Quirky 1.4 bug reports and feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
Karl Godt

#61 Post by Karl Godt »

Another thing is that some of the newest GEANY Editors seem to be compiled or programmed to "SAVE AS" save the file not with the original permissions .

I also would appreciate it with lesser yellow on white in the /usr/share/geany
/filetypes.* . :wink:

string=0x216313;0xffffff;false;false

would give some kind of darkgreen on white .

for more about color names read

/usr/share/X11/rgb.txt

BarryK
Puppy Master

#62 Post by BarryK »

PaulBx1 wrote: BTW that help file has this:
When a package is installed, it appears in the window bottom-left.
Perhaps you mean, bottom-right...

It didn't look like you changed anything else. For example I was thinking the main package list might be stretchable like the installed packages list, but it's not. I also don't see the "ALL" category like you showed on your blog. Perhaps it is underneath the "Show" checkboxes? I made the assumption it would work in Lupu 511, hope that's right. I think I got the files over properly; at least the loaded size is a bit larger than the originals.
Thanks, I will fix that "bottom-left".

You don't get "ALL" in Lupu, as the Ubuntu repos are too big. They are so huge, gtkdialog, which is what is used to display the list in the GUI, chokes and basically hangs.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

fluxit

#63 Post by fluxit »

They are so huge, gtkdialog, which is what is used to display the list in the GUI, chokes and basically hangs.
Not to say that the entire repo is needed, but can't it be buffered?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#64 Post by BarryK »

fluxit wrote:
They are so huge, gtkdialog, which is what is used to display the list in the GUI, chokes and basically hangs.
Not to say that the entire repo is needed, but can't it be buffered?
Have been through various exercises trying to fix it, water under the bridge now.

One thing I tried, an earlier version of PPM had a row of radiobuttons along the top, labeled a b c d e f ....z 0 ...9
to split the packages alphabetically.
But it made the GUI too complex-looking, clumsy to use.

CatDude

#65 Post by CatDude »

Hi

It appears that the focus problem i described in the Wary 0.9.8 (098) feedback thread,
is also in this Puppy as well.

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

fyujj

#66 Post by fyujj »

As with Quirky 1.3, the br-abnt2 keyboard choice from the first run wizard is broken.
I have no idea how to fix that, what I can say is that choosing "abnt2" as the keyboard model in the advanced mouse and keyboard wizard sets the keyboard correctly. I suppose this latter wizard edits xorg.conf.
Maybe up to Quirky 1.2 the first run wizard worked because it got the keymap from /usr/share/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/br-abnt2.map? Anyway, there's no such directory anymore.

I saw in /etc/X11/xkb/keymap/xfree86 this:
// us_intl and br by Ricardo Y. Igarashi (iga@that.com.br)
Well us_intl is a very different layout to br-abnt2, maybe this has something to do, maybe not (actually choosing br-abnt2 in the first run wizard sets the keyboard to us_intl, as far as I can identify).

Apart from this, it's working ok. After 4 or 5 boots I lost sound and couldn't get it back (ALSA configuration wizard would give input/output errors when trying to play a sound and multiple sound card wizard would find no card). Then I deleted the save file and I'm now in the second boot with normal sound. If I lose sound again (hope not) I won't do nothing and reboot with pfix=ram to check the differences.

rerwin

Solution for module & firmware loading flaws

#67 Post by rerwin »

Barry,
I have experimented with a way to implement the ideal way to limit loading to one time per module/tarball. It uses sed in-place with a backup file. That provides the current state of a list and adds a new entry, all with the same command, letting the kernel be responsible for file integrity among processes. For example:

Code: Select all

SEDSCRIPT="\$a \\MODULE=$MODULE DEVPATH=$DEVPATH MODALIAS=$MODALIAS"
sed -i.${$} -e "$SEDSCRIPT" /tmp/pup_event_module_devpath_log
grep -q "MODULE=$MODULE " /tmp/pup_event_module_devpath_log.${$} \
 && rm -f /tmp/pup_event_module_devpath_log.${$} \
 && exit 0
rm -f /tmp/pup_event_module_devpath_log.${$}
I believe the cleanest way to implement the technique is to resume support for the "protect --module=" and "protect --firmware=" services (and "protect --fwcomplete" to implement my previous suggestion for rc.services), to minimize code duplication. Those can be done without using a daemon.

For the logic to work, the devpath.log and firmware.inst files must contain at least one newline character, so that sed sees a "last line" to append to. Rc.sysinit seems the appropriate place to do that.

echo > /tmp/pup_event_module_devpath_log
For firmware...inst, the file should be seeded if nonexistant (or not included in the delivery), otherwise, sorted to eliminate duplicate entries, so that it does not grow unnecessarily. That can be done by:
sort -u -o /etc/modules/firmware.inst /etc/modules/firmware.inst
effectively sorting the file "in place" (although there is no danger from interference at this point).
Richard.

Karl Godt

#68 Post by Karl Godt »

echo > /tmp/pup_event_module_devpath_log
I think would empty/delete the file I think
shouldn't it be

echo >> FILE
While hacking jwmconfig I recocgnized such
echo [one] caret FILE that deleted .jwmrc-tray I think.
since four weeks I am fixing jwmconfig and find every day one more minor bug.
Serious bugs are that [test] and sed commands differ slightly than at former puppies.

PaulBx1

#69 Post by PaulBx1 »

You don't get "ALL" in Lupu, as the Ubuntu repos are too big. They are so huge, gtkdialog, which is what is used to display the list in the GUI, chokes and basically hangs.
Ah. There's always something.

But it's funny, your saying those repositories are so huge. When you select Ubuntu main and look through the categories, there aren't so many. Something is not adding up. For example, Desktop has 9 items, System 6, Setup 11. That's not so many.

I realize there are a lot of dependencies that might not show up on the list, libraries and things like that?

Still... I went to the /root/.packages directory and did this:
# grep "|Fun|" Packages-ubuntu-lucid-main

I see aisleriot which shows on the PPM list in the Fun category, but I also see bomber which doesn't show up. If I pipe that command to "wc -l" there are 45 lines, but the Fun category in PPM shows only 9 items.

<later>
I figured it out! I have ubuntu-lucid-main selected with the radio buttons on top, but what I am seeing in the package list is the repository puppy-lucid! :(

<later yet>
It looks like it works if I select a couple of radio buttons, and then go back to ubuntu-lucid-main. But if I enter PPM and just have ubuntu-lucid-main selected when I come in, and don't click any of those radio buttons, it is really displaying puppy-lucid. In other words, some variable needs to be initialized.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#70 Post by BarryK »

CatDude wrote:Hi

It appears that the focus problem i described in the Wary 0.9.8 (098) feedback thread,
is also in this Puppy as well.

CatDude
This is a ROX-Filer bug. The version that is currently in Puppy only partially fixes it (for drag and drop). You would need to examine the changelog of the latest in subversion to see if they have done any more work on the focus problem -- I doubt it, but you never know.

If not, then the ROX developers need to be informed.

The problem manifests for GTK >= 2.18.

There is a workaround, setting a certain environment variable, but that is not a good solution. I am not sure, but Lupu may have implemented that solution.

The history of this is in my blog.

James C

#71 Post by James C »

I grabbed another old machine off the shelf so....Quirky 140 live pfix=ram.Had sound,internet and correct resolution on boot.

VIDEO REPORT: Quirky Puppy, version 140

Chip description:
Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller

Driver used by Xorg:
intel

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#

-Computer-
Processor : 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Memory : 1025MB (242MB used)
Operating System : Puppy Linux 0.14
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Wed 01 Dec 2010 09:32:03 PM CST
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel

Running fine. :)

taca0

#72 Post by taca0 »

Using Xorg Vesa drive works but: Why don't compile the x11 driver of mplayer for expand and not stay fixed with the original resolution size??

PaulBx1

#73 Post by PaulBx1 »

Just to record it here (I also posted on Barry's blog), a fix to the last problem in PPM that I mentioned, a couple of posts back, is this:
I was fooling around with the code and found that on those places where you create the repo radiobuttons (4 places), if you change <radiobutton> to <radiobutton active="true">, then the selected radiobutton is in sync with the displayed package list.
That is, it will be in sync upon invocation of PPM.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#74 Post by BarryK »

PaulBx1 wrote:Just to record it here (I also posted on Barry's blog), a fix to the last problem in PPM that I mentioned, a couple of posts back, is this:
I was fooling around with the code and found that on those places where you create the repo radiobuttons (4 places), if you change <radiobutton> to <radiobutton active="true">, then the selected radiobutton is in sync with the displayed package list.
That is, it will be in sync upon invocation of PPM.
Oh, I also fixed it. I just came onto the forum to post it.

This is the latest PPM, with new goodies as described on my blog.

Attached:

James C

#75 Post by James C »

Quirky 140 live pfix=ram in an old AMD K6-2 box. Sound and correct screen resolution on boot......no network interface detected.Loaded the correct driver .... problem solved.

VIDEO REPORT: Quirky Puppy, version 140

Chip description:
oem: Cirrus Logic GD-546X VGA

Driver used by Xorg:
cirrus

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 16 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#

-Computer-
Processor : AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
Memory : 384MB (120MB used)
Operating System : Puppy Linux 0.14
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sun 05 Dec 2010 04:47:59 PM CST
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : CMI8738-SWIEC - C-Media CMI8738

BarryK
Puppy Master

#76 Post by BarryK »

Another PPM bug fixed.

PPM failed to download from one of the ibiblio.org mirror sites, reported unable to get size of file (ftp://ftp.lug.udel.edu).

The problem was in /usr/sbin/download_file.

Gunzip the attached file, make sure it is executable, place at /usr/sbin:
Attachments
download_file.gz
(2.57 KiB) Downloaded 673 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#77 Post by BarryK »

Another PPM bug fixed, thanks to rodin.s.

/usr/local/petget/pkg_chooser.sh attached. Gunzip and set execute flag.
Attachments
pkg_chooser.sh.gz
(4.23 KiB) Downloaded 692 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#78 Post by BarryK »

James C wrote:Quirky 140 live pfix=ram in an old AMD K6-2 box. Sound and correct screen resolution on boot......no network interface detected.Loaded the correct driver .... problem solved.
What driver did you have to load?

James C

#79 Post by James C »

BarryK wrote:
James C wrote:Quirky 140 live pfix=ram in an old AMD K6-2 box. Sound and correct screen resolution on boot......no network interface detected.Loaded the correct driver .... problem solved.
What driver did you have to load?
8139too

Common old Realtek nic. Dialog box said "no interface detected",loaded the module and onto the net.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#80 Post by BarryK »

aragon wrote:i've found that bug in insidous but i think it's woof-related so i'm posting it here:

xlock fails to run if $LANG is not en_US or fr_FR because the other language files are missing.

the fix is simple (i think)

/usr/local/apps/Xlock/AppRun
change line 28 from

. $APPDIR/locale/${LANGUAGE}.po 2> /dev/null
to

if [ -e $APPDIR/locale/${LANGUAGE}.po ];then
. $APPDIR/locale/${LANGUAGE}.po 2> /dev/null
fi
aragon