loop -t squashfs opera-11.00-1111.i386-SHS.sfs /mnt/SFS
cd /mnt/SFS
geany ./root/.opera-11.00-1111.i386/operaprefs.ini
(change Accept License=0 to 1)
(close Geany, Save)
mkdir /mnt/home/SFS-source
cd /mnt/home/SFS-source
## note, there is a dot at the end of the following line:
cp -auvR /mnt/SFS/ .
## note, the dot before /SFS/ in the following line:
mksquashfs ./SFS/ opera-11.00-1111.i386-new.sfs -root-owned
cd /
umount /mnt/SFS
rmdir /mnt/SFS
(move the new .sfs to wherever you store them, delete /mnt/home/SFS-source)
and then use opera-11.00-1111.i386-new.sfs instead of the one I supplied.

Hmm...thinking about this question...it just dawned on me how to build an Opera .pet which will stop evercookies. I'll have to get a little more ahead in the money chase first. Perhaps in January.

A belated (unless you are on Lobster Time) Merry Christmas also to you and best wishes for a peaceful and prosperous Happy New Year,

SHS