Move puppylinux.ca and.asia to brainwave?

News, happenings
Saturn

Move puppylinux.ca and.asia to brainwave?

#1 Post by Saturn »

Upon my discovery of that repo shutting down I thought it would be a nice idea to offer my space without any strings

brainwave is expanding at a steady pace thanks to the community!

also i got a rather fresh idea that i will be adding to brainwave

I will setup in the next following months a peer based puplet review site that will have the community rate and review eachother's puplets and pets
it will be based on a thumbs up\down system with a rating system of woof's that will represented with a icon image of the puppy mascot
with one woof meaning it's utterly worthless to five meaning it's beyond useful.

Plus in addition to this, you will be able to buy the puplet of your choice on any type of your media you want and i'll have it shipped to your front door via brainwave

Anyone that is interested in contributing to this neat project will be welcomed with open arms and will be deeply appreciated

all funds from the sale of puppy media will go toward further hosting and media\shipping costs that is unless our benevolent barry wants a cut :P

Also do me a favor and give me your valued feedback ,insight and various opinions on this project!

Any Thoughts on how to improve this idea or brainwave itself , in general is and will be welcome in the future

Thanks!

With much puppy love for the community and new users alike,

Have a good day

Sincerly,

Saturn AKA Xrter

raffy

great

#2 Post by raffy »

Great idea - I did not know you intend to put up the puplet ratings site yourself. I will help.

Let's hope that Eric (caneri) sees this and posts here.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

noryb009

#3 Post by noryb009 »

Oddly enough, I am also creating an online PPM. I can help out with yours, though, if you want.

Saturn

#4 Post by Saturn »

Actually a user from the IRC channel(sucker666, a Serbian) will be doing most of the php scripting coding( for his HTML engineering thesis) as i'm really not that good at it to be honest
I just have basic HTML knowledge with the TCP\IP knowledge I learned at school(Technical College)

I'm more of a hardware oriented person

But Innovation is my thing obiviously 8)

I Just felt obliged to clear that up

by "setting up" I meant uploading and configuring the server for php and any other software needed.... - not the actual coding

Thanks,
Sorry for the confusion that i have caused.

Have a good day full of puppy cheer!

Sincerly,

Saturn AKA Xrter(IRC)

Saturn

A proposed centralized location for all things puppy!

#5 Post by Saturn »

Post number two:

Raffy I would more than appreicate any help you can muster

Mostly the vision for brainwave that i have in my mind is that I download or have people download\upload the stuff they allready have and upload it to brainwave

A major complaint from nearly all expert puppy users to noobs and also from helpful people to trolls like the illustrious alienjeff...

They all complain about one single simple thing that I believe I can remedy if I put forth enough effort and time.

It's not really that hard to imagine or guess what is... (not implying any insult of any manner) But it seems various libs,deps,pets,pup's , tarballs and what have you..., for puppy and it's users are spread thick and thin like butter on toast.....
scattered through out the internet and not in one single place like you would find (and be used to.. maybe expect such?)
on a similar Corporate run , paid solution.

The reason is simple... if they decide to open the souce to the code and spread it like silly...chances are they will lose unique-ness and not to mention wads of profit ,revenue , bragging rights,exclustivity to what's in their code and just forfeiture of all sorts of things...

so to prevent this you put some copyright\anti-fraud mechanism in place rather it would in the code itself, or the EULA, or keeping it solely on the "In-house" server - farm and prohibit any one else from serving the program files without your expressed permission or license.

Anways , that was a bit of a mouthful...

What i was trying to say is that,

I envision Brainwave being(eventually) a one-stop source destination for everyone's puppy linux needs by having the most extensive,through and up to date resources available.

