Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 01 Oct 2014, 11:09
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » REQUESTS
[FILLED] Pidgin 2.7.7
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Makoto

PostPosted: Tue 23 Nov 2010, 05:25    Post_subject:  [FILLED] Pidgin 2.7.7  

Pidgin's homepage

I'm using Puppy 4.3.1 (Retro).

I did see a .pet for v2.7.6 on the wikka, but I'm not sure if that one works with 4.3.1 - and it also apparently installs outside the pup_save, which I'd rather not do (I just prefer backing up as few files as possible, when backing up my Puppy files. Razz)

(11/23 - Updated the subject line from 2.7.6 to 2.7.7, because vercion 2.7.7 was just released today. Shocked )

Edited_time_total
Makoto

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec 2010, 04:54    Post_subject:  

Argh. Well, I got tired of the constant MSN security certificate errors (I'd originally grabbed the new certificate from omega.contacts.msn.com - then the Pidgin devs said that was the wrong way to do it, close Pidgin, delete that certificate, place these .pem files in the /usr/share/purple/ca-certs/ directory, restart Pidgin. Okay, done.

...except now, it's gotten to the point where it gripes at me about the certificate 99% of the time, and doesn't connect (it might, that 1% of the time...). And as you'd expect (especially when all but one or two of your contacts are on MSN), it's really, really, really annoying.

So, as coolpup recommended, I tried the version on the wikka (http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Pidgin). Originally, it gave only a single complaint, about libidn.so.11. So, I found a .pet for it here, and installed. it.

...now, it's giving me these complaints:

Code:
pidgin: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by pidgin)
pidgin: /usr/lib/libidn.so.11: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libpurple.so.0)
pidgin: /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libpurple.so.0)
pidgin: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by /usr/lib/libpurple.so.0)

What do I need? An updated version of glib, just glibc, or both? Is that possibly a dangerous thing to chance on Puppy? (And, anyway, where do I find whichever one (or both) that I need? Embarassed )

dejan555

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec 2010, 05:23    Post_subject:  

Not reccomended to try to change glibc, what you need is pidgin compiled on 4.x series because 5.x has different libc and libs. I might try to compile later today but don't take that as a promise Razz

dejan555

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec 2010, 14:17    Post_subject:  

Here it is Makoto, compiled on very 4.3.1 with gnutls dependencies added:
pidgin_FULL-2.7.7-i486-431.pet

For DEV/DOC/NLS and other individual gnutls pets look here:
http://puppy.b0x.me/software/pup431/

Makoto

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec 2010, 15:20    Post_subject:  

Oops. I accidentally managed to pass out (=fall asleep) earlier this morning. Embarassed (I usually don't sleep much, at all. Razz Shocked )

Yeah, I was afraid of that (that it was possibly compiled on Puppy 5 and there was an issue with glib/c as a result), and vaguely remembered reading somewhere on the forum that it wasn't a good idea to try messing with/upgrading/etc. glib or glibc in Puppy. Smile

It does seem to be working with no problems, though. Thanks! (Although I haven't yet tried opening it in the terminal to see if it throws any error messages of any sort.

abushcrafter

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec 2010, 21:04    Post_subject:  

Thanks dejan555 for the Pidgin PET. I see there is a "--config=DIR" (Use "DIR" for config files.) parameter Very Happy. Now for one more test and we will have a PortablePidgin Very Happy.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » REQUESTS
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum