Puppy asks for a login name and password

Booting, installing, newbie
presto

#21 Post by presto »

Sorry, that's 96 MB.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#22 Post by Flash »

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough. I meant run Puppy from the CD, not from the hard drive.

presto

#23 Post by presto »

Well, it's not the full hard-disk install, it's the frugal "poor man's" install--which I believe works just as if it were running from the CD, but with the CD's files just happening to be on the hard disk. (But what the heck do I know . . . really . . . I'm a Linux newcomer)

Ed_P

#24 Post by Ed_P »

Flash wrote:Uh, guys, does this help ikabod solve his problem of Puppy asking for a password?

Sage: seems like every time someone posts a problem you assert it's because of their crappy hardware. That's not exactly what Puppy is about, is it?

Ed_P: isn't Qemu a program to emulate a PC from within another OS? Unless you are willing to claim it is bug-free, then possibly it does not exactly emulate a PC.

Is anyone running Puppy on a (real) computer with only 128 MB of RAM?
I agree on all points Flash.

QEMU is open source and is as susceptible to bugs as any other piece of sw. But this Puppy looping has occurred in both the 0.72 and 0.80 versions of QEMU. And I can boot XP in the same versions in 128MB of RAM, slowly, but no problems with looping or not enough RAM errors. So QEMU and it's handling of RAM seems to be reliable to me.

Granted a real machine would be better test, but one without a hd to verify that only the RAM is a factor.

Anyways, just my opinions.
Ed

Sage

#25 Post by Sage »

John: I strongly resent the interference and insulting comments of Mr Flash. I would suggest that he be removed from his function ASAP.

As for 128Mb issue, some folks seem to be having trouble with their reading skills. In common with very many correspondents reporting in these Fora, I can run all varieties of Puppy from CD in a plethora of HW combinations without any problems when main memory is 128Mb. I cannot reliably run the same if the board has video-shared main memory. Many proprietary boxes use this ruse - it has been an issue this last decade, everybody with any HW experience knows about it. The issue of memory sharing problems is not restricted to a particular OS.
Folks requesting help on these pages deserve the best possible advice. If they want to be successful with Puppy, they should fit a minimum of unhindered 128MB of RAM, because Puppy runs in RAM - this is (almost) unique, and not related to the way other distros function. If they want to connect to the Net via DUN, they should use an external serial modem. My advice? No! Read what the designer of Puppy says. My extensive experience of HW over more than four decades also suggests that proprietary boxes should be avoided at all costs - even if this causes millions of Americans a lot of problems.
So Mr Smart *ss, if you want to know how to run Puppy, read and digest what its originator says before you open your big mouth. After that, try listening to people with a lot more experience than you have.

Ed_P

#26 Post by Ed_P »

I keep forgetting that this forum has a world wide audience and English isn't everyone's native language. So for the sake of the language translators;

128MB QEMU + Puppy = NO work

IF Puppy runs on real machines with 128MB of RAM it must be using the hard drive or some hidden cache or something. Based on Sage's comments about video RAM usage it would seem that that is what Puppy is using. (BTW that use to be an old DOS EMM386 trick.) QEMU simulates an environment with nothing but memory RAM and Puppy needs 256MB of it to boot.

IF someone has trouble understanding this all they have to do is download and install QEMU, it's free. In it's native raw state it can be a little daunting to learn how to use so I recommend an interface, such as QEMU Manager from http://www.davereyn.co.uk which BTW includes QEMU 0.8.0.

IF someone has a machine with only 128MB of RAM and no hard drive it would be interesting to see if they could boot Puppy.
Folks requesting help on these pages deserve the best possible advice.
I couldn't agree more. Rather than spouting opinions why don't you try duplicating the situation and determine a cause/solution?
My extensive experience of HW over more than four decades also suggests that proprietary boxes should be avoided at all costs
BTW way genius, pcs were developed in the 80s. Tab equipment experience doesn't count for much.
Ed

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#27 Post by Flash »

*Sigh* You're right, Sage, I'm not a very good forum Administrator; I meant to prevent a flame war but I may have precipitated one instead.

