Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 25 Jul 2014, 15:57
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
My long term someday goal: a Cross Linux From Scratch Pup
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [24 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Thu 25 Nov 2010, 16:47    Post subject:  My long term someday goal: a Cross Linux From Scratch Pup
Subject description: This may take a year or two...

The purpose of this thread is to fully document an attempt to build a Puppy *not* using t2, not using woof, and not by back-engineering or adding-onto an existing Puppy.

Instead, I am going to attempt to build my very own Pup from scratch, by following the instructions of Cross Linux From Scratch, though I will vary from the prescribed procedure as I see fit.

This will be built on a desktop Athlon64 x2 6000+ with 2 G of ddr2-1066. So, I will be using a newer kernel, and this will not be a Puppy for older machines and netbooks.

However, once we have a reliable start-to-finish build procedure in hand, it should not be difficult to adapt it to older kernels, older machines, and specialty machines such as netbooks. Also to non-Intel, e.g. arm architectures.

Screen capture, showing the arrangement of the disks on my build machine. Sources are kept on sdb2 and the actual build will be done on sdc1.
-

Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Thu 25 Nov 2010, 20:59; edited 6 times in total
Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Thu 25 Nov 2010, 16:48    Post subject:  

Milestones will be here.
-

Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Thu 25 Nov 2010, 20:22; edited 2 times in total
Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Thu 25 Nov 2010, 16:48    Post subject: clfs-pup, page iv: version check  

The book I will be following is:
http://cross-lfs.org/files/BOOK/CLFS-TRUNK-SVN-20100828-CHUNKS.tar.bz2

with a peek often into
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/downloads/6.7/LFS-BOOK-6.7.pdf
and
www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/6.3/BLFS-6.3.pdf

The distro I am building from, is a September 5, 2010 local woofbuild of Quirky t2-8.0rc, much like Quirky-130. I will refer to it hereafter as "SHS-t2-Quirky". It has kernel 2.6.34.1.

OK, here we go:

page iv: Host System Requirements

The system should have these minimum versions:

Bash-2.05a
Binutils-2.12 (Versions greater than 2.20.1 are not recommended as they have not been tested)
Bison-1.875
Bzip2-1.0.2
Coreutils-5.0 (or Sh-Utils-2.0, Textutils-2.0, and Fileutils-4.1)
Diffutils-2.8
Findutils-4.1.20
Gawk-3.0
Gcc-2.95.3 (Versions greater than 4.5.1 are not recommended as they have not been tested)
Glibc-2.2.5 (Versions greater than 2.12 are not recommended as they have not been tested)
Grep-2.5
Gzip-1.2.4
Linux 2.6.22
Make-3.79.1
Ncurses-5.3
Patch-2.5.4
Sed-3.0.2
Tar-1.14
Texinfo-4.4

Using the modified version-check.sh, attached, we see:
Code:
# ./version-check.sh
bash, version 3.00.16(1)-release
Binutils: (Linux/GNU Binutils) 2.20.51.0.2.20091009
bison (GNU Bison) 2.4.1
bzip2,  Version 1.0.5, 10-Dec-2007.
Coreutils:  2.20.51.0.2.20091009
diff (GNU diffutils) 2.8.1
find (GNU findutils) 4.4.2
GNU Awk 3.1.6
gcc (GCC) 4.3.4
GNU C Library stable release version 2.10.1,
GNU grep 2.5.4
gzip 1.3.11
Linux 2.6.34.1
GNU Make 3.81
ncurses 5.7.20081102
patch 2.5.9
GNU sed version 4.2.1
tar (GNU tar) 1.22
makeinfo (GNU texinfo) 4.13
#

So, SHS-t2-Quirky's binutils version is "not recommended as it has not been tested," however I am going to presume it is good, as I have seen no problems with these binutils in daily use for more than two months.

The above readout made me believe that coreutils would need to be brought up to the clfs minimum requirement first, before I began; and I did so, documented in the next message; however, by running version-check.sh before and after installing the newest coreutils, I discovered that it was unnecessary to upgrade coreutils, as the version 2.20.51.0.2.20091009 is in fact coreutils-8.7.
version-check.sh.gz
Description  modified version of version-check.sh, from CLFS page iv
gz

Download 
Filename  version-check.sh.gz 
Filesize  291 Bytes 
Downloaded  256 Time(s) 

Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Sun 28 Nov 2010, 02:11; edited 8 times in total
Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Thu 25 Nov 2010, 16:48    Post subject: clfs-pup, page iv: preliminary coreutils upgrade
Subject description: (turned out to be unnecessary)

Gnu Coreutils home page:
http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/
Download page:
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/coreutils/

Looking at file://localhost/mnt/sdb2/CLFS-BOOK-TRUNK-SVN-20100828/x86/index.html
we see that the version cited in the clfs instructions is Coreutils-8.5, however the newest version on offer is 8.7, and so I downloaded this:

http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/coreutils/coreutils-8.7.tar.xz

into /mnt/sdb2/sources/input-coreutils

unpack it by left-click in Rox (XArchiver),

shift into the unpack directory coreutils-8.7

The standard Puppy configure parameters, given at http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=00703, are:
Code:
# ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --build=i486-pc-linux-gnu

However, looking first at the clfs instructions
file://localhost/mnt/sdb2/CLFS-BOOK-TRUNK-SVN-20100828/x86/temp-system/coreutils.html
we see that, it is necessary to perform the following modifications on the coreutils source first, so that the coreutils Makefile does not attempt to regenerate the man files, and so that the df (report filesystem disk space usage) program will be built:
Code:
cd /mnt/sdb2/sources/input-coreutils/coreutils-8.7
touch man/uname.1 man/hostname.1
cat > config.cache << EOF
fu_cv_sys_stat_statfs2_bsize=yes
gl_cv_func_working_mkstemp=yes
EOF

The above six commands were executed, and then the compile was run, per this amalgam of the Puppy standard configure and the clfs prescription plus the optional parameters listed by './configure --help':
Code:
CFLAGS='-o2 -march=i486 -mtune=i686'
./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --build=i486-pc-linux-gnu --cache-file=config.cache --enable-threads=posix --with-gnu-ld
make
new2dir make install

In new2dir, I opted to build just a single package; because, I foresee that it will be easier to, after the distro is completely built, separate the html, doc, and man files out by using a variant of my Clipper packaging script. This way, all documentation for the base distro will be available as a single .sfs or .pet file.
-

Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Thu 25 Nov 2010, 22:32; edited 9 times in total
Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Thu 25 Nov 2010, 16:52    Post subject: clfs-pup, page 2.3: Creating a File System on the Partition  

2.3. Creating a File System on the Partition

I am ignoring the warnings here and will go ahead and create the build on a pre-existing, empty ext3 partition (sdc1).

On my machine, sda1 is a 2 G swap partition. It is already turned on automatically by Puppy (i.e. by SHS-t2-Quirky), and so there is no need to format or initialize it.
-

Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Fri 26 Nov 2010, 00:30; edited 3 times in total
Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Thu 25 Nov 2010, 20:23    Post subject: clfs-pup, page 2.4: Mounting the New Partition  

Since I will be building on just a single partition, it is fairly straightforward to run the equivalent of this page's instructions, like this:

1. Place the
Code:
export CLFS='/mnt/clfs'
command in SHS-t2-Quirky's (Puppy's) configuration file /etc/profile, just after the
Code:
export QT_XFT=true
line.

2. Append these lines to Puppy's startup user-initialization file /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
Code:
# added by SHS for building clfs pup: mount sdb2 so you have the sources up right away when booted:
mount -t auto /dev/sdb2 /mnt/sdb2
# added by SHS for building clfs pup: have the build partition up already right away when booted:
mount -t auto /dev/sdc1 /mnt/sdc1
# added by SHS for building clfs pup: remove symlink if it exists:
rm -f /mnt/clfs
# added by SHS for building clfs pup: re-create the symlink fresh at each boot:
ln -s -T /mnt/sdc1 /mnt/clfs
and reboot.

Looks like this now:
http://i54.tinypic.com/zwjapz.png
-

Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Sat 27 Nov 2010, 00:43; edited 7 times in total
l0wt3ch

PostPosted: Thu 25 Nov 2010, 21:56    Post subject:  

Hmm! Very Happy
Last edited by l0wt3ch on Thu 02 Dec 2010, 09:12; edited 1 time in total
Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov 2010, 01:04    Post subject: clfs-pup, page 3.1: Packages and Patches. Introduction  

I am not storing my sources to ${CLFS}/sources (in other words, /mnt/sdc1/sources), rather am keeping them on a separate partition (sdb2) from the partition on which the build occurs (sdc1).

The "download list" on this page is non-existent, so, attached is a bash script, download1, which will download the packages and scripts from http://cross-lfs.org/files/packages/svn/.

First, create the sourcecode directory to hold them in:
Code:
mkdir /mnt/sdb2/CLFS-PACKAGES_AND_SCRIPTS-SVN_NOVEMBER_02_2010
chmod -v a+wt /mnt/sdb2/CLFS-PACKAGES_AND_SCRIPTS-SVN_NOVEMBER_02_2010
cd /mnt/sdb2/CLFS-PACKAGES_AND_SCRIPTS-SVN_NOVEMBER_02_2010

Download and unpack the attached script, download1, into
/mnt/sdb2/CLFS-PACKAGES_AND_SCRIPTS-SVN_NOVEMBER_02_2010

Run the script to download them:
Code:
./download1

Total size of the download is about 299 MB.
download1.gz
Description  download script for CLFS packages and scripts, svn Nov 02 2010
gz

Download 
Filename  download1.gz 
Filesize  1.2 KB 
Downloaded  281 Time(s) 

Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Sat 27 Nov 2010, 01:13; edited 1 time in total
Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov 2010, 01:11    Post subject: clfs-pup, page 3.2 All Packages and 3.3 Additional Packages  

The list of files on page 3.2 is what has been downloaded (plus a few more) by the script attached to the above message. Total size is 299 MB according to ls -lah.

The file listed on page 3.3, grub-1.98.tar.gz, has also been downloaded by the above script.
Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov 2010, 01:25    Post subject: clfs-pup, page 3.4 Needed Patches and 3.5 Additional Patches  

The attached bash script, download-patches, will download all the patches listed on page 3.4 and 3.5 (in fact, everything in http://patches.cross-lfs.org/dev/ as of November 26, 2010). To use it:
Code:
mkdir /mnt/sdb2/CLFS-PATCHES-SVN_NOVEMBER_02_2010
chmod -v a+wt /mnt/sdb2/CLFS-PATCHES-SVN_NOVEMBER_02_2010
cd /mnt/sdb2/CLFS-PATCHES-SVN_NOVEMBER_02_2010

Download and unpack download-patches into /mnt/sdb2/CLFS-PATCHES-SVN_NOVEMBER_02_2010. Run it:
Code:
./download-patches
download-patches.gz
Description  bash script to download the CLFS patches
gz

Download 
Filename  download-patches.gz 
Filesize  585 Bytes 
Downloaded  257 Time(s) 
Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov 2010, 01:40    Post subject: clfs-pup, pages 4.1 and 4.2 Creating the ${CLFS}/tools Dir  

page 4.1, is already taken care of by what we did for page 2.4.

To create the subdirectory into which the toolchain will be built, the commands on page 4.2 were run exactly as given:
Code:
install -dv ${CLFS}/tools
ln -sv ${CLFS}/tools /

This creates /mnt/sdc1/tools and a symlink to it, /tools. It is also accessible as /mnt/clfs/tools, of course.
Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov 2010, 01:45    Post subject: clfs-pup, p. 4.3. Creating the ${CLFS}/cross-tools Directory  

To create a subdirectory into which a cross-toolchain can be built, the commands on page 4.3 are run exactly as given:
Code:
install -dv ${CLFS}/cross-tools
ln -sv ${CLFS}/cross-tools /

Open a Rox window on /mnt/clfs and you'll see them.
Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov 2010, 01:50    Post subject: clfs-pup, page 4.4. Adding the CLFS User  

Since SHS-t2-Quirky (i.e. Quirky Puppy) runs by default as root and does not carry the groupadd and useradd commands to create a new user, I will go ahead and build clfs-pup as root.
Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov 2010, 15:04    Post subject: clfs-pup, page 4.5. Setting Up the Environment (discussion)  

(this and the next few messages will be somewhat messy at first; I'm running out of real estate on my own screen, and need to think out loud)

One problem with the clfs-prescribed procedure of page 4.5, is that, overwriting /root/.bashrc with the suggested version will cause all instances of rxvt to observe the changed settings, in other words to see only the limited set of environment variables intended for the clfs build.

But I want to be able meanwhile to do other work on this machine while building the clfs-pup.

For example, in previous attempts to build individual packages under Puppy according to lfs or blfs or clfs instructions, it has often been my experience that I need to first compile-and-add a dependency into *not* the lfs/clfs build, but rather into the Puppy host distro (in this case SHS-t2-Quirky) itself. In such cases, where I need to compile-and-add something into SHS-t2-quirky itself as a preliminary requirement, I want to be able to do the compiling in the full SHS-t2-Quirky environment.

Also, I need to meanwhile compose these messages, and I want a bash command, being run for illustrative purposes of this thread, to observe the full SHS-t2-Quirky environment (e.g. PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH).

So, in sum, I want to be able to enter either environment, my regular one or the clfs-build one, at will.

Provisionally, my solution (still being developed, see next few messages) will be this:

1. Add to SHS-t2-Quirky, a second terminal emulator.
2. Start this second terminal emulator using a bash script which limits it to the prescribed clfs-build environment.
3. And, place this environment-limiting bash script somewhere where it does not affect regular rxvt.

As this second terminal emulator, the clfs-build-terminal, I choose Sakura, mainly because it looks very different from rxvt. And so, there is little-or-no chance that I will inadvertently start a program from Sakura forgetting that, when in Sakura, I am in the limited clfs-build environment.

aragon posted a .pet of Sakura 2.3.8 here, but its dependency vte-0.22.5 fails to install on SHS-t2-Quirky.

So, the plan now is to install Sakura from scratch, preparatory to proceeding.
Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov 2010, 15:19    Post subject: clfs-pup, aside --compiler and linker flags  

Here is a section I have added to /etc/profile, so that I don't have to re-type the compiler and linker flags every time. Also so that I can just type

./configure $PUPPYCOMPILE

instead of

./configure --prefix=/usr --build=i486-pc-linux-gnu

et cetera:

Screen capture, showing the section of /etc/profile to which I have added CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, LDFLAGS, and PUPPYCOMPILE

I'm sticking with -O2 as the compiler optimization. I know that -Os produces smaller code, but -O2 is in my experience thoroughly reliable. My first goal is to produce a *working* distro. Then I'll go back and fine-tune it...

Code:
# next line was added by SHS for purpose of CLFS:
export CLFS='/mnt/clfs'

# compiler and linker flags added by SHS:

# CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, CPPFLAGS per technosaurus, see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=350313 --except I'm keeping -mtune=i686 -march=i486 -w, -O2, and -Wall):
CFLAGS="-mtune=i686 -march=i486 -O2 -pipe -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -fmerge-constants -w -Wall"
CXXFLAGS="-mtune=i686 -march=i486 -O2 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -fmerge-constants -w -Wall"
CPPFLAGS="-mtune=i686 -march=i486 -O2 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -fmerge-constants -w -Wall"
# LDFLAGS is per http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/asneeded.xml except
#  leaving out '--as-needed' because many programs are reported to break with it
#  --see http://hwoarang.silverarrow.org/2010/08/13/why-should-a-package-respect-ldflags-anyway/
#  --also see http://lwn.net/Articles/192624/
#  --also see http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/HOWTO_Hashstyle, LDFLAGS must be modified
#    --when emerging binutils and glibc, it is recommended to eliminate -Wl and --hash-style
LDFLAGS="-Wl,--hash-style=both,-O1"
# PUPPYCOMPILE is after gcc --ver from Puppy Quirky 130
#  plus the build parameter from http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=00703:
PUPPYCOMPILE="--prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --libdir=/usr/lib --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --infodir=/usr/info --mandir=/usr/man --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --build=i486-pc-linux-gnu "

# end of compiler and linker flags added by SHS

Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Mon 29 Nov 2010, 04:40; edited 2 times in total
Page 1 of 2 [24 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: