wine + free softmaker office suite fast/uses low resources

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
Frank Cox

Re: False Positive?

#61 Post by Frank Cox »

yorkiesnorkie wrote:Hi,

I checked the same file, ofw06freefull.exe, over with Avast for linux, and it didn't find anything. It may be that f-prot found a false positive.

I feel like a man with two watches, I don't know what time it is...

Y.
Hi Yorkie:

How much space does Avast use and how often does it update? I use it on my Window boxes but being on dial=up at home i have been reluctant to use it in Linux since it is so rare to get a virus in Linux anyway.

TIA

yorkiesnorkie

Avast

#62 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

HI,

It's a 27 mb download. I downloaded both the deb and the tar.gz file from Avast. You have to get a license key to get it to work.

I only ran the update once via the gui in order to check Softmaker Office. I used it also to check a windows jumpdrive and windows partition. No virus on linux! :lol:

I think you'd find it a pain to update on dialup. Just my opinion.

Y.
[url]http://www.busygamemaster.com[/url]

Frank Cox

avast

#63 Post by Frank Cox »

I think i will take my chances with xprot
thanks!

yorkiesnorkie

#64 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

I've had mixed results the xfprot gui, but f-prot works from the command line. I primarily use it for checking out PC files. For example I found four infected files on a windows partition and f-prot also reports various files on a windows partition as suspect or damaged I'd say f-prot works, updates, etc., works ok. Since it comes with the OS, that's something of an advantage since there's nothing else to install.

Y.
[url]http://www.busygamemaster.com[/url]

Frank Cox

Virus

#65 Post by Frank Cox »

yorkiesnorkie wrote:I've had mixed results the xfprot gui, but f-prot works from the command line. I primarily use it for checking out PC files. For example I found four infected files on a windows partition and f-prot also reports various files on a windows partition as suspect or damaged I'd say f-prot works, updates, etc., works ok. Since it comes with the OS, that's something of an advantage since there's nothing else to install.

Y.
In the meantime I have become such a big fan of Softmaker I am now offering it to my customers and plan to hit some local firms .
As var as virus protection the only Avast program for linux I have found .Avast4Workstations only scans when you tell it to making it very useful for running off a flash drive to rescue Billy Boxes .Always carry a disk as well in case you can't boot from USB and be sure to create a pupsavefile so you can frugal boot.
I am still using 2008 but will upgrade to 2010 on my next order,

Might watch for them having another giveaway this year!

Frank Cox

SM 2002 for Linux?

#66 Post by Frank Cox »

Has anyone tried the 2002 Linux version available here?

http://3d2f.com/programs/41-449-textmak ... nload.shtm

The 2006 has a platinum rating under wine but if the programs are not much different? Personally I don't care as I got licenses for 2008 during Christmas last year and am getting set up to be a reseller for them so i will have 2010 as well but I would like to know this for people who can't afford to purchase a new version.

Puppy users should recommend this software and asks those that buy it to tell them a PL user recommended it. Puppy users who have a computer shop, school. system admins etc. should get set up as a reseller. If we make them a lot of money they just might give us 2008 to use to replace Abi-Word

jakfish

#67 Post by jakfish »

There's a free version of TM 2002 that's on the puppy archive. I found it did the job, but it's CPU-intensive. TM cleaned up things in later versions. Ditto for TM 2002 for Windows CE and TM 2002 for Zaurus (Qtopia Linux)

Small app, though, TM 2002. 7mbs total, I think.

Jake

Frank Cox

thanks

#68 Post by Frank Cox »

jakfish wrote:There's a free version of TM 2002 that's on the puppy archive. I found it did the job, but it's CPU-intensive. TM cleaned up things in later versions. Ditto for TM 2002 for Windows CE and TM 2002 for Zaurus (Qtopia Linux)

Small app, though, TM 2002. 7mbs total, I think.

Jake
Thanks Jake;

I think I will recommend they use the 2006 under wine if they can't afford 2010.
2008 has worked well for me.

jakfish

#69 Post by jakfish »

I run both SM 2008 for Linux and for Windows on Puppy 4.31

Weirdly enough, I can network print with the Windows version, but not the Linux version.

Another drawback of the Linux version is that the menu fonts, etc. are hard-coded--whereas, as you know, menus and such are infinitely adjustable under Wine.

I actually do the vast amount of my work with MS Word 97/Wine. Fast and furious, network printing, and other than *.docx, never a conversion problem.

I've often been temped to install MS Word 6, my all-time favorite wp, but hard to find the converters and get them up and running. I also don't know if Wine plays nice with 16-bit stuff.

Jake

Frank Cox

SoftMaker special

#70 Post by Frank Cox »

I use a Bible program called ESword under wine on Puppy and Ubuntu and it runs better than it does under windows so i am familiar with weird. ;}

Right now SM is offering the people who downloaded the "free" version 50% off on SMO 2010 which is 39.95 for widows or linux or 49.95 for both.