Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 19 Apr 2014, 15:47
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Kernel panic after "Performing switch root..."
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 5 of 5 [66 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Shep

PostPosted: Fri 10 Dec 2010, 09:07    Post subject: Re: Updating the readers (part 2)
Subject description: Introduction to things that have happened since the first days of October

I think you are getting the message loud and clear: stay away from Linux. Sad

Where long wires come from outside, anticipate damage from spikes induced by a nearby lightning strike, viz., power supply, and modem. With any luck these first-in-line elements will have sacrificed themselves thereby protecting the remainder.

You may be able to test your monitor by connecting it to a borrowed laptop. I plug mine into a laptop for a larger display.

On hearing this news, I am forced to revise my estimate to Xmas 2013. Crying or Very sad
Antipodal

PostPosted: Sat 11 Dec 2010, 17:21    Post subject: Re: Updating the readers (part 2)
Subject description: Introduction to things that have happened since the first days of October

Shep wrote:
I think you are getting the message loud and clear: stay away from Linux. Sad

I had also thought of that, but I've already made my mind, if there must be another battle I won't avoid it.
So I hope I'll soon continue with the story of what happened since the first days of October.
Because the story is about what happened with XP while I was trying to boot Puppy, I'm considering the possibility of opening a new thread about this topic in Taking the Puppy out for a walk / Misc.
But before doing that I would like to know what moderators think about my thoughts.
rfry85

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec 2012, 11:44    Post subject: Same trouble ony 2 years Later!
Subject description: Same Kernel Panic Error

I recently was trying to install puppy on an old satellite Laptop that my Mom wanted for a specific purpose. It already had Windows XP on it. Right off the bat I got the same kernel panic error as described above. I tried 4 or five different versions of puppy on cd. The first to actually load was a Macpuppy cd. But on further attempts at booting the cd I would get a kernel panic error!
But every now and again it would load. So on one of my successful attempts I did a frugal hard drive install. I never got that to boot. I just got the kernel panic error. So I started searching the forums and landed here.

Someone maybe Shep or maybe someone else suggested it may be a memory problem. Well since I was getting the error on my hard disk install, I knew it wasn't the medium!

I then ran a memory test and sure enough, the computer failed. So i'm pretty sure it is a memory problem! I can't say for sure since it is the built in 128mb memory that seems to be failing on the pc, and I have no way to replace it.

Anyway, I thought I'd post this incase someone ever runs into this again. Maybe it will help.
I realize this is an old post but I figured it couldn't hurt adding to it!
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec 2012, 12:38    Post subject:  

With only 128 MB of RAM, it's no wonder you're having problems. Have you made any swap memory on the hard disk, or in a USB flash drive?
rfry85

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec 2012, 20:58    Post subject: I misled you  

I have an additional 128mb in a removable chip.
69jakk

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec 2012, 18:40    Post subject: Re: Kernel panic after "Performing switch root..."
Subject description: Booting 4.1.2 from DVD

Antipodal wrote:

“Performing ‘switch root to the layered file system…Kernel panic – Not syncing: Attempted to kill init”

I'm getting the same error after rebuilding the initrd.gz file adding the lupusave.2fs option save file...

Any ideas on how to work on that?

I'm just trying to load the save file over pxe...

Thanks in advance...

Best regards.
Page 5 of 5 [66 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: