Lupu-515 Beta New Version DEC 18

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
tubeguy

#3001 Post by tubeguy »

Sylvander wrote:
Béèm wrote:Well in all these time you're here, you still don't catch how to reduce a picture to f.e. 599 wide before posting?
What is "f.e. 599 wide"?
I don't know what that means.
I know how to Post [at the PC-Guide] full-screen images hosted elsewhere, and reduce the pixel width to a specific value...
But I don't know how to upload an image to these forums, and specify a width for the display.

Will you explain how?
After you get your screenshot, you can use Image>Scale in mtPaint to reduce it.

You upload images using the "Add an Attachment" section right below. First click the browse button for your pic then click "Add Attachment".
Attachments
mtPaint.jpg
(177.08 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

jeffy39

lupu-515

#3002 Post by jeffy39 »

@Bigpup:
A big THANK YOU!
Wasn't aware of all the options w/in Pburn.
Got it.
wuff wuff

01micko

Re: lupu-515

#3003 Post by 01micko »

jeffy39 wrote:@Bigpup:
A big THANK YOU!
Got it.
wuff wuff
Also, if you click the "Setup" icon you can click the "Setuo CD and DVD reader and burner drives", acheives pretty much the same thing but globally.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

DaveS

#3004 Post by DaveS »

not really surprised goffice is the culprit. Gnumeric and goffice have to be paired.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

einar

compiz + tde and XFCE

#3005 Post by einar »

Hi

love puppy and i have been playing with it since 232. the only problem i got is when i use compiz. it has been noted before by lobster i think. my windows are stuck / no wobble. there is not an "top bar" with x and minimize etz,

im now using 246 with ati drivers on a HP HDX 9050. and the issue is the same on TDE as in XFCE.

please help. I love this puppy but i want Wobbel :)

bigpup

#3006 Post by bigpup »

I vote to use this desktop:
Attachments
my desktop.png
new desktop for Lupu
(117.82 KiB) Downloaded 857 times

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#3007 Post by Béèm »

Sylvander wrote:
Béèm wrote:Well in all these time you're here, you still don't catch how to reduce a picture to f.e. 599 wide before posting?
What is "f.e. 599 wide"?
I don't know what that means.
I know how to Post [at the PC-Guide] full-screen images hosted elsewhere, and reduce the pixel width to a specific value...
But I don't know how to upload an image to these forums, and specify a width for the display.

Will you explain how?
599 pixels wide, which is the recommendation to have a picture in the post.
When taking a screenshot, load it in mtpaint and scale it to 599 pixels wide. Save it and you can add it as an attachment in a post.

tubeguy has explained as well.
Last edited by Béèm on Sun 19 Dec 2010, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

James C

Re: grub4dos vs. legacy grub

#3008 Post by James C »

James C wrote:
shinobar wrote:
James C wrote:By your logic there is no need to include any bootloader.....everyone can just download their own choice.
We need at least one bootloader built in. My question is why we need two?

P.S: I do not want to argue. Just i like to know what is the problem and where is the room i can improve my grub4dosconfig.
You've done a lot of good work for Puppy so I did another test of Grub4 dos earlier today.
Perfectly working box with 3 full installs....Vector 6,Puppy 4.20 and Puppy 4.31 w/ legacy Grub in the mbr........performed a frugal install of Lupu-515 and used Grub4dos as the bootloader.
I'll be making a more detailed post in the appropriate thread but I could only boot the 2 Puppy full installs....... no go on Vector and the Lupu frugal.
No problem having both Grub and Grub4dos on the disc, I just don't know if this is ready to be the only bootloader.
More in the correct thread.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 030#479030
Turns out the problem with the Lupu-515 frugal install was installer error.........didn't copy the files onto the hard drive correctly. Manually copied the files like I usually do and now Lupu is working. :)

smokey01

#3009 Post by smokey01 »

bigpup I like this one too.
Attachments
swat.jpg
(56.64 KiB) Downloaded 772 times

playdayz

#3010 Post by playdayz »

I thought this had been taken care of, but it's there again.
Code:
# fixmenus
Generating /root/.icewm/menu...
Generating /root/.jwmrc...
Generating /root/.fbpanel/default...
killall: blinky_tray: no process killed
killall: traytemp: no process killed
killall: vattery: no process killed

(process:31428): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

(process:31428): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.

