one dog alone...

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
oui

one dog alone...

#1 Post by oui »

bonjour

searching for typs how to make puppy more international or to create a puppy clone in other language like chinese friend did make in the last time, I did find a message of a dog in a french forum (and ask him to help me).

and hours and days later I did find more messages from this young lady in the same forum and an internet site from her!

alisou has her own site and her own French linux distro! yes

the distro with the dog paw as main emblem :wink:

a dog alone with only a little French canadian community.

but her basic distribution is not Puppy but Slax. as I am also Slax user, I find it better as nothing but I would be more happy if Puppy would be present in other languages!

but I think it is a chaotic matter without coordination.

the puppy forum community did refuse to handle. right. i did unterstand that and work conform to this decision, especially I did begin to explain the english version of puppy in other languages in the wiki. days of work yet... but my conviction is, that it is the bad way. the really only one right position is to internationalize puppy (or slax)

puppy is in my opinion an optimal distribution. but the coordination of the efforts is miserable

it is a chaos

to much different sites, url's, download mirrors with different contents etc, information scripts, and now versions.

it is possible that really English speaking people don't have the same problems, for example because they can search more effectiv, find directly the right terminologie by searching, can use fast and effectiv long HOWTO's in English, can read faster through the forum, never confuse in the comprehension of the system and of it's documentation etc.

alisou did realize different versions in French. the first wasn't slackware but debian based. she did change after the first version

she explains in her French doc that her system runs entierely in RAM like Puppy but isn't Puppy based but slax based (I did never read the same detail about slax itself). it would signify that the difference between her French Alixe and the English Puppy is very very little

more: see yourself at http://alixe.org (don't shock seeing the dog paw!)

I am astonish to constate that a lot of people work as directly competitors instead to coordinate her efforts and try to colaborate toghether and reinvente always the wheel...

perhaps is the creation of a new distro mainly really a new form of one-man-sport?

salut

oui

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I doubt that anyone thinks Puppy should only be available in English or any other language. It's just that Puppy has evolved so rapidly that much of the work of translating it into another language would have had to be repeated several times this year alone.

Never having built an OS from scratch myself, I can only guess that simply making Puppy reliable and useful is a full time job. Perhaps when Barry has developed Puppy to the point it will not change for at least a year, then it will be time to begin adapting it to other languages.

There is also the inevitable problem of support. Each language would require a support forum with moderators, etc., to answer questions from beginners.

Considering these things, don't you think you are asking for more than is reasonable at this stage of Puppy's development. :)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

8) Puppy was designed to be an English distro. That it has been translated to Chinese and Portugese etc is great.

The organization of other languages is good. Developers are concentrating on English.

It is up to you to develop other languages. You are doing. On the wiki and elsewhere. This is wonderful.

Puppian has a Chinese language support. Maybe a French one too. Mark has offered to host a French forum.

8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

raffy

Well taken

#4 Post by raffy »

Your comments are well taken (accepted - thanks for elaborating on the language problem). Those comments should be more shocking, not the paw logo :D

Meantime, about translating Puppy, please look here:

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/LanguageSupport

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... 7&start=32
(the last translation is Portuguese, PuppyBR)

Yes, Slax is good, too, but requires faster machines.

If you want to translate Puppy in French, we wish you the best!!!

Sage

#5 Post by Sage »

Not much call for French and German? Whenever I visit those countries, I can't stop their nationals practising their English on me. And all I wanted to do was improve my language skills......

oui

#6 Post by oui »

bonjour sage
Sage wrote:Not much call for French and German?
I didn't understand well your message sage, excuse me. I understand the above part of your message so, that you are wundered to read so much messages about wishes coming from French or German people, and that you are a sad.

Did I understand this part well?

Concerning the rest of your message I did understand nothing; but perhaps it's better so...

salut

oui

Sage

#7 Post by Sage »

Eh bien, M. Oui. Je veux dire tous les temps je visite en France ou L'Allemagne, le langue seul que les gens permitte-moi de parler est l'Anglaise!
Pardon pour ma Francais mauvaise.

aussie

#8 Post by aussie »

sage wrote:Pardon pour ma Francais mauvaise.
Sage, Vous parlez fran
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie