Insidious Puppy 001

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Roy

#141 Post by Roy »

I am sorry, Valinote. Now I'm stumped, too.

Is the unmount option for that partition even available in Gparted or is 'unmount' grayed out for you?

-Roy

Valinote

#142 Post by Valinote »

If I remember correctly, a right-click shows "Unmount" available on the menu for the ext3 partition, while "Swapout" is the option for the linux-swap partition. There's no "padlock" on either partition though that would indicate either one is mounted. I've reformatted and repartitioned several times with similar negative results. I just can't seem to get by the installer thinking that something is still mounted. Is there any way to do a "manual" install of Insidious Puppy without using the PUI?

-Steve D

pemasu

#143 Post by pemasu »

Does Insidous puppy have hal and dbus installed?
#hal
yes|hal|hal,hal-info|exe,dev,doc>null,nls>null|exe,dev,doc>null,nls>null
yes|libhal|libhal1,libhal-dev,libhal-storage1,libhal-storage-dev|exe,dev,doc>null,nls>null
#dbus
yes|dbus|dbus,dbus-x11|exe,dev,doc>null,nls>null|exe,dev,doc>null,nls>null
yes|libdbus|libdbus-1-3,libdbus-1-dev,libdbus-glib-1-2,libdbus-glib-1-dev|exe,dev,doc>null,nls>null

Karl Godt

#144 Post by Karl Godt »

I got 2.6.35.7 compiled to boot on one desktop machine but failed starting X. The only thing that had been fine was that the penguin logo was shown ....
I compiled 3x 2.6.34.7 from 3,3 to 11 Mb which booted to X and jwm but had no Sound except for `beep`. These 3 kernels wouldn't boot on the other machine : saying could not mount root fs on unknown block ( 2x 0,0 , 1x 2,0 ) .
I searched the net and finally applied barrys DOTconfig from wary040 on it and that worked !
Still I haven't found the Setting that makes it (not) seeing the HDs there.

I have many questions :
make menuconfig :
General setup > Local version append to kernel release
if I append "-i486" would it harm ?
Some scripts are using the `uname -r` command .
Enable loadable module support > Module versioning support
Barrys DOTconfig has this checked . Does it prevent kernels to load modules not compiled within the same charge ( I forgot f.ex. to check many multimedia and network drivers )
Processor type and features > Support for extended (non-PC) x86 platforms
make defconfig has this checked but Barrys DOTconfig not .
What are extended x86 platforms ?
> Disable Bootmem code
What is this ?
> Math emulation
The help says
If you don't have a math coprocessor, you need to say Y here; if you |
| say Y here even though you have a coprocessor, the coprocessor will |
| be used nevertheless. (This behavior can be changed with the kernel |
| command line option "no387", which comes handy if your coprocessor |
| is broken. Try "man bootparam" or see the documentation of your boot |
| loader (lilo or loadlin) about how to pass options to the kernel at |
| boot time.) This means that it is a good idea to say Y here if you |
| intend to use this kernel on different machines.
Barrys DOTconfig : # CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION is not set

> Built-in kernel command line
> ()
Barry : CONFIG_CMDLINE="video=640x480"
how about adding "panic=SEC" for laptops that do not have a reset button ?
I am bootin my puppies with debug and panic params nowerdays ...

> Device Drivers > < > ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support (DEPRECATED) --->
Barrys : unchecked
> <*> Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers --->
Barrys are all integrated and still the DOTconfBK-kernel became just 2204 Kb .... The two HD are Seagates and Seagate doesn't show in the list.
Which is the parameter that makes a kernel autodetect internal (U)DMA HDs ?
as far as I can see about differences are :
BK : Symbol: NEED_DMA_MAP_STATE [=n] ; mine =y
Symbol: PATA_OPTIDMA [=y] ; mine =m |
| Prompt: OPTI FireStar PATA support (Very Experimental)
> DMA Engine support --->
Barry : [ ] ; mine [*] > [ ] DMA Engine debugging, <M> Intel I/OAT DMA support, [*] Network: TCP receive copy offload, [*] Async_tx: Offload support for the async_tx api, <M> DMA Test client

File systems > [*] Miscellaneous filesystems --->
> <M> Aufs (Advanced multi layered unification filesystem) support
> [ ] NFS-exportable aufs
enabling this gave error and halt
> Maximum number of branches (127) --->
what does this mean ? They range from 127 to 32767 .
The aufs patches by Barry are `diff -urN` and `diff --git` ones . diff -rupN is working but the patches with something added to the last line had been rejected. I use "-uaNd" and recursively "-uraNd" with comparatively good success until today.

And I have to apologize : Kernel 2.6.36 still had no aufs inside.

pemasu

#145 Post by pemasu »

My DOTconfig for 2.6.35.7. Kernel is in my Snow Puppy 513RC now. Working quite ok.
It has smp, hyperthreading, rfkill, suspend to ram, hibernate to disk enabled and acpi debugging for powertop better statistics.

Dunno about your questions, barrys choices just worked for me, I just added those properties above.

Just remove .gz, it is plain text file.
Attachments
DOTconfig_2_6_35_7.gz
(93.95 KiB) Downloaded 348 times

Karl Godt