I hope the newcomers to Puppy who are here looking for help find it an amusing bonus. :lol:

Ed_P

#28 Post by Ed_P »

FWIW Puppy boots into a 128MB RAM QEMU config IF a 32MB virtual hard drive is added to the config. A smaller vdrive might work also but I didn't try that.

So for those Window users who would like to experiment with Linux without rebooting their system from a CD and without the risk of loosing their systems by installing Linux onto the hard drive the QEMU approach is viable with minimal impact to your normal processing. The Puppy Video Manager seems to take a long time to accept a reply but it does eventually. And Puppy, at this point, looks interesting.

Puppy 2 sounds even more phenomenal.

Nice job Barry. :)
Ed

Ed_P

#29 Post by Ed_P »

Hello, from the world of Puppy running within QEMU. :D

It's no speed demon but it runs within my Windows system. Setting up the network was simple, once I found the Network Wizard. I suspect I may have a question or two as time goes along. :)
Ed

Ed_P

#30 Post by Ed_P »

FWIW Some related links:

::: SimplePup 0.3.1 ::: ready for testing
timcriger wrote:
To: timcriger
Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:16 am
Subject: Re: SimplePup 0.3.1 ready to test

Hi. I tested 0.3.1. It still doesn't work right Sad

I simulated a qemu environment with no useable hdd partition.

Memory loads/mounts usr_cram.fs results
64 mounts runs ok
128 loads error out of space
160 loads error out of space
196 loads error out of space
256 loads runs ok

So the ramdisk size needed is still not correctly calculated!

PS
Sorry, this is frustrating!! Seems i haven't properly fixed the ramdisk size test at boot up, etc.
I'll have to appeal to those much more knowledgeable on how to fix this bug... (alienx, MU, Barry, raffy, bombayrockers, pizzasgood, GuestToo... others?)

Thanks for your patience with my learning curve.
Hope you enjoy SimplePup (on machines with 64ram or 256ram and above anyway : )

--Tim
The 64MB RAM QEMU config does not work for me even with a 32MB vdisk included. I get the Password looping situation again. So apparently the 128 RAM requirement needs tweaking a bit (rather than simply being restated. :) )

And this looks to be extremely interesting: QEMU-Puppy - A Personal Portable Computer
Ed

Lucidguppy

#31 Post by Lucidguppy »

I've got a Dell Optiplex GX200 733 MHz with 128 megs of ram.

I get the same problem of asking for a password when I try to install from the latest multisession iso.

What do I do?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#32 Post by Flash »

Are you sure it's the multisession iso?

papakanush

#33 Post by papakanush »

Sage wrote:Can't see any cause for complaint - I gave the answer above: more memory and avoid shared memory unless there's a swap file/partition. That's the way Puppy works - it's all described in the extensive web descriptions. Americans, in particular, have just got to learn to stop buying proprietary boxes. The proverbial child of six could screw together a modern clone PC from a NewEgg bundle - even without an instruction leaflet. Time to wake up, switch on brain, and dispose of GWB and his capitalist cronies who are intent on destroying all pretence of decent education for the proletariat in expectation giving them the freedom to fritter away all their hard-earned.

Thanks for the condensending comments from our surely more enlightened friends.

This is a beginners forum, and probably not the first time the same question has been asked before. Could it be that duplicate questions have been asked before by 'gasp' non-americans. If you want to promote Puppy, keep the America (or any other) bashing out. IMHO

timothyding

256MB Ram solved Password request problem.

#34 Post by timothyding »

Hi,

I used VMWare to test out the Puppy Linux (puppy-multisession-1.0.8r1-mozilla.iso). At first I started with 196MB vitual memory- FAILED( as in kept asking for password). Then I tried 128mb - FAILED. Then I tried 256MB - WORKED!!. But I encounter problems while saving the session to the CD. Gonna post more updates after I find out how to fix it.