Starting tommorrow, I will manually comb the forum for the most "well-known" applications.
But! , you guys as a community(That have the time and know few programs) will have to tell me of most of the applications that I am unaware of(which is nearly all of them, as I am a casual user that lends the occasional tech support on IRC) as I am not a developer of any sort and do not mess much with compiling or chasing some stray Lib or Dep ... But I am slightly capable of doing it... just as long as it does not get too complicated e.g. I can compile M-player and pidgin quite well just as long as i don't have to recode anything by hand..all i am saying is that i know the process...grab all necessary libs and deps, install them then compile the application using gcc, and do the usual bootstrapping (if required) then do make and make install at the end.

So if any of you are just plain sick and tired for having to hunt for anything puppy related Please help me and the community at large with this project.

In the end everyone will benefit immensely.

And oh, such a repo collection will have a search engine of it's own to search everything from libs,to programs to kernel modules and drivers.

But that's a far ways along from now....

Please give your input and valued insight on any of these ideas presented in this thread.

Thanks ,

Sincerly,
Saturn AKA Xrter from #puppylinux on IRC

cthisbear

#6 Post by cthisbear »

" Have a good day full of puppy cheer! "

Having a one stop shop would be great.
So many Puplets have gone into the ether.

It would be nice if some of those could be restored as well.

Thanks Saturn.....Chris.

alienjeff

#7 Post by alienjeff »

Xrter wrote:But Innovation is my thing obiviously 8)
You mean like this "obivious" example of innovation? Don't pass up the comments: they're priceless!
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

shariebeth

#8 Post by shariebeth »

noryb009 wrote:Oddly enough, I am also creating an online PPM. I can help out with yours, though, if you want.
Not so odd, given this thread and other scattered comments. ;)
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61777

I hope you don't give up on your own project. As has been pointed out before, it would take a lot of work, time, dedication, knowledge, and commitment to get such an undertaking off the ground and functional. You sound like you could do it.

Personally I think you should lay out your plans and progress as well. It might be a better idea for Xrter to offer his help to you. ;)

Saturn

A new Script?

#9 Post by Saturn »

I just came up with yet ANOTHER idea!

why not make puppy a nimble-x like(another feather wieght linux distro that is similar to puppy) script where you can manually select what should be in your puppy before you download it?

and have it operate on the server?

These following options I plan to have available for this project if all goes well..

One:
immediate download after proccessing

Two: Available for physical shipment on the media of your choice

Three: possible addition to the collection of puplets allready there for puppy so if you make a useful config, it can be used and enjoyed by others

and finally, if you chose, you can have a peer review to get it discussed

Just my latest Idea...

The problem with this is that it will require quite a bit of cpu power to do the On-Demand remastering especially if there is more than person accessing and trying to use the script at once... perhaps we can have a "in-que" script to go along with the remastering script?

I'll let you know if i have any more Ideas from the Innovation Oven

And I will try to keep the posting to only the best and brightest ideas to avoid any possible spam

Thanks,

Yours Truly,

Saturn

shariebeth

#10 Post by shariebeth »

I see you posting all over the forums with "your" latest and brightest new ideas, yet...
It seems to me you should contain yourself and start with the basics. Ten ideas you can't possibly complete yourself scattered all over the forums isn't any better than what we already have!

Slowly, steadily, reliably, consistent.
Finish one useful and needed project first and prove your reliability and stability rather than ten ideas that you can never finish.

(Also an odd thing I noticed from your posts, if I understood you correctly...how is it you can "sell" puppy distros and make money from them? Is that okay to do and are the makers of those releases okay with you making money off of their work?)

amigo

#11 Post by amigo »

Thanks AJ for that wonderfully informative link! I haven't had such a good laugh since..., well, since the last time you raised your head around here. Keeping your powder dry alright??

abushcrafter

Re: A proposed centralized location for all things puppy!

#12 Post by abushcrafter »

Saturn wrote:The reason is simple... if they decide to open the souce to the code and spread it like silly...chances are they will lose unique-ness and not to mention wads of profit ,revenue , bragging rights,exclustivity to what's in their code and just forfeiture of all sorts of things...

so to prevent this you put some copyright\anti-fraud mechanism in place rather it would in the code itself, or the EULA, or keeping it solely on the "In-house" server - farm and prohibit any one else from serving the program files without your expressed permission or license.
Hmm that, me thinks, is anti FOSS/FLOSS/Free Software. Kinder against puppy.

I do agree on a NON centralised puppy website. This would help deal with / solve a lot of problems. See http://www.isoc-ny.org/?p=1338. I would like to help with a NON centralised puppy website though I am a HTML & CSS beginner/noober with time constraints. I would only help if it's FOSS.

What about http://www.joomla.org/ it's recommend by http://www.robbieferguson.net/
[url=http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/]adobe flash is rubbish![/url]
My Quote:"Humans are stupid, though some are clever but stupid." http://www.dependent.de/media/audio/mp3/System_Syn_Heres_to_You.zip http://www.systemsyn.com/

Saturn

#13 Post by Saturn »

Abushcrafter

I did not want to make it seem like I am anti floss\foss or what have you..
I was merely explaining why there is such a difference between corporations(which often have centralized communities) compared the rather scattered condition of the puppy linux community

So, again I apologize for any confusion that I have caused

Sorry.

Either on the 3rd of next month(December) or January(the month after) I will be renting a Dedicated Server and donating the entire server for the communities benefit, but only if raffy and others aren't satisfied with their current setup at servage and really need it
Refer to this forum thread for further Info and reference

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58200

Thanks!
Last edited by Saturn on Sat 27 Nov 2010, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.

Saturn

#14 Post by Saturn »

shariebeth wrote:I see you posting all over the forums with "your" latest and brightest new ideas, yet...
It seems to me you should contain yourself and start with the basics. Ten ideas you can't possibly complete yourself scattered all over the forums isn't any better than what we already have!

Slowly, steadily, reliably, consistent.
Finish one useful and needed project first and prove your reliability and stability rather than ten ideas that you can never finish.

(Also an odd thing I noticed from your posts, if I understood you correctly...how is it you can "sell" puppy distros and make money from them? Is that okay to do and are the makers of those releases okay with you making money off of their work?)
Shariebeth, Thank you for your comments,.. I appreciate your input.
I knew in advance that I could not get every single thing I have mentioned done "all at once"(as that would require me to have 10x the prowess and glory barry or any other developer has\had in the puppy community. )

I was merely just stating my ideas to the forum for mainly two reasons as a reminder to myself as I am forgetful and also for input and peer validation of the said ideas to confirm if the ideas really are useful and the opinion is not solely that of my own

In other words, I knew my idea's were great in my head but I needed to know and verify if other people thought that as well..

I find it rather pointless, and you have agreed with this point of view in your last post that there is no reason to work on something if you know (or don't know) that it won't be of use to anyone or having people refusing to use it

so instead of wasting my time on my ideas I get other people's opinions and point of views before i spend monetary resources or time\effort that I may or may not have

But in the end your point was valid and logical and I agree with it

But as for me selling pre-imaged physical media copies of the puplets or what have you ... I was not intending to make a profit of any sort!
In fact, If any developer that made any puplet wanted a portion of the proceeds either full or in part I will gladly fork over any monetary revenue to them without hesitation

But Let me clarify even further... as i described in my first post in this thread, the revenue was solely going to be used for hosting brainwave and the media+shipping of the physical materials not anything else

Plus did i mention the GPL license allows selling of FOSS\FLOSS Material as long as the creator is given credit and the source is available for use and review on the same installation media as stated here in this link :
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.php

A prime example of this provision in action is this specific site
http://www.osdisc.com

It's a fine dandy site where you purchase all major known distributions of linux including our favorite, Puppy Linux for about a 1.92$ USD plus applicable shipping fee's which actually amount about 3-5 dollars if you chose the cheapest route

I believe this was solely a minor misunderstanding on the selling thing...

I just felt the need to explain myself.

I did not and do not mean this post to seem like or sound like anything offending

you brought up some very good points and I respect that.

Thank you for your wisdom and understanding

Sincerely,

Saturn