Puppy doesn't see Asus p4v8mx onboard sound

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
grundy

Puppy doesn't see Asus p4v8mx onboard sound

#1 Post by grundy »

My computer has no sound. There is an on board sound card on the motherboard (board is asus p4v8mx) but it is not detected in sound and audio devices. How do I find the sound card?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

From the 5.2 menu - yes I know you are not running 5.2 but my telepathy over what you are running is a little off :)

System/system status and config/hardinfo hardware info

Anyway hope that is what you need :)
find 'hardinfo' prog in Puppy
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

bignono1

#3 Post by bignono1 »

From the menu/setup/ALSA Sound Wizard,or just type alsaconf in the console.

duck1dong

#4 Post by duck1dong »

Same problem here. I have a HP 4455.

I suspect that even if the ALSA wizard detects four sound cards, none may be compatible. Otherwise, why is there no sound icon? Likely the operating system is perfect it just doesnt know how to recognize the card that worked with Windows 98. I probably have to take the hood off the computer and visually identify which actual soundcard it is there. Then once I have that I can determine if that card works with Linux. I suspect it does not. And I dont believe its a matter of working memory(RAM). It seems that Lucid 5.2 is an excellent tool to save computers. Getting the sound and running programs is another matter. Im not sure how to run programs yet, I believe I have to read Barrys work on compiling code.