mkdotpup: a new script to make dotpup and register it

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
drj

mkdotpup: a new script to make dotpup and register it

#1 Post by drj »

I wrote a bash script to create dotpup package from a filelist. it generates potpup.sh (needs to customize pre/post tasks) and then *.pup package. when the package installed, it also registers with PupGet.

usage:

1. create a filelist for all files in the package. The filename should be
packagename-release-filelist
for example: mrxvt-0.3.13-filelist

Content of mrxvt-0.3.13-filelist:

# All files to be distributed, in ABSOLUTE PATH
/usr/X11R6/bin/mrxvt
/usr/lib/libutempter.so.1.1.1
/usr/X11/share/pixmaps/mrxvt.xpm
/usr/X11/share/pixmaps/mrxvt.png
/usr/X11/share/pixmaps/mrxvt-root.xpm
/usr/X11/share/pixmaps/mrxvt-root.png

2. customize mkdotpup for pre/post tasks

3. execute
./bkdotpup mrxvt-0.3.13-filelist

4 package mrxvt-0.3.13.pup will be created

5. when install, mrxvt-0.3.13 will also be registered with PupGet and shows up in PupGet Package Manager

enjoy

PS: somehow I can not upload the script (the extension array is not allowed). I am copy&paste it here. it is small

#============ Cut =========================
#!/bin/bash
#
# This script makes dotpup package for Puppy Linux.
# version 0.0.1, DrJ, 06/29/2005
#
# It takes one argument as following format: packagename-release-filelist
# example: ./mkdotpup mrxvt-0.3.13-filelist
#
#

# minimum check
if (( $# != 1 ))
then
echo -e "Usage: \n./mkdotpup packagename-release-filelist \n"
exit 1
else
PACKAGE=${1%-filelist}
fi

# tar all files
cat ${PACKAGE}-filelist | grep "^/" > /tmp/${PACKAGE}.files
echo "/tmp/${PACKAGE}.files" >> /tmp/${PACKAGE}.files
cat /tmp/${PACKAGE}.files | tar czvpPf ${PACKAGE}.tar.gz -T -

# do the md5sums
md5sum -b ${PACKAGE}.tar.gz >> md5sum.txt

# make dotpup (actually zip) file
rm -f ${PACKAGE}.pup
zip -9 ${PACKAGE}.pup ${PACKAGE}.tar.gz md5sum.txt

# Customize pre/post-unzip tasks to fit your package
#
# create dotpup.sh
PNAME=${PACKAGE%%-*}
PSIZE=`du ${PACKAGE}.pup|cut -f "1"`
cat > dotpup.sh <<EOF
#!/bin/bash
#
# all regular shell tricks go

# pre-unzip tasks
#

# unzip the files using absolute paths, normally no changes needed
tar -xzpvP --no-same-owner -f ${PACKAGE}.tar.gz

# post-unzip tasks
#
ln -sf /usr/lib/libutempter.so.1.1.1 /usr/lib/libutempter.so
ln -sf /usr/lib/libutempter.so.1.1.1 /usr/lib/libutempter.so.0

# Register with PupGet as an alien package
echo '"${PNAME}" "${PACKAGE}" on "XLIBAPPS ${PSIZE}K" \\' >> /root/.packages/alienpackages.txt
echo "${PACKAGE}" > /root/.packages/${PACKAGE}.keyword
mv /tmp/${PACKAGE}.files /root/.packages/${PACKAGE}.files

exit 0

EOF
# End of customization

# add dotpup.sh to the package
chmod +x dotpup.sh
zip -u ${PACKAGE}.pup dotpup.sh

#clean-up
rm -f dotpup.sh ${PACKAGE}.tar.gz md5sum.txt /tmp/${PACKAGE}.files

exit 0

#============ Cut =========================
Attachments
mrxvt-0.3.13.pup
multi-tabbled rxvt (terminal)
(133.84 KiB) Downloaded 1073 times
Last edited by drj on Tue 12 Jul 2005, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.

papaschtroumpf

#2 Post by papaschtroumpf »

That's a good start.
You now need to add code to have the program register itself in the menus, most DotPups don't.
Sample code can be found in my FTP server package ( http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?p=4475#4475 ) for examples on how to register a program with fvwm95, jwm and icewm menus. Easy enough to add other WMs.
I found the easiest way to add oneself to the menu is to look for an entry that is part of the unleashed suite becuase it will always be in the file even if it's commented out.
For example my ftp server inserts itself before the LinNeighbourhood entry, even if LinNeighbourhood is not installed.
Mandriva LE 2005 user and puppy newbie

drj

#3 Post by drj »

yeah, it is on my list

I am kind of in a waiting mood, for 1.0.4 and VL5Std. I am in VMWare session.

papaschtroumpf wrote:That's a good start.
You now need to add code to have the program register itself in the menus, most DotPups don't.
Sample code can be found in my FTP server package ( http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?p=4475#4475 ) for examples on how to register a program with fvwm95, jwm and icewm menus. Easy enough to add other WMs.
I found the easiest way to add oneself to the menu is to look for an entry that is part of the unleashed suite becuase it will always be in the file even if it's commented out.
For example my ftp server inserts itself before the LinNeighbourhood entry, even if LinNeighbourhood is not installed.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

So, should I put this in the index, or consider it a beta release and leave it out for now?

Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

Flash, it a nice script. I don't think the script is as important, as is the idea of registering the dotpups under certain circumstances.

People making the dotpups should get the idea that they need to register the dotpups when using /usr (actually /root/.usr), because they will be deleted in installation type 1 Puppy upgrades.

As for my own computer, I don't really care, because I do a fresh install when I upgrade. Also, I save the dotpups, and they are very easy to install.

I wonder, if the user modifications to the jvm and fvwm95 menus get lost when an upgrade is made? I would think so. Anyone know for sure?

In answer to your question, I humbly suggest: Put it in the index as a discussion on registering dotpup files.

Also, drj is sharp and creative with his scripting and dotpup making, especially considering he or she is just starting making dotpups. An asset to us dotpup lovers. I hope he sticks around.

Bruce B

#6 Post by Bruce B »

I installed and inspected mrxvt-0.3.13.pup and it looks good IMO.

I think people wanting to register dotpups might want to study this package.

Disclaimer: I consider GuestToo the world's foremost expert on dotpups, not me for sure.

Here is the portion of dotpup.sh which registers the the package

Code: Select all

# Register with PupGet as an alien package
echo '"mrxvt" "mrxvt-0.3.13" on "XLIBAPPS 135K" \'>>/root/.packages/alienpackages.txt
echo "mrxvt-0.3.13" > /root/.packages/mrxvt-0.3.13.keyword
mv /tmp/mrxvt-0.3.13.files /root/.packages/mrxvt-0.3.13.files

papaschtroumpf

#7 Post by papaschtroumpf »

One important thing could be missing in the registration with PupGet, or for a DotPup in general: the cleanup stage on installation.

PupGet will automatically delete the files in the XXXX.files list, but that's all the cleanup it does. Depending on your application you may need to do more significant cleanup when it gets removed (for example removing the menu entries). You can reacte a XXXX.remove script in the .packages dirctory (see the betaftpd package example).

DotPups only do the cleanup that you script for them.

Of course it ets even trickier when you deal with libraries since other applications may rely on them and installing/uninstalling the package may break others if you remove the libraries.

As anyone made a Dotpup to Unleashed script? I really want to have some things on the CD from the start rather than adding them on later (such as mrxvrt as a replacment for rxvt)

Bruce B

#8 Post by Bruce B »

Different window managers of course operate differently.

I use icewm and it has some pretty cool features as explained below:

For example, if an application is removed it will not show up in the menu. The menu doesn't need to be modified to accomodate application removal.

Also, if whoever writes the menu (to date it has been GuestToo), anticipates certain applications may get installed, (which he does), he can included them in the menu. Then, if the application gets installed, it will show up automatically.

papaschtroumpf

#9 Post by papaschtroumpf »

you can't make Dotpups that only work properly on icewm. Well, you can, I suppose, but that's not very user friendly, unless iceWM brcomes the officla puppy WM :D

That's one of the problems about adding a bunch of windows managers to puppy. (see this thread about how that could be addressed)

Even with iceWM you still would need to add your app to the menu file, unless GuestToo's crystal ball is really good. :P

Inserting menu items is really not that hard, one if these days I'll write instructioms/sctips for doing in, unless someone beats me to it.

Bruce B

#10 Post by Bruce B »

papaschtroumpf wrote:you can't make Dotpups that only work properly on icewm. Well, you can, I suppose, but that's not very user friendly, unless iceWM brcomes the officla puppy WM :D

That's one of the problems about adding a bunch of windows managers to puppy. (see this thread about how that could be addressed)

Even with iceWM you still would need to add your app to the menu file, unless GuestToo's crystal ball is really good. :P

Inserting menu items is really not that hard, one if these days I'll write instructioms/sctips for doing in, unless someone beats me to it.
Good, I'm glad to learn that it is not hard to write the menu item scripts. Due to the fact that it is not hard, as you state, it shouldn't take much waiting on our part for you to write those scripts? I hope.

I appreciate that you are helping to solve these problems.

#11 Post by Guest »

heartly thanks for your comments

Honestly I chose Puppy Linux over other small distributions (say DSL, Feather ) due to the fact Puppy was young (~ 2 years, otherwise we should calll it DOG :lol: ) and there were some edges need to be polished. Hopefully my experience (10 yrs with Linux and making breads in IT) could be of assistance here
Bruce B wrote: Also, drj is sharp and creative with his scripting and dotpup making, especially considering he or she is just starting making dotpups. An asset to us dotpup lovers. I hope he sticks around.

drj

#12 Post by drj »

Should iceWM be the official WM for Puppy, along with xp theme, it COULD be a XP/Windows95 machine (was it the reason to use fvwm95 originally, so that Windows users would be at ease?). iceWM menu management (auto hide when appl is not available has 1 point plus over fvwm95)

do we know how many use iceWM as default WM?
papaschtroumpf wrote:you can't make Dotpups that only work properly on icewm. Well, you can, I suppose, but that's not very user friendly, unless iceWM brcomes the officla puppy WM :D

drj

#13 Post by drj »

OK Flash, you can put mrxvt to your index. The new make will add entry to all three WMs (ice, fvwm95 and jwm)

still don't know how to post the script (mkdotpup)

Edit:
correct typo and upload mkdotpup script

Flash wrote:So, should I put this in the index, or consider it a beta release and leave it out for now?
Attachments
mrxvt-0.3.13.pup
updated mrxvt
(133.84 KiB) Downloaded 1067 times
mkdotpup.gz
script to make dotpup package
(1.18 KiB) Downloaded 1148 times
Last edited by drj on Thu 30 Jun 2005, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.

papaschtroumpf

#14 Post by papaschtroumpf »

I'd love to see an unleashed to build it in a liveCD (et rid of xtvt altogether ans symlink it to mxrvt)

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#15 Post by GuestToo »

you can zip the script and upload it

or you could put the script in a dotpup ... the dotpup could install it in my-documents or my-applications/bin ... and with the md5sum check, you know that the script downloaded perfectly

a dotpup.sh script could give the option of installing the program or creating an unleashed package

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#16 Post by GuestToo »

by the way, i just tried the latest mrxvt dotpup

it puts mrxvt in /usr/X11R6/bin/
but it puts this menu item in Icewm:
prog "mrsvt" mini-sh /usr/local/bin/mrxvt -sr -e Bash

so it doesn't show up in the menu

also, i don't think -e Bash will work ... i think it should be -e bash

also, i don't think "mrsvt" is spelled right

i find 99% of the time spent making a package is spent configuring and tweaking and bug-fixing and testing

papaschtroumpf

#17 Post by papaschtroumpf »

GuestToo wrote:i find 99% of the time spent making a package is spent configuring and tweaking and bug-fixing and testing
So right!

also, how about prompting the user for a few "preconfigured" eye candy settings? If we spent the kilobytes on it, might as well use the it :D

Or maybe prompt the user for their own command line option before populating the menus? for example, I like the tab better at the bottom rather than at the top (I think it's -bt option), I like to save a lot of scroll lines (-sl xxxx I think) and I like the scrollbar to rxvt style because it's skinnier.

Of course I can always edit the menus myself....

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#18 Post by GuestToo »

yes, eye candy options give a little extra polish

an easy-to-read large-fonts option is always a good idea

also, i find the default number of lines too small ... i've been putting -sl 32000 in my menus (i hope it doesn't use too much memory for people who run Puppy with 32 megs of ram)

drj

#19 Post by drj »

sorry for typos. I have updated the package and uploaded mkdotpup script (.gz) in my previous posting. it SHOULD BE working now

GuestToo wrote:by the way, i just tried the latest mrxvt dotpup

it puts mrxvt in /usr/X11R6/bin/
but it puts this menu item in Icewm:
prog "mrsvt" mini-sh /usr/local/bin/mrxvt -sr -e Bash

so it doesn't show up in the menu

also, i don't think -e Bash will work ... i think it should be -e bash

also, i don't think "mrsvt" is spelled right

i find 99% of the time spent making a package is spent configuring and tweaking and bug-fixing and testing

Bruce B

mrxvtset dotpup

#20 Post by Bruce B »

This is a small utility for mrxvt

I compiled it from the source code at:

http://materm.sourceforge.net/docs/settitle.c
  • Usage:
    mrxvtset -t tab_title # set tab/terminal title
    mrxvtset -c tab_title # create a new tab
    mrxvtset -e encoding # change encoding method
    mrxvtset -g color # change tinting color
    mrxvtset -s number # change shade of tinting
    mrxvtset -o [-+]number # change opacity level
    mrxvtset -p # activate previous tab
    mrxvtset -n # activate next tab
    mrxvtset -a # hide/show tabbar buttons
    mrxvtset -H [m|t|s] # hide/show tabbar/scrollbar/menubar
filelist:
  • /root/my-applications/bin/mrxvtset
Naturally, it requires that you have mrxvt installed. :)

A couple of the features I particularly like are
  • * hiding the scrollbar
    * naming the tabs.
I've made bash aliases for these tasks, so I don't need to type in the full command.

Enjoy!
Attachments
mrxvtset.pup
(4.92 KiB) Downloaded 2129 times