No multiuser firefox? (Mozilla could do it)

Booting, installing, newbie
p1000

No multiuser firefox? (Mozilla could do it)

#1 Post by p1000 »

Hi,
Anyone has this particular problem, i can't seem to run firefox 1.5.0.2 as different user (like spot user). Only root user can launch firefox.
The error was segmentation fault.
Have already check and set
- ~/.mozilla permission and owner
- DISPLAY=:0.0

But i could run the default mozilla 1.8b2 browser as both root and spot user.
Any ideal ?
(Using puppy 1.0.8r1)

thanks

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

Does Firefox have group and user permission.

You could try chmod with 666.

p1000

#3 Post by p1000 »

yes try that already but still the problem segmentation fault. Any strace utilities available in puppyos ? that will help narrow down the problem.

thanks

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Ian »

Segmentation error sounds like a memory problem.

It may have something to do with 1.0.8. and Firefox or the fact that Mozilla is already in 1.0.8.

Is there any particular reason for using Firefox?

p1000

#5 Post by p1000 »

Hi Ian,
We are using the firefox for a kiosk solution run in windows platform and have made customization on the firefox. We are looking at puppyos instead of windows. The segmentation fault only happen if we run it non-root user.
Look like we have to run it as root user which still not very safe to me.

thanks

p1000

#6 Post by p1000 »

Guest what i copy the strace from redhat 9, and it run in puppy linux no problem. And from this i found out the problem that cause the segmentation fault it was the /dev/zero. The firefox need to permission to this device. I do a chmod og+w to it and firefox can be run from normal user.

thanks

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#7 Post by GuestToo »

that's good to know

there was also a problem with earlier Puppy's not having write access to /dev/null ... setting up Puppy to run as unprivleged user requires tracking down these bugs

it's fairly easy to run X as spot ... but there are problems that have to be addressed

one problem i had was that rxvt would not run as spot ... i've tried to find the answer, but i haven't really tried very hard ... and i could open rxvt running as root anyway ... i tried things like setuid and xhost ... so if anyone can get rxvt to run as spot, it would be nice if you would post the solution ... it's on my to-do list, somewhere

p1000

#8 Post by p1000 »

Hi GuestToo,
A quick strace and the problem is the /dev/ptmx permission need to create pseudo ttys.
strace debug
open("/dev/ptmx, O_RDWR) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)

chmod og+w /dev/ptmx to fix the problem.

thanks

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#9 Post by GuestToo »

great ... that was the problem, rxvt seems to run ok as spot now ... thanks, p1000