Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 Bugs, Fixes, & Feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
PaulBx1

#121 Post by PaulBx1 »

My above problem with seamonkey is described in this page:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_in_use

:oops:

It dawned on me googling the error message would find something, and it did. I can't imagine how this snag can be avoided in remastering. When I supplied the profile in .mozilla, it worked again.

PaulBx1

#122 Post by PaulBx1 »

Going back to the old problem, I had remastered so there was nothing listed in the "installed packages" window of the package manager. I then installed lsof from the Ubuntu-lucid-main, and what showed up in the "installed packages" window? Why, "Seamonkey", of course! :(

I do have lsof though, just tried it out. Sometimes what I ask for gets installed, other times not.

I'm just wondering, if I want to uninstall lsof, what do I have to click on, to do that? Should I click on that Seamonkey entry, and hope it uninstalls lsof, and not Seamonkey? I guess that's why we backup pupsaves, to compensate for flaky package managers... :x

Reaperz

#123 Post by Reaperz »

*Never-mind, I figured it out.

Sorry for posting in wrong thread.

Joe Jasniewski

Connect cant see my wireless card; OK in 4.3.1

#124 Post by Joe Jasniewski »

Something changed between 4.3.1 and 5.1.1, in how the wireless cards are detected.

In 4.3.1, it detects and installs "orinoco_cs" right away and remains SOLID thereafter through multiple reboots.

In 5.1.1, it says "no network interfaces found". Even when I manually load the orinoco_cs driver and IF I get it to work, on next use of the system it's gone.

Can someone here say what changed between 4.3.1 and 5.1.1? Did someone do something to "speed things up" which renders my wireless on my system inop? Is there some file I can edit with some parameter I can change to slow things back down and get my wireless working the way it does in 4.3.1?

I'm not the only one with similar problems, apparently.

To whomever; please remember when you shave things down to get your fast boot / uptime on premium machines, folks using linux distros to save older hardware from the junkpile might suffer.

Thanks and best regards,

Joe

PaulBx1

#125 Post by PaulBx1 »

When you install something using PPM, the entry in the .jwmrc file ends up having a specification with something like icon="truecrypt" rather than icon="truecrypt.xpm". As a result, there is no icon in the menu. Add the ".xpm" and it appears...

camarokid201

#126 Post by camarokid201 »

Had a few problems with Lupu, really just wanted to try it out on both my 4.3.1 puppies.

First Computer: Compaq Presario 2100
2.4ghz P4
256mb ram
4.3.1 dual booting with windows XP

So i tried to just boot this from cd and it seemed to not even recognize it, I made sure that it downloaded and burned correctly as well, I even tried 2 other cds with 5.1.1 with different downloads and different burning programs. Never had a problem with previous puppies.

Second Computer: Old Custom Whitebox
1ghz Athlon Amd
256mb ram
4.3.1 dual booting with windows 98

I tried to run it from ram....black screen. Checked this forum and ran Puppy pfix=nox. Type xorgwizard twice and get to the wizard. I try to probe and it doesn't work so I type Xwin and I get black screen. So I reboot and get back to the wizard and try to load my driver, cirrus logic. Doesn't work, so then I try all the other drivers and yet still nothing. From here I've never seen anyone else have this problem.

Both are Full Installs.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Last edited by camarokid201 on Fri 05 Nov 2010, 00:44, edited 1 time in total.

lisek

#127 Post by lisek »

Thank YOU all involved in the Lucid project.

I have installed JAVA from the Quickpet but JAVA doesnt work for me in Firefox, so checked dependecies of the installed JAVA and recieved info about missing libjli.so.
I have full instalation of Lucid on hdd.

PsyBaba

Locale & IceWm

#128 Post by PsyBaba »

In Lighthouse Pup when I changed the locale also IceWm's language changed, but in Lucid this doesn't work? Is this a bug? What do I have to do to get it working? And what is the procedure to change IceWm's language manually? Thanks for your answers (and for the great Puppy release)!

jogreer

mplayer 1.0-rc4 uninstall crashed x

#129 Post by jogreer »

Hi. After I uninstalled mplayer 1.0-rc4, now I can't load X anymore. I've tried jwm icewm and lxde but only lxsession let's me see the mouse and a black background but no more, then it crashes. Did mplayer remove some critical library that X needs? How can I fix this?

8-bit

#130 Post by 8-bit »

I went to a Ubuntu site to get info on exactimage and migrated to the econvert page and saved it for reference since it had some examples.
This was using Seamonkey.
Later, I opened the saved page with Midori and was unable to scroll the page in a timely manner.
I noticed that the processor was maxed out and I had a hard time even exiting Midori.
I then opened the same saved page with Seamonkey and the procesor usage was minimal and scrolling worked correctly.
So does Midori have problems with some html files?

jogreer

Where does pupX save its information?

#131 Post by jogreer »

Hi. Where does pupX save its information? I can't make the pupX settings to stay after a reboot.

/Regards
Jonathan

I fixed my own problem - the settings were in my case saved in /root/.xinitrc and /root/.xset.sh

This could be the bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/563530

PaulBx1

#132 Post by PaulBx1 »

I have Puppy on a flash drive. When I boot that flash drive never shows up on the desktop icons. This is unlike the behavior in 4.3.1. I don't know if it is intentional.

IIRC if I boot pfix=ram but still have that flash drive in there, it still does not show up on the desktop. If I then pull it out and plug it in again, it does show up.

01micko

#133 Post by 01micko »

lisek wrote:I have installed JAVA from the Quickpet but JAVA doesnt work for me in Firefox, so checked dependecies of the installed JAVA and recieved info about missing libjli.so.
I have full instalation of Lucid on hdd.
Hello lisek, 2 options
1)update the package manager (PPM) and try a newer java, or try the one on the puppylinux.org wiki
2)go here and look for your missing lib.
Hth
PsyBaba wrote:In Lighthouse Pup when I changed the locale also IceWm's language changed, but in Lucid this doesn't work? Is this a bug? What do I have to do to get it working? And what is the procedure to change IceWm's language manually? Thanks for your answers (and for the great Puppy release)!
In PPM you will find an Icewm NLS package, that is the one you want, it's an add on that contains locales.
PaulBx1 wrote:I have Puppy on a flash drive. When I boot that flash drive never shows up on the desktop icons. This is unlike the behavior in 4.3.1. I don't know if it is intentional.
IIRC if I boot pfix=ram but still have that flash drive in there, it still does not show up on the desktop. If I then pull it out and plug it in again, it does show up.
I must have tried 5.1.1 on 2 dozen or more machines and never saw that Paul. (many of those with the same usb key installation). What filesystem is on the key? I usually use ext2. I know many prefer FAT for windows compatibility. Filesystem may not even be the problem. Some things have been changed in the init script since 431. If can you try another key, let us know if it still happens.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

emil

jre_1.6.0_22.pet - works for seamonky

#134 Post by emil »

Hi all,

i had also problems with the JRE from quickpet. It is definitly not working as expected. First it complained about this missing library libjli.so. I could run java from the commandline after this library was added, but my browser (seamonkey) was still not able to display java properly.

I was aware that the browser needs a symlink in his /usr/lib/seamonkey/... plugins directory, but I couldnt find the right library in the java package :( to create such a symlink. Anyway If I download java from quickpet I am not expecting to hunt for libaries and symlinks.

I ended up downloading the latest Java version from the sun homepage and installing this.

I made a pet package from this, but it is only working for seamonkey.
http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/e ... 6.0_22.pet
this could be used as base for a working JRE, although the symlinks for the other browsers (firefox, opera, midori?, google) should be added.

< Rant about very important features which are broken removed > ;-)

My christmas wish: slightly less new features and projects, slightly more testing and working packages for the main branch.

Well I don't want to sound to negative, thanks all for really great work :D
kind regards
Emil

emil

Sorry - found right pet package!

#135 Post by emil »

Right after completing my above post - of course - I found the right package, which should work. So sorry for my reaction. However is it possible that the working package is also symlinked or renamed, so that older versions of quickpet download the right package by default?

this would spare much hassles.
emil

gonkbag

#136 Post by gonkbag »

Hello
here's my experience of 5.1.1
first off all loaded fine and the first thing was to get touchpad tapping and scrolling working, tapping worked out of the box edge scrolling would not, then I thought I'd configure for my country (keyboard etc), so when I'd finished that scrolling worked tapping didn't, every time I ticked the box enable touchpad tapping, closed and reopened the mouse properties box, touchpad tapping tick in the box was gone.
All this became redundant after a couple of reboots as on boot up always get "kernel panic can't sync (something, sorry can't remember) tried 5.1.0 same kernel panic message, tried different memory stick, different machine, checked md5sum same evey time
Now happily back with 4.3.1 :D

oldroy

Oops!

#137 Post by oldroy »

Oops, I started a new topic (Bad Shutdown Recovery) that should have gone here. Full install accidental shutdown recovery apparently only works with EXt2, it just blew by on this ext3 formatted full install.

javascript:emoticon(':oops:')

ilanrab

Arguments erased during "panel item" copy

#138 Post by ilanrab »

Lucid Puppy 5.1 and 5.2 (241).
Dell Desktop
When an item, already displaying on the panel, is duplicated as a second copy on the panel, the Argument field's contents do not get copied to the new copy.
To test:
1. Enter some value into the Argument field of any of the items on a panel (after opening the item with the "Edit item" option.).
2. Drag that item, using your mouse, to an empty location on the panel, and drop it there.
3. Do an "Edit item" on the newly created icon.
4. Observe that the argument field is empty (should have had the value entered in "1", above.)

:?

ir

oldroy

#139 Post by oldroy »

I think I am getting the hang of it !@#$%^&*()+:?><
This is getting off topic.

bignono1

#140 Post by bignono1 »

Last night i installed xfce4 and every thing was good but i uninstalled xfce4 and went back on JWM ,so far so good ?
Bad news is that now i cant reboot ,shutoff or restart x server from the menu.
The only way to reboot or shutoff is by the terminal.

@@@@@@@
Full install lupu 511,firefox, on a PIII Toshiba Satellite laptop,RAM is 192MB.