deleting previous saved sessions ON DVD?

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
cmbs

deleting previous saved sessions ON DVD?

#1 Post by cmbs »

Hi again.

It seems to me that each time I save a session, it's loaded next time I start up the Puppy. It takes longer as one after the next are loaded. Is there a way to delete previous sessions and just keep the most recent? I saw something about blacklisting, but really would prefer them totally removed to save space.

Also, how can I save a file to the dvd so that windows can read it too? Like, a txt file or something. I know there's space on the dvd. I can't seem to save any files to it and then be able to find them in windows.

Thanks. :)

edit:
Actually, I was just checking the properties on the dvd drive and even though it's a 4.7gb dvd, and supposedly only 112mb is being used, it's showing it's totally full. Why do you suppose that is?
Last edited by cmbs on Tue 30 Nov 2010, 06:22, edited 1 time in total.

looseSCREWorTWO
Location: Australia, 1999 Toshiba laptop, 512mb RAM, no HDD, 431 Retro & 421 Retro

#2 Post by looseSCREWorTWO »

I always save to HDD or USB stick, so I can't help you. It might be a good idea to rename your Post to:

saving sessions to DVD

then hopefully someone who knows about it will help you out
Last edited by looseSCREWorTWO on Tue 30 Nov 2010, 06:24, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

cmbs

#3 Post by cmbs »

looseSCREWorTWO wrote:I always save to HDD or USB stick, so I can't help you. It might be a good idea to rename your Post to:

saving sessions to DVD

then hopefully someone who knows about it will help you out
done. Thanks. :)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

cmbs wrote:...done. Thanks. :)
Uuuh, maybe not, but whatever.

I've been running Puppy from a multisession DVD and saving sessions on the DVD for several years now. I found a way to do what I think you want to do, which sounds to me like condensing all the saved sessions into one. I call it defragmenting a multisession disk.

All you have to do is boot your multisession disk, burn the same Puppy iso to a new disk (I always use Burniso2cd for this but Pburn works too), then, with the newly burned disk still in the burner, click the "Save" icon on the desktop.

You can even do this to the same multisession disk you're using now, if it's a rewritable disk. I did that a few times. I don't recommend it because if anything goes wrong you've just erased the disk what has all your saved stuff on it. :cry:

Try it with a rewritable CD or DVD; you will find that you have no questions. It's that easy. :D

Shep

Re: deleting previous saved sessions ON DVD?

#5 Post by Shep »

cmbs wrote: I saw something about blacklisting, but really would prefer them totally removed to save space.
If it is burnt to the DVD, then you can't regain the space. Once burnt, it's there for good, surely? (I don't think the concept of regaining space on a rewritable disc is entertained in puppy's workings, though I could be wrong.)
Also, how can I save a file to the dvd so that windows can read it too? Like, a txt file or something. I know there's space on the dvd.
"the" DVD? You mean the same bootable DVD as you are burning your personal session files to? An interesting idea. Although puppy was originally designed to [optionally] burn save files to the CD/DVD I get the impression that not many people use it that way nowadays, so probably few have thought of doing that.

I don't have an answer, I'm just trying to clarify your question. :oops:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: deleting previous saved sessions ON DVD?

#6 Post by Flash »

cmbs wrote:... Also, how can I save a file to the dvd so that windows can read it too? Like, a txt file or something. I know there's space on the dvd. I can't seem to save any files to it and then be able to find them in windows. :)
Windows will be able to see the files if you follow the directions given here and here. (Assuming it's a file format Windows recognizes.) Read the whole thread to see how it works.
edit:
Actually, I was just checking the properties on the dvd drive and even though it's a 4.7gb dvd, and supposedly only 112mb is being used, it's showing it's totally full. Why do you suppose that is?
How did you check the properties of the drive? I think ROX just shows the capacity of the disk but not how much is on it.

cmbs

#7 Post by cmbs »

Hi.

Shep:
Yes, I thought since the Linux was only using 112mb of the 4.7gb, I'd have lots of space to save files that could also be accessed later by windows. Plain old regular files. That's why I chose to use a dvd+rw. But when I checked the properties, even though it said the Linux was 112mb, it also said the total capacity was 112mb, so the whole dvd is used up. The total capacity before putting Linux on it was 4.7gb, so I don't understand how that works, but it is what it is.

Flash:
I checked the properties in Windows. Just right click on the drive and click Properties. Checking properties in Windows gives different info than checking properties in Puppy Linux. It's really very disorienting when you're so used to doing even the simplest things and now you can't figure them out!

Anyway, what you said is about what I had in mind to do. I opened Puppy Linux and installed what I wanted, and turned the volume down to mute (woof!woof!) and saved that. Then I created an iso file from it. Then I burned it onto a cd+r. I even used one of those small 210mb cd's. If I can't use the rest of the space, no point in wasting it. Right?

Only problem is going to be that once I'm more used to Puppy Linux, what I want for default may change and I'll have to use a new cd+r. Not that big of a deal.

Thanks both of you. :)

linuxsansdisquedur

#8 Post by linuxsansdisquedur »

dunno always in use (using pizzapup with original puppy2.14 inside 8) ) but boot option "pfix=<n>" (where <n> is the number of saved sessions to ignore for a multisession-CD) made it on puppy 2.
try'n'tell :wink:
le max avec le min

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

cmbs wrote:... Flash:
Anyway, what you said is about what I had in mind to do. I opened Puppy Linux and installed what I wanted, and turned the volume down to mute (woof!woof!) and saved that. Then I created an iso file from it. Then I burned it onto a cd+r. I even used one of those small 210mb cd's. If I can't use the rest of the space, no point in wasting it. Right?

Only problem is going to be that once I'm more used to Puppy Linux, what I want for default may change and I'll have to use a new cd+r. Not that big of a deal.

Thanks both of you. :)
You did it the hard way. You could set up a multisession CD-R whatever way you want, including installing programs, and save those settings and programs onto the multisession CD-R without having to make an iso. Then you can change your settings and they will stay changed as long as you saved them to the CD when you shut Puppy down.

cmbs

#10 Post by cmbs »

Flash wrote: You did it the hard way. You could set up a multisession CD-R whatever way you want, including installing programs, and save those settings and programs onto the multisession CD-R without having to make an iso. Then you can change your settings and they will stay changed as long as you saved them to the CD when you shut Puppy down.
I understand what you're saying, but I don't know how to make a multisession cd+r. I saw some tutorials and they showed to just check the button, but whatever software I was using didn't have such a button (or I didn't find it). There's no need to go downloading and learning new software when I can do what I did. It didn't take long at all. I will save the iso file I created and if/when I want to add more stuff and make a new default, I've got a head start.

Or we could just say I'm more comfortable with Windows so I did it in Windows. Things that are easy for you in Linux are currently difficult for me. I really just want to get it set up and then use it and learn it by using it without having to constantly mess with setup or longer and longer loading times.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

May we assume that you've somehow managed to burn a Puppy CD that boots? By somehow I mean it doesn't matter if you burned the CD (or DVD) in Windows or Linux, as long as it will boot into Puppy in a computer that has a CD or DVD burner. Use rewritable CDs or DVDs to experiment with if you can. Otherwise you may wind up making a stack of coasters. :)

If you can boot into Puppy in a computer that has a CD or DVD burner, then you have all you need to make a multisession CD or DVD. In Puppy, burn the same iso to a (rewritable if possible) CD or DVD, using Menu -> Multimedia -> Burniso2cd. That CD or DVD will be a multisession Puppy if you choose to save to it the first time you boot it and then shut down.

Shep

#12 Post by Shep »

cmbs, you are doing things a little differently to how most people now use Puppy linux. (Not that there is anything wrong with that.) Am I to understand that you don't want any of Puppy linux to be stored on your computer's hard drive? Neither the Puppy operating system, nor your session save files? You're happy to always put the Puppy DVD into the drive at boot time, in order to use Puppy linux, and you want everything that Puppy needs to be stored on that one DVD? Just thought I'd better clear this up.

I'll take your question about a DVD showing 112 MB capacity, when you know there are a few files and they use only 112 MB total. I'm guessing here, but if you have fixated the DVD after burning, then it will accept no more files so I reckon it may well display that it is full, regardless of how little of it's capacity has been used. But if you intend storing session files, then you would deliberately have not fixated the DVD after burning the Puppy iso to produce the live disc, because not fixating the DVD allows more files to be added at a later time.

So .... did you or did you not? :?

cmbs

#13 Post by cmbs »

OK.

Yes, I have made several Puppy Linux dvds that boot. I was having trouble with the internet connection and tried lucid 511, quickset 511, and an older one I had, 3.something. Plus the little 210mb cd+r.

I reused the same dvd+rw for all three versions of puppy linux, doing a complete erase between each. I have saved a few sessions on the dvd+rw which was part of my question beginning this thread in the first place. And used it to make a copy on the cd+r that had firefox installed and a few other tweaks.

And yes, it's showing full even though it's only 112mb on a 4.7gb disk. It's weird. Why don't you try and see what yours says? The 210mb cd+r is showing the same thing. Apparently puppy linux just hogs the whole disk. So there's no point using a dvd when a cd will work just as well and waste less space. Maybe all iso files hog the whole disk. I'm not sure.

I want to be able to work on the same files in windows as in linux. I've had some success with that, creating a txt file that I've modified and saved in both OSs. ONE copy of the file, modified and saved in both linux and windows. I can't figure out how to save something generated in linux to a different part of any of the other drives, but I did figure out that I can save it in the linux file system, open any other drive, and copy or move the file. So that's fine.

If I save things I'm doing (like writing txt files) in other places, I only need a working version of linux with the features I want and need. So once I get those features on a saved session, I can put it on a cd as my version of puppy linux. I don't need to keep saving sessions.

The files I save in the linux file system are not available to me in windows. I have to copy them to another part of a drive. If I could copy them to other parts of the very same disk, that'd be very handy for taking with. I wouldn't have to carry a disk for linux and a different disk for files I want to access in linux AND in windows.

edit:

Did I still not answer the question clearly?

I want no part of Puppy Linux operating system or saved session files on my hard drive. I want it all contained on a disk.

I want files I create (like txt files) to be saved where both windows and linux can access them, which means not in the linux file system.

linuxsansdisquedur

#14 Post by linuxsansdisquedur »

so use puppy live cd/dvd/rw or usb with pupsave on it (no linux trace on pc) and just save your files on your ntfs hd :wink:
le max avec le min

Shep

#15 Post by Shep »

linuxsansdisquedur wrote:so use puppy live cd/dvd/rw or usb with pupsave on it (no linux trace on pc) and just save your files on your ntfs hd :wink:
Yes, sounds suitable. OP will have to mount the windows HD before linux can save the text file to it. This might involve nothing more than clicking the HD icon. Try that, and see whether linux can see your windows files and that you can navigate through directories.

If you don't want to have linux writing to your HD, you could use a USB thumb drive and have windows and linux both write to it. Format it so that both op sys can read it. I think that means fat32 but you'd better read up and check (or just try and see).

cmbs

#16 Post by cmbs »

Shep wrote:
linuxsansdisquedur wrote:so use puppy live cd/dvd/rw or usb with pupsave on it (no linux trace on pc) and just save your files on your ntfs hd :wink:
Yes, sounds suitable. OP will have to mount the windows HD before linux can save the text file to it. This might involve nothing more than clicking the HD icon. Try that, and see whether linux can see your windows files and that you can navigate through directories.

If you don't want to have linux writing to your HD, you could use a USB thumb drive and have windows and linux both write to it. Format it so that both op sys can read it. I think that means fat32 but you'd better read up and check (or just try and see).
They can both read and write to a dvd and cd. That isn't the problem. The problem is that the iso file uses up the entire disk, no space is left over for anything else. I don't know if the iso file always uses up an entire disk or not, but it did on these I burned.

I can't burn an iso file to a thumb drive, or I don't know how. Everything I have seen only works on dvds or cds. If I did manage it, would there be any space left over? Don't know.

Also, even though my computer has an option to boot from a usb flash drive, I can't get it to do so. Spent hours yesterday trying. If I can get it to boot from the thumb drive, I can partition it and put linux on a part and have the rest for any other files I want. Yes, FAT32 will be the file system of choice for the shared partition.

Puppy Linux has a program that supposedly makes the flash drive look like a different type of drive to the computer (so it will load, and also to help Windows read it correctly), and supposedly will burn the iso to the thumb drive. I'm going to mess with that a little bit today.

linuxsansdisquedur

#17 Post by linuxsansdisquedur »

most puppy iso are about 100Mo :shock:
you have to use multissession burning to be able to use the left place on cd/dvd. :wink:
I 've used sometime unetbootin to convert an iso on usb stick :idea:
to boot on usb support you have to change boot option on bios or use the keys indicated on boot :arrow:
le max avec le min

cmbs

#18 Post by cmbs »

If anyone's interested, I figured out how to have a bootable Puppy Linux usb flash drive with a FAT32 partition that both Linux and Windows can access. So you can save your session files on the second partition, plus any other files, and access them with either OS. Also works with an SD card and card reader.

I put how to instructions here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 459#473459