Quirky 1.4 bug reports and feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
Sage

#81 Post by Sage »

8139too

Common old Realtek nic. Dialog box said "no interface detected",loaded the module and onto the net.
If you check the records, you'll see that I reported exactly that a couple of months ago.
Of course, 8139too NIC also goes by several other proprietary handles - there's an awful lot about.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#82 Post by BarryK »

Sage wrote:
8139too

Common old Realtek nic. Dialog box said "no interface detected",loaded the module and onto the net.
If you check the records, you'll see that I reported exactly that a couple of months ago.
Of course, 8139too NIC also goes by several other proprietary handles - there's an awful lot about.
Ok, I can put in fixes.

Would you guys run this in a terminal:

# lspci -nn -m

...I only need the part that identifies the NIC.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

James C

#83 Post by James C »

BarryK wrote:
Sage wrote:
8139too

Ok, I can put in fixes.

# lspci -nn -m

Let's try this......

00:0b.0 "Ethernet controller [0200]" "Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. [10ec]" "RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ [8139]" -r10 "Allied Telesyn International [1259]" "Device [c10f]"
TL-8139/8139C/8139C+ [8139]" -r10 "Allied Telesyn International [1259]" "Device [c10f]"
[c10f]"

James C

#84 Post by James C »

Took the screenshot, no reason to waste it......
Attachments
network wizard.png
(22.96 KiB) Downloaded 1497 times

eps

pppoe solved

#85 Post by eps »

thanks for your advice 8139too realtek
Now Q140 and inpu001 works ok!!
thanks again
eps

CHLee

#86 Post by CHLee »

Hi,
1. My 8139 NIC have problem too. I checked that it loaded the 8139cp module. In dmesg, it said no 8139cp NIC card found and suggested me to use 8139too.
After rmmod 8139cp module and modprobe 8139too, the network interface found and I could go Internet now.
# lspci -nn -m
01:05.0 "Ethernet controller [0200]" "Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. [10ec]" "RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ [8139]" -r10 "Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. [10ec]" "RT8139 [8139]"

2. Mplayer could not play the file that have space character in file name. To fix it, need add "" in the line 20 of the mplayershell (/usr/bin/mplayershell), like this:
old:
if [ $1 ];then
new:
if [ "$1" ];then

Best regards,
ChiHang Lee
Last edited by CHLee on Tue 07 Dec 2010, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#87 Post by Sage »

Glad to see James & the crew were able to step up because having a dose of Sod's Law here - can't find one when I need it. Seem to remember HP used to fit these and that some might've signed on as Tulip? But then, memory isn't what it used to be...

MinHundHettePerro

#88 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Hello :)!

Never had any problem with detection of my NIC before, just clicking eth0 > Auto dhcp and on-line I go :).
This time I had to go the route of Network Wizard > More > Autoprobe >>> Success!

Code: Select all

# lspci |grep Eth
01:0d.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
# lsmod|grep 8139
8139too                21840  0 
8139cp                 19148  0 
mii                     5100  2 8139too,8139cp
Cheers :)/
MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

PaulBx1

#89 Post by PaulBx1 »

More PPM oddities.

1) I noted on Barry's blog that I'm getting results in a package search even if I have a repo selected that should return no results. I have figured this out. findnames.sh does not search only the selected repo; it searches all active repos. Not only that; within the search loop it leaves /tmp/petget_filterversion pointing at a repo other than the one that is selected.

There is one other place that writes directly to /tmp/petget_filterversion (rather than going through /tmp/filterversion.sh, which I think is innocent), and that is within pkgchooser.sh. I don't know if that one is OK or not.

I think findnames.sh should only search within the selected repo. Otherwise, if several things are found, you have no idea which repo they are in. The way it is now, they appear to be in all the repos, because whatever repo you have selected, you get the same search results.

2) I am using this in Lupu511. I am guessing, because I am using these large repos, I should have the alphabetic radiobuttons displayed. At least that's what the code says, that I can tell. But I don't see them. I haven't chased this one down yet.

3) In pkg_chooser.sh, it almost looks like the file /tmp/filterversion.sh is used (in the radiobuttons) before it has been created. Just my impression, could be wrong on this...

BarryK
Puppy Master

#90 Post by BarryK »

James C wrote:
BarryK wrote:
Sage wrote: If you check the records, you'll see that I reported exactly that a couple of months ago.
Ok, I can put in fixes.

# lspci -nn -m

Let's try this......

00:0b.0 "Ethernet controller [0200]" "Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. [10ec]" "RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ [8139]" -r10 "Allied Telesyn International [1259]" "Device [c10f]"
TL-8139/8139C/8139C+ [8139]" -r10 "Allied Telesyn International [1259]" "Device [c10f]"
[c10f]"
Ah, ok. I will show you how to find out more about this...

If you type this:

# modinfo 8139too
...you will see an "alias" line that looks like the correct one for your card. Now do this, inserting that alias value:

# modprobe --show-depends pci:v000010ECd00008139sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.31.14/kernel/drivers/net/mii.ko 
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.31.14/kernel/drivers/net/8139too.ko 
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.31.14/kernel/drivers/net/8139cp.ko 
...Puppy will choose the last one on the list. If you type 'lsmod' in a terminal, you will probably confirm that 8139cp loaded. This is known to be a crappy module.

There are various ways to fix this. I have put a permanent fix into Woof (actually, only in my zzz pkg for now). In /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG, add entry as shown:

#PREFLIST: sometimes there are two hits, that is, two modules match the same
#'modalias' (that is, they are both claiming the same hardware). In such a case,
#here we can specify a preference. Each entry here is of the form
#'module1:module2' where module2 is the preferred choice.
#note, list needs a space char at beginning and at end.
#w471 removed: ath5k:ath_pci martian_dev:ltserial r8169:r8101
PREFLIST=' 8139cp:8139too rtl8180:r8180 rtl8187:r8187 rt2500usb:rt73usb orinoco_nortel:hostap_plx orinoco_plx:hostap_plx orinoco_tmd:hostap_plx orinoco_pci:hostap_pci bcm43xx:ssb prism54:p54pci tulip:dmfe option:hso hcfpcihw:hsfpcibasic2 dgcusbdcp:cdc_acm slamr:snd_intel8x0m '
...you can try this for yourself in Wary or Quirky.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#91 Post by BarryK »

PaulBx1 wrote:More PPM oddities.

1) I noted on Barry's blog that I'm getting results in a package search even if I have a repo selected that should return no results. I have figured this out. findnames.sh does not search only the selected repo; it searches all active repos. Not only that; within the search loop it leaves /tmp/petget_filterversion pointing at a repo other than the one that is selected.

There is one other place that writes directly to /tmp/petget_filterversion (rather than going through /tmp/filterversion.sh, which I think is innocent), and that is within pkgchooser.sh. I don't know if that one is OK or not.

I think findnames.sh should only search within the selected repo. Otherwise, if several things are found, you have no idea which repo they are in. The way it is now, they appear to be in all the repos, because whatever repo you have selected, you get the same search results.

2) I am using this in Lupu511. I am guessing, because I am using these large repos, I should have the alphabetic radiobuttons displayed. At least that's what the code says, that I can tell. But I don't see them. I haven't chased this one down yet.

3) In pkg_chooser.sh, it almost looks like the file /tmp/filterversion.sh is used (in the radiobuttons) before it has been created. Just my impression, could be wrong on this...
I just checked, the search in PPM only searches currently-selected repo. Yep, works as expected. I tested by searching for "abiword".

Note, I have posted some bugfixes for PPM since Quirky 1.4 was released. That might make a difference.

CHLee

#92 Post by CHLee »

[quote="BarryK"]

Ah, ok. I will show you how to find out more about this...

If you type this:

[code]# modinfo 8139too[/code]

...you will see an "alias" line that looks like the correct one for your card. Now do this, inserting that alias value:

[code]# modprobe --show-depends pci:v000010ECd00008139sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.31.14/kernel/drivers/net/8139too.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.31.14/kernel/drivers/net/8139cp.ko [/code]

...Puppy will choose the last one on the list. If you type 'lsmod' in a terminal, you will probably confirm that 8139cp loaded. This is known to be a crappy module.

There are various ways to fix this. I have put a permanent fix into Woof (actually, only in my zzz pkg for now). In /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG, add entry as shown:

[code]#PREFLIST: sometimes there are two hits, that is, two modules match the same
#'modalias' (that is, they are both claiming the same hardware). In such a case,
#here we can specify a preference. Each entry here is of the form
#'module1:module2' where module2 is the preferred choice.
#note, list needs a space char at beginning and at end.
#w471 removed: ath5k:ath_pci martian_dev:ltserial r8169:r8101
PREFLIST=' 8139cp:8139too rtl8180:r8180 rtl8187:r8187 rt2500usb:rt73usb orinoco_nortel:hostap_plx orinoco_plx:hostap_plx orinoco_tmd:hostap_plx orinoco_pci:hostap_pci bcm43xx:ssb prism54:p54pci tulip:dmfe option:hso hcfpcihw:hsfpcibasic2 dgcusbdcp:cdc_acm slamr:snd_intel8x0m '[/code]

...you can try this for yourself in Wary or Quirky.[/quote]

Barry,
Thank for you helping. I made a woof build base on the Quirky1.4 yesterday, I added the 8139cp:8139too in the PREFLIST of the /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG. ( First in rootfs-skeleton,but wrong. Second in zzz pkg, this time OK.)
When first boot, I don't know why the 8139cp module still loaded. Then I saved a save file and second boot, this time the 8139too loaded, the network OK. I double checked with the BootManager, my PREFLIST was right.
Are there some different between first boot and second boot (the MODULESCONFIG handling)?

Thank you very much.
C.H. Lee

PaulBx1

#93 Post by PaulBx1 »

I just checked, the search in PPM only searches currently-selected repo. Yep, works as expected. I tested by searching for "abiword".
I searched abiword too. It was found in every repo, even those that do not have it such as ubuntu-lucid-main.

I'm pretty sure I have the latest findnames.sh. It shows a modify time of 30 Nov, and a change/access time of 6 Dec. I'm never quite sure what the difference is between "change" and "modify" though. (I'm also assuming this PPM code works in Lupu 511 which is what I'm running.) Here is the code in question:

#!/bin/sh
#(c) Copyright Barry Kauler 2009, puppylinux.com
#2009 Lesser GPL licence v2 (http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/lgpl.html).
#called from /usr/local/petget/pkg_chooser.sh
#  ENTRY1 is a string, to search for a package.
#101129 checkboxes for show EXE DEV DOC NLS. fixed some search bugs.

. /etc/DISTRO_SPECS #has DISTRO_BINARY_COMPAT, DISTRO_COMPAT_VERSION
. /root/.packages/DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS #has PKGS_SPECS_TABLE.
. /root/.packages/DISTRO_PET_REPOS #has PET_REPOS, PACKAGELISTS_PET_ORDER

entryPATTERN='^'"`echo -n "$ENTRY1" | sed -e 's%\\-%\\\\-%g' -e 's%\\.%\\\\.%g' -e 's%\\*%.*%g'`"

CURRENTREPO="`cat /tmp/petget_filterversion`" #search here first.
REPOLIST="${CURRENTREPO} `cat /tmp/petget_active_repo_list | grep -v "$CURRENTREPO" | tr '\n' ' '`"

FNDIT=no
for ONEREPO in $REPOLIST
do
 FNDENTRIES="`cat /root/.packages/Packages-${ONEREPO} | grep -i "$entryPATTERN"`"
 if [ "$FNDENTRIES" != "" ];then
  FIRSTCHAR="`echo "$FNDENTRIES" | cut -c 1 | tr '\n' ' ' | sed -e 's% %%g'`"
  #write these just in case needed...
  ALPHAPRE="`cat /tmp/petget_pkg_first_char`"
  #if [ "$ALPHAPRE" != "ALL" ];then
  # echo "$FIRSTCHAR" > /tmp/petget_pkg_first_char
  #fi
  #echo "ALL" > /tmp/petget_filtercategory
  echo "$ONEREPO" > /tmp/petget_filterversion #ex: slackware-12.2-official
  #this is read when update TREE1 in pkg_chooser.sh...
  echo "$FNDENTRIES" | cut -f 1,10 -d '|' > /tmp/filterpkgs.results
  FNDIT=yes
  break
 fi
done
Note the for loop where the search is done through every repo in the variable REPOLIST. REPOLIST holds every active repo.

At least, it looks like it is searching through every repo, to me. It does break out of the loop the first time it finds something in a repo, but it's not confining itself to the selected repo. It makes it look like every repo has the same searched packages in it, because no matter which repo you select, you always get the same results.

Note also that CURRENTREPO depends on what is in petget_filterversion, but petget_filterversion is modified in the loop. So next time the search happens...

shinobar

Save file on a network drive/partition

#94 Post by shinobar »

@Barry
See the topic on a bug in rc.shutdown:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62804
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#95 Post by BarryK »

CHLee wrote:Barry,
Thank for you helping. I made a woof build base on the Quirky1.4 yesterday, I added the 8139cp:8139too in the PREFLIST of the /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG. ( First in rootfs-skeleton,but wrong. Second in zzz pkg, this time OK.)
When first boot, I don't know why the 8139cp module still loaded. Then I saved a save file and second boot, this time the 8139too loaded, the network OK. I double checked with the BootManager, my PREFLIST was right.
Are there some different between first boot and second boot (the MODULESCONFIG handling)?

Thank you very much.
C.H. Lee
I don't know. Anyway, this is an area where I have been making many changes, try my next Wary.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Save file on a network drive/partition

#96 Post by BarryK »

shinobar wrote:@Barry
See the topic on a bug in rc.shutdown:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62804
shinobar,
Thanks, I have fixed this in Woof.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Save file on a network drive/partition

#97 Post by BarryK »

duplicate post

marquitico

#98 Post by marquitico »

No sound with a Riptide Rockwell audio controller. Doing lspci and lsmod do not show anything significantly different from doing same on other Linuxes on this hardware: snd-riptide is correctly loaded and dependencies fulfilled, and the audio controller is located. Adding the riptide.hex file to /lib/firmware produces no effect. Alsa wizard repeatedly reports "no PnP or PCI cards". Not any kind of expert, so don't know what else to try. :?

But sound works fine in Quirky 1.2 Retro.

PaulBx1

#99 Post by PaulBx1 »

In the bit of code I mentioned above, in findnames.sh, I changed

for ONEREPO in $REPOLIST 
to

for ONEREPO in $CURRENTREPO
(and also commented out the write to /tmp/petget_filterversion). Now the search works properly, only looking within the selected repo. Of course the whole for loop probably should be removed.

If this is done you might also think about putting "Within selected repo" above the find box. Or "In chosen repo" if you needed it shorter.

There might be a way to keep the search more global as you originally intended. You could first search in the selected repo and display results, then search the other active repos and if anything is found, have a popup appear saying something like "Results were (also) found in these repos:" however if you do that you need to somehow take care of the case where nothing is found in the selected repo. Seems kinda messy...

gcmartin

BarryK HELP

#100 Post by gcmartin »

Barry Help! Please.
I am trying to get a PET to run and don't understand what's occurring. I sent a PM to you.