Kernel panic after "Performing switch root..."

Booting, installing, newbie
jyore

#41 Post by jyore »

and the saga continues...feels like Star Wars all over again...

I'd like to take a step back just to verify and lay everything back out on the table for us all to see, because at this point there has been many ideas, that have been tried for a very long time, and things are getting repeated and misunderstood. The OP seems to be getting a little frustrated, which is understandable at this point (please correct if any of this is wrong):

====CURRENTLY====
1) It never boots to Puppy AT ALL
2) The OP can not remember EVER giving the <Save File> option on shutdown
3) The OP could not find a .2fs or .3fs file, but did find an .sfs file
4) The OP has not tried a bootable USB drive or a fresh DVD burn
5) The OP has confirmed the new hardware works in Windows
================

Ok, so now that that is done. Let me see what I can think up :P

For (1), I still believe this is some problem with the drive reading the Puppy disk, or at least that it is a bootable device. As I said before, if it is booting from the DVD, you will not see the Windows screen, the DVD drive's light will be on/flash, and the disk will continue to spin until everything has been loaded into RAM

For (2), This could be the root cause of the original issue. Suppose the last time you maybe did click the save file and it saved to a partition. When Puppy loaded the next time, the drives or partitions were not set up the same (maybe a USB stick or some other media device was removed or in a different place) and it could not find the sfs file. Puppy then would go into Kernel Panic with failure to switch root error...

For (3), Perhaps the sfs file was saved as sfs instead of 2fs or 3fs?

For (4), Is there a specific reason preventing you from trying a new DVD or a USB? At this point, it seems like a good sanity check to say the least.

Shep

Re: Answering Shep's last post

#42 Post by Shep »

Antipodal wrote:I’ve searched for .sfs files in my hard disk and found that the only file with that ending is PUP_412.SFS
Use windows to delete it. It is serving no purpose. It could be the problem, and in any case, will be automatically recreated when needed.
each time I shifted from XP to Puppy I had to choose the mouse I would use, I’m absolutely sure I had to choose the keyboard layout, between Xorg and Xvesa, and the video mode. I’m also absolutely sure that each time I shifted from XP to Puppy I had to use the Internet Connection Wizard until
I reckon you deserve some sort of award! Something like the PATIENT PUPPY Award for PERSISTENCE! 8)

Antipodal

Trying to keep my word

#43 Post by Antipodal »

Though I would like to, I'm not sure I will be able to download correctly a version of puppy and burn it to a DVD using XP.

Remember that the Live DVD that I was using until the problem emerged, had a version of Puppy that had been selected and downloaded by a computer literate person with whom I have lost contact
At that time I was told I had to check the download integrity before burning which I never did because I didn't know what would happen if I downloaded md5sum.exe
So I burned the ISO file to the DVD without checking it and I took some days browsing the Internet and trying to find out what a Puppy Live DVD was and what could happen if I used it.
I finally decided to use it without checking it and fortunately it worked without problems from March to December 2009.
Now, that I haven't the assistance of that computer literate person, I don't know which is the best version for me to choose.
I've seen that in some places that sponsor Linux, there are tests to help those who are interested in choosing which version of Linux best fits their characteristics, but I have not found something similar for the Puppy versions in the Puppy sites. By the way, somebody should pick up this idea and post it in http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=32924.

Just to practice, while I'm writing this I'm downloading to a folder I have created on XP's desk, the Download Version 5.1.1. from ibiblio.org (130 MB) but I can't find a good guide about how to use md5sum.exe with it.
These are the moments when I think there should be a website whose goal were to teach people to use Mi____ft's tools to break free from Mi____ft
I've searched for such a place but I'm not sure if I’ve found it.
Is there any reader who can help with these things?

The download of lupu-511.iso file has ended.

Following Shep’s advice I have deleted PUP_412.SFS together with BOOT.CAT, BOOT.MSG, INITRD.GZ, ISOLINUX.BIN, ISOLINUX.CFG and VMLINUZ from XP’s "Puppy Installation CD files" folder.

What do you think my next move should be ?

Best regards

Postscript for jyore: I have never used a USB device as a booting resource.

Shep

Re: Trying to keep my word

#44 Post by Shep »

Antipodal wrote:Now, that I haven't the assistance of that computer literate person, I don't know which is the best version for me to choose.
Generally, there isn't a best version for you, or for anyone. There isn't one best version. There are so many different puppies that most people's need can be met by any of a handful of puppies or versions of puppy. Even if there were right now a version that was best for your needs, the situation may change next week. :shock: Basically, any version that meets your current needs is the best for you currently. (It could be that in a few weeks you may discover a bug or limitation which really annoys you, in which case, it may be time to go for something different/better, or time to install an update of specific software.)

That said, I think you should just pick any popular puppy which has the browser that you like, and if it works on your PC settle for that Puppy for the time being. When you use it as a LIVE DVD it doesn't leave any files on your HDD unless you give it permission to, so if downloads are not costly for you, you can burn new versions of puppy and trial them to your hearts content. I have the feeling that your needs are not particularly demanding, given that you were content with the one version of puppy for a whole year. :P :P Though one crucial consideration--how do you access the internet? Some won't do dial-up, some won't do all wireless, etc.

So now you have 2 puppies, each as a live DVD. *** Let's assume for the time being that there are no errors, either in the downloading or in the burning. (We can verify this later.)

I believe we are still waiting to hear that you have verified the boot sequence is set to first try the optical drive: DVD ... HDD, etc.

Either check that, or insert your new Lupu DVD into the drive, reboot, and see what happens. You can go the same route as you did each time for your earlier Puppy whereby you hit <F2> and type: puppy pfix=ram so that it knows to run entirely from the DVD. But you will be on familiar ground.

*** EDIT Oops, I think I overlooked a small step here. :oops: You possibly don't know how to burn an iso file to a DVD to create a bootable disk? Using XP nobody knows how, as I think XP lacks the software. Someone else might jump in here and point to a thread (one of dozens, I'm sure) where this is discussed in this forum, but you'll need to download a small program to allow XP to do this. Maybe you already have something installed from when you burnt your first Puppy DVD? I believe I used nero on XP to burn my first Puppy, but any software that will burn an iso file should do the job. A search on google ("burn iso in XP") turns up lots, here's one at random: http://www.techhead.co.uk/how-to-burn-d ... a-for-free

Also, to use md5sum I just go to the commandline and type: md5sum file.iso and it comes up with a number. If that number checks with the one on the site from where you downloaded the file, then its integrity is okay. In linux, to check the DVD, I type: md5sum /dev/dvd

HTH

Shep

#45 Post by Shep »

Here's a pointer to burning a Puppy iso I grabbed from Flash's list of useful links: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... =5334#5334

Antipodal

Updating the readers (part 1)

#46 Post by Antipodal »

I downloaded md5sum.exe to the same folder where I had Lupo511.iso

I worked hard trying to check the iso with it but couldn't find in my screen many of the clues that appeared in the guides I was using to do it.

So, I decided to burn 3 CDs (not DVDs) without the md5sum test.

After burning I left the last one in the drive.

I restarted the computer.

There were no signs of Windows XP and the Puppy's image appeared.

I hadn't time to press the F2 key and while Puppy was loading the kernel, to RAM the computer was powered off.

I tried again, I had time to press F2 and choose "puppy pfix=ram" and I reached Puppy's desk!! :lol: .

I thought I was saved.

Now I had to choose the Internet connection.

I had two options. I remember that one of them was labelled with the word "Etho" and the other one with the word "Windows".

Fearing getting caught by M$ again, I clicked "Etho" and the computer was immediately powered off. :cry:

Since then, I have tried many times to boot from the same Puppy Lupo CD using (and not using) “puppy pfix=ram
Last edited by Antipodal on Sat 04 Dec 2010, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.

Antipodal

Updating the readers (part 2)

#47 Post by Antipodal »

As I have explained in previous posts on this thread (Sun 07 Mar 2010 17:08 and Thu 25 Nov 2010 14:07) in the period extending from the first days of February 2010 to the first days of October, with the DVD in the drive, when I switched on the computer, Puppy's screen didn't appear, the system booted smoothly into XP and I only had the problems that everybody has using XP.

Since the first days of October 2010 when I changed my LiteOn DVD drive for a new Samsung DVD drive, things have changed and though I've described what has happened with Puppy I haven't told you what has happened with XP.

That is because at first I thought they were irrelevant coincidences that were distorted by my imagination. But because as time passes and the more I insist in booting with Puppy the more bizarre are the symptoms I feel the need of describing what has been happening.

I will do that in my next post because the description is rather complex and I must now meet some postponed obligations.

I apologize.

Regards

jyore

#48 Post by jyore »

Well, you booted into puppy this time soooooooo...WE ARE MAKING PROGRESS!!!! :D :D :D

eth0 would be the correct interface for a wired Ethernet connection...I am unsure why it crashed when you tried to configure the interface...

when you boot now, you say it fails when loading the image to RAM...can you post the error message it gives when it fails?

Antipodal

CONNECTED THROUGH LUCID PUPPY & MIDORI 0.2.2!!!!!!

#49 Post by Antipodal »

I REALLY DON'T KNOW HOW I DID IT!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
THANK YOU ALL FOR BEING THERE!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AND FOR YOUR HELP!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shep

#50 Post by Shep »

Antipodal wrote:I hadn't time to press the F2 key and while Puppy was loading the kernel, to RAM the computer was powered off.
To deal with unreliable booting, you will need others to give advice, as it's not something I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. My only suggestion is that you look back at your own post here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 6&start=39 and try the acpi=off idea. During boot-up, press <F2> and type: puppy acpi=off pfix=ram

Other than that, I'm out of ideas. But at least you have shown the live CD is a practicable proposition, even if it was a fluke. :)

Not all puppies are compatible with all hardware. It could turn out that you need to try a different puppy. If stuck for help, maybe try puppy Squeeze next. I think its known as Dpup 009 but there may be a newer version out. I'm not specifically recommending it for you, as I don't know enough about it, but I like the Dpup family. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=990

But now try your old Pup431 live DVD and see whether it's behaving any better.

If you successfully boot into puppy, you can use puppy to check the md5sum of any file or DVD.
MENU >UTILITY >RXVT TERMINAL and type on the command line as I described earlier.

obxjerry

#51 Post by obxjerry »

I may have a different prospective that may help in this case. As my signature says, "It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others". I have a 100 cd spindle of blanks. They were cheap when I bought them and I've had them for years. I've burned quite a few into Linux live cds. They work for awhile. They work in some drives but not others. They work some times and not others and occasionally will start to load but then shut the computer down. I usually grab another cd I've burned and go on. Sometimes, if I can find a Sharpie, I'll write coaster on one that's bad. If I use better cds I have much better reliability.

For years all I did with cds was burn music to them. That's a good use for cheap cds. When I started burning bootable cds my standards changed. I see a lot of bad cds. That's what this looks like to me.

Just in case someone remembers the problems I was having in March with 3 computers, this was NOT the problem then.
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup

I'd rather be sailing

jyore

Re: CONNECTED THROUGH LUCID PUPPY & MIDORI 0.2.2!!!!!!

#52 Post by jyore »

Antipodal wrote:I REALLY DON'T KNOW HOW I DID IT!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
THANK YOU ALL FOR BEING THERE!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AND FOR YOUR HELP!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Awesome!!! Glad you finally are back up and running!!! That was certainly an interesting ordeal. Hope it is smooth sailing for you from now on.

Antipodal

Thanking Shep, obxjerry & jyore...

#53 Post by Antipodal »

Thank you for your support and comments, Shep,obxjerry & jyore!! :)

Shep’s right. I’m dealing with unreliable bootings. :?

After a planned shutdown I tried booting with puppy acpi=off pfix=ram but I ended in an unplanned shutdown approximately when I was going by the “switch root to the layered file system

Ruals

#54 Post by Ruals »

Hi!

I don`t think your problems is neither the cd or cd-rom.
It may be bad sectors on your hard disk or something like that.
Try to wipe out your hard disk and restart without the hard disk connected. If that does not help, try the same with the RAM chips.

Antipodal

Thank you for your time, Ruals

#55 Post by Antipodal »

Hi Ruals!
you wrote: It may be bad sectors on your hard disk
How can that happen if I'm using puppy pfix=ram while booting and the 'puter shuts down while the screen shows
waiting for modules complete loading
to RAM :?: :!:
you also wrote: Try to wipe out your hard disk...
What do you mean by that :?:

Shep

#56 Post by Shep »

Ruals wrote:Try to wipe out your hard disk
I doubt that OP will consider trying this. :shock: :shock:

I have wondered about RAM--despite no documented problems with XP. (Though, now you mention it, OP has hinted darkly at something odd with XP ...... )

There is no reason why he shouldn't reseat the chips though. As he assembled it himself, he should feel comfortable pulling out each RAM module and pushing it back in. Blow any dust from the sockets before reinserting module. That has cured many a boot or runtime problem, and is easy to try.

Good suggestion.

Shep

Re: Thanking Shep, obxjerry & jyore...

#57 Post by Shep »

Antipodal wrote:Removing the power supply and the CMOS/BIOS battery during all night and using F2 / puppy pfix=ram is what has worked better until now. :!:
That would return bios settings to factory default, though I can't see that that would offer any help here.

Ruals

#58 Post by Ruals »

With "wipe-out" I mean physically disconnect the hard disk.
I got a laptop from a friend with exactly the same problems, and the same error message.
It was impossible to start the live CD with this computer.
I took out the hard drive, and then it started immediately.
Although everything is loaded to ram, it will be read during startup from the hard disk.
I guess everyone has noticed that on the desktop are icons that show your drives.
This can not puppy know anything about, if not reading info from the drives.
Do not claim that this is the solution for you, but worth a try.
If nothing else than for the elimination.

Shep

Re: Updating the readers (part 2)

#59 Post by Shep »

Antipodal wrote:when I changed my LiteOn DVD drive for a new Samsung DVD drive, things have changed and though I've described what has happened with Puppy I haven't told you what has happened with XP.
Please, do tell. 8)

Antipodal

Re: Updating the readers (part 2)

#60 Post by Antipodal »

Hi Shep!!!
you wrote: Please, do tell. 8)
I was about to do that when a new problem appeared.
If you want to know the details you can see this:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62823
As soon as I have solved this new problem I'll tell you what was happening with XP.
Regards