(process:31464): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.

(process:31477): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Cannot read file: /root/.retrovolrc
Using defaults...

(process:31483): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.

(process:31490): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Generating /root/.config/openbox/menu.xml...
Openbox-Message: Couldn't set locale from environment.
What does this mean as far as using the computer? Do you lose your locale when the menus are refreshed such as in adding a pet?

And what locale were you using please?
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 19 Dec 2010, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#3011 Post by playdayz »

(gnumeric:2661): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.24.0/gobject/gsignal.c:2273: signal `combo-activate' is invalid for instance `0x81ca870'
That's a *warning* not an error. it is not worth taking the chance of making any kind of change imho.

ilanrab

#3012 Post by ilanrab »

bigpup wrote:
ilanrab wrote:
bigpup wrote: You needed to burn the iso to a CD and make a live CD of Lupu 515.
For the programs in Puppy to work
Thank you bigpup. ...
A tool that specifically allows for a lupu-511.sfs, to be located in some directory
(on CD, or elsewhere), can just as easily allow for lupu-*.sfs, luci-*.sfs,
or lupi-*.sfs to be located (so that it can be used for the install).
Thus, a larger PuppyLinux user-base can make use of the tool that has
so graciously been bundled with Puppy.

ir
The ISO file is a type of compressed file. Have you tried to open the ISO file and placed the individual files in it on the hard drive and then run the bootflash and universal installer. I know they are not designed to look inside an ISO file.
BigPup, you're so nice to help out. Thank you.
I was actually able to get the install working, after 15 minutes, by jumping through hoops.
I have always known how to do it, but many newbies out there do not.

I mounted the ISO file with "mount -o loop /<path to the downloaded ISO file>/lupu-515.iso /mnt/cdrom"
I could then manage the files, inside the ISO, since I had a directory with the ISO contents at "/mnt/cdrom".
I then proceeded to use the available puppy tools, which could only be made to work by "twisting" their
intended use (rather than using them in a straight forward manner.)
I installed lupu-511, onto, the USB flash drive, via the Puppy Universal Installer (the installer
recognizes lupu-511.sfs files.) I then copied the initrd.gz, vmlinuz, and lupu-515.sfs files, from
"/mnt/cdrom", onto the (already installed) USB flash drive. By overwriting the lupu-511 files,
with the lupu-515 files.

Actually being able to accomplish such a feat, with an Operating System, is pretty amazing.
That's one of the main reasons I like PuppyLInux so much.
It's this "overwriting" (that I was forced to accomplsh) that new users should not have
to know about, or go through, in order to perform a simple installation.

Thanks again, BigPup.

Cheers,
ir

playdayz

#3013 Post by playdayz »

PupSetclock should be OK now. Setting it to open when clicking the clock made a problem in fbpanel.

Whew, seeing all these messages is daunting, but upon reflection most of them are not really bug reports. Thank goodness.

It might be a very good idea to start a new thread for the next Beta. Thanks.

bigpup

Re: lupu-515

#3014 Post by bigpup »

01micko wrote:
jeffy39 wrote:@Bigpup:
A big THANK YOU!
Got it.
wuff wuff
Also, if you click the "Setup" icon you can click the "Setuo CD and DVD reader and burner drives", acheives pretty much the same thing but globally.

Cheers
I do not think this will work for Pburn. I changed the settings in "setup CD and DVD reader burner drives" to something different then the setting in Pburn. Started Pburn and it still looked for the settings in Pburn to use. No change made to what Pburn was looking for.
Attachments
drive set.png
Pburn settings override setup CD and DVD reader
(35.14 KiB) Downloaded 738 times

01micko

#3015 Post by 01micko »

I do not think this will work for Pburn. I changed the settings in "setup CD and DVD reader burner drives" to something different then the setting in Pburn. Started Pburn and it still looked for the settings in Pburn to use. No change made to what Pburn was looking for.
Yes that is true bigpup, once you set it up for Pburn it becomes hard coded for Pburn, but if you do the drive wizard before you ever run pburn then pburn will use that info.

Also the universal installer will use that info, especially if you have one of those switching 3G modems that masquerade as a CD drive, you need to use the drive wizard in order to tell the system what is the actual drive. Tricky, I know, but I can't think of a better way. Perhaps Barry will come up with a solution, I'm sure he is aware as he has been doing lots of 3G modem work. (I'll post to the blog about this)
Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

playdayz

#3016 Post by playdayz »

For some period of time the Puppy Package Manager has had adverse effects on localization--it often, at least, 'unsets' the locale. It does that internally in order to run faster. IMHO a large set of localization problems probably are due to this.

In Lupu-516pre I have made that not happen. After all, we cannot emphasize localization and have an important program that is incompatible with it. However, PPM will run more slowly, which may or may not be noticeable.

<Add: The speed penalty does not seem very bad at all--much less than I feared.

Last edited by playdayz on Mon 20 Dec 2010, 04:19, edited 1 time in total.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#3017 Post by Béèm »

playdayz wrote:
I thought this had been taken care of, but it's there again.
Code:
# fixmenus
Generating /root/.icewm/menu...
Generating /root/.jwmrc...
Generating /root/.fbpanel/default...
killall: blinky_tray: no process killed
killall: traytemp: no process killed
killall: vattery: no process killed

(process:31428): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

(process:31428): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.

(process:31464): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.

(process:31477): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Cannot read file: /root/.retrovolrc
Using defaults...

(process:31483): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.

(process:31490): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Generating /root/.config/openbox/menu.xml...
Openbox-Message: Couldn't set locale from environment.
What does this mean as far as using the computer? Do you lose your locale when the menus are refreshed such as in adding a pet?

And what locale were you using please?
I always use the same locale, nl_BE@euro with any puppy/derivative.
Somewhere along the lucid 2.xx it was solved and I was happy with that and sorry I don't recall exactly in which one.

Warning message like this indicate something is not quite right.

I remember shinobar had made me copy something in a lucid and in the next release it was included.
Time savers:

Béèm

515 locale again.

#3018 Post by Béèm »

Sorry to 'hammer' on the same issue.
I had set my locale in the first run to nl_BE@euro as I always do.
Seeing the clock wasn't set at 24 hrs (in open box and as it was in earlier lucid's) I did run the clockset manager.
So my clock was at 24 hrs, but the tooltip was in uk or us.
In order to rectify, I had to set my locale again (yes nl_BE@euro)
And do a restart X. Then the tool tip was ok in Dutch.

I have the impression, that the latest lucid's and now lupu as less and less locale friendly.
Time savers:

MinHundHettePerro

#3019 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Hello :)!

Been running a lot of the lucis and now lupu515 and have been mostly content with them :).

Now, I just tried to use the included Calculator, and forgive if I'm daft, but........

If i enter "1e4" and then hit enter (or the equal sign button) I get 10000, as expected of course.

Now enter 1/(1e4) and hit enter - evidently 0.0001 is shown for "fix" display and 1e-4 for "sci" display.

NOW, Enter 1e-4 and hit enter ............. :(
The result shown is −1.281718172 "e - 4" i.e. Euler's number - 4. :(. ( 1e(-4) is not even recognised )

Is it just me :shock:, but how would one enter any number to a negative power of ten in this calculator??? (Naturally, without taking the route of entering as the inverse of the power of ten, leaving the coefficient outside) :? :? :?

Confused :?/
MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

acrocosm

unable to get nvidia drivers to work

#3020 Post by acrocosm »

I haven't been able to install nvidia drivers for my quadro fx4000. I tried 260.x and 256.x, I even wiped the previous installations but no luck.

Details...
I started with a fresh HD install of 542, the drivers installed fine. Then upgraded to 515 they weren't working anymore so I tried removing them and reinstalling, rebooting between attempts.

Before anyone asks, yes, I did use rmmod nvidia (which BTW is misspelled as "rmmod mvidia" on the info dialog). I also tried searching for whatever had the word nvidia on the filename and removed that. Nothing. Then I wiped the installation and reinstalled. I did that 2 timed trying a diferent version each time (260.x first, 256.x after). Nothing '_'
----------

Other than that, on HD install I don't get the first run wizard. I do get it if I restart x tho. That's since 510, I don't know about earlied versions. Booting from usb works fine.

The first time I did a fresh install, after rebooting to see if i get the drivers working I noticed that my sound card wasn't set anymore and I had to run the wizard again and select a card.