Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 28 Nov 2014, 16:51
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Documents
wine + free softmaker office suite fast/uses low resources
Page 5 of 5 [70 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Frank Cox

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jul 2010, 17:17    Post subject: Re: False Positive?  

yorkiesnorkie wrote:
Hi,

I checked the same file, ofw06freefull.exe, over with Avast for linux, and it didn't find anything. It may be that f-prot found a false positive.

I feel like a man with two watches, I don't know what time it is...

Y.

Hi Yorkie:

How much space does Avast use and how often does it update? I use it on my Window boxes but being on dial=up at home i have been reluctant to use it in Linux since it is so rare to get a virus in Linux anyway.

TIA
yorkiesnorkie

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jul 2010, 15:02    Post subject: Avast  

HI,

It's a 27 mb download. I downloaded both the deb and the tar.gz file from Avast. You have to get a license key to get it to work.

I only ran the update once via the gui in order to check Softmaker Office. I used it also to check a windows jumpdrive and windows partition. No virus on linux! Laughing

I think you'd find it a pain to update on dialup. Just my opinion.

Y.

Frank Cox

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jul 2010, 00:02    Post subject: avast  

I think i will take my chances with xprot
thanks!
yorkiesnorkie

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jul 2010, 13:21    Post subject:  

I've had mixed results the xfprot gui, but f-prot works from the command line. I primarily use it for checking out PC files. For example I found four infected files on a windows partition and f-prot also reports various files on a windows partition as suspect or damaged I'd say f-prot works, updates, etc., works ok. Since it comes with the OS, that's something of an advantage since there's nothing else to install.

Y.

Frank Cox

PostPosted: Mon 29 Nov 2010, 17:10    Post subject: Virus  

yorkiesnorkie wrote:
I've had mixed results the xfprot gui, but f-prot works from the command line. I primarily use it for checking out PC files. For example I found four infected files on a windows partition and f-prot also reports various files on a windows partition as suspect or damaged I'd say f-prot works, updates, etc., works ok. Since it comes with the OS, that's something of an advantage since there's nothing else to install.

Y.

In the meantime I have become such a big fan of Softmaker I am now offering it to my customers and plan to hit some local firms .
As var as virus protection the only Avast program for linux I have found .Avast4Workstations only scans when you tell it to making it very useful for running off a flash drive to rescue Billy Boxes .Always carry a disk as well in case you can't boot from USB and be sure to create a pupsavefile so you can frugal boot.
I am still using 2008 but will upgrade to 2010 on my next order,

Might watch for them having another giveaway this year!
Frank Cox

PostPosted: Mon 29 Nov 2010, 17:36    Post subject: SM 2002 for Linux?  

Has anyone tried the 2002 Linux version available here?

http://3d2f.com/programs/41-449-textmaker-for-linux-download.shtm

The 2006 has a platinum rating under wine but if the programs are not much different? Personally I don't care as I got licenses for 2008 during Christmas last year and am getting set up to be a reseller for them so i will have 2010 as well but I would like to know this for people who can't afford to purchase a new version.

Puppy users should recommend this software and asks those that buy it to tell them a PL user recommended it. Puppy users who have a computer shop, school. system admins etc. should get set up as a reseller. If we make them a lot of money they just might give us 2008 to use to replace Abi-Word
jakfish

PostPosted: Mon 29 Nov 2010, 18:01    Post subject:  

There's a free version of TM 2002 that's on the puppy archive. I found it did the job, but it's CPU-intensive. TM cleaned up things in later versions. Ditto for TM 2002 for Windows CE and TM 2002 for Zaurus (Qtopia Linux)

Small app, though, TM 2002. 7mbs total, I think.

Jake
Frank Cox

PostPosted: Mon 29 Nov 2010, 20:28    Post subject: thanks  

jakfish wrote:
There's a free version of TM 2002 that's on the puppy archive. I found it did the job, but it's CPU-intensive. TM cleaned up things in later versions. Ditto for TM 2002 for Windows CE and TM 2002 for Zaurus (Qtopia Linux)

Small app, though, TM 2002. 7mbs total, I think.

Jake

Thanks Jake;

I think I will recommend they use the 2006 under wine if they can't afford 2010.
2008 has worked well for me.
jakfish

PostPosted: Tue 30 Nov 2010, 16:55    Post subject:  

I run both SM 2008 for Linux and for Windows on Puppy 4.31

Weirdly enough, I can network print with the Windows version, but not the Linux version.

Another drawback of the Linux version is that the menu fonts, etc. are hard-coded--whereas, as you know, menus and such are infinitely adjustable under Wine.

I actually do the vast amount of my work with MS Word 97/Wine. Fast and furious, network printing, and other than *.docx, never a conversion problem.

I've often been temped to install MS Word 6, my all-time favorite wp, but hard to find the converters and get them up and running. I also don't know if Wine plays nice with 16-bit stuff.

Jake
Frank Cox

PostPosted: Tue 30 Nov 2010, 18:06    Post subject: SoftMaker special  

I use a Bible program called ESword under wine on Puppy and Ubuntu and it runs better than it does under windows so i am familiar with weird. ;}

Right now SM is offering the people who downloaded the "free" version 50% off on SMO 2010 which is 39.95 for widows or linux or 49.95 for both.
Page 5 of 5 [70 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Documents
Jump to: