Netgear FA411 PCMCIA Network Card doesn't work in Puppy5.1.1

hooked2u

#1 Post by hooked2u »

Stats: Dell Inspiron 7000, P- II Deschuets CPU, 60 GB HDD, combo CD player/floppy, 384 MB RAM, Netgear FA411 PCMCIA Network Card.

Puppy versions 4.3.1 and older using the FA411 worked fine after loading the module for NE2000, I think it was pc_net. Thought I would upgrade to Puppy Linux LuPu 5.1.1 but I have been unsuccessful making an Internet connection through Network Wizard (neither Simple nor Dougal) using the FA411. The same module I have used in previous versions of Puppy appears in 5.1.1 but does not work with 5.1.1. I visited Netgear web site and downloaded the driver zipped file for the FA411. I attempted to load the .inf file using ndiswrapper. None of the .inf files worked (WFW311, W98, WinXP). I tried compiling the Linux driver that came in the zipped file and it did not work, either.

I have spent many hours over this past week searching Google and Puppy Linux Discussion Forum for an answer. A lot of reading but no solution.

I don't understand why the module worked for previous versions of Puppy 4.x.x and older, but not for 5.1.1. If I don't solve this soon I will fall back to Puppy 4.3.1.

Any help, other than what I've tried already, would be appreciated.

Also, I can't seem to find in the forum what PCMCIA network card works for everything. Anyone have the answer to this?

kb8amz

#2 Post by kb8amz »

Okay, I am using Puppy 4.3.1 instead of LuPu 5.1.1 and I have swapped out the Netgear FA411 16 bit network card for a 32 bit Dynex. The Dynex was recognized immediately without having to install a module. I will reboot out of Puppy 4.3.1 to 5.1.1 to determine if the new network card is recognized.