Puppy PC Not Visible to Network

Using applications, configuring, problems
jimbo

Puppy PC Not Visible to Network

#1 Post by jimbo »

Well, one problem after another. I have Puppy on a network with a couple of Windows PCs, a print server, a D-link router and a cable mode. All PCs including Puppy can log on to the Internet with no problems. All PCs including Puppy can log on to the router setup screens. All PCs including Puppy can log on to the print server setup screens. All PCs including Puppy can use the printer. All PCs including Puppy "see" a network named JimCo. Puppy can "see" the other PCs on the JimCo network and access files in the shared folders on those PCs. But, the Windows PCs do not "see" the puppy PC. If fact, Puppy does not even "see" himself in the JimCo network.

Any ideas on what I need to setup/configure to get Puppy visible on the network?

Thanks for any help, jimbo

Jester626

#2 Post by Jester626 »

OK, I don't know if I am down the right path or not but it seems logical. Before I put out my thought I want to also bring up that I have not been able to complete this since I have been unable to figure out how to restart the SAMBA server. On the full blown distros of Linux, the samba server is typically located in

/etc/rc.d/init.d/samba
which would allow me to do a /etc/rc.d/init.d/samba restart

I am unable to find the samba service on puppy so I can't verify if what I am about to tell you is 100% correct.

But from what I can tell you have to first set puppy up on the network itself. All of this is done through the Gtksamba config console which is located under the setup option from "Start". In there you would set up the workgroup name, the machine name, etc.

If someone else (i.e. Barry) could tell me where/how to restart samba on puppy I could probably come up with a resolution for this area.

Jess

Jester626

#3 Post by Jester626 »

OK as a followup yet not a resolution, I found that in the samba configurator under options there is a selection "restart samba" which is what I needed, however when I click that I get a Warning box that says "Command returned non-zero status"

I know that this message has to do with something not exiting properly but I have not been able to nail it down yet.

Also under the options tab is "Run testparm" Which I know checks to see if the samba parameters are correct. When I run this check on puppy, it gives me a blank report screen (Don't know if the "no news is good news" philosophy applies here or if I should be seeing something regardless/

Also under the options tab is a Run smbstatus, here again when I click on that I get a blank reports screen.

I'm trying to get this issue resolved, any input would be appreciated

Jess

flopsymopsy

#4 Post by flopsymopsy »

Not sure Jimbo but I thought Puppy did not include the server side of samba.

jimbo

#5 Post by jimbo »

If so, I guess that means the Windows PCs won't be able to "see" the Puppy box?

Is there a way to install the samba server? I would need a step by step because I have found installing anything to a Linux system to be extremely difficult.

Thanks for any help, jimbo
Not sure Jimbo but I thought Puppy did not include the server side of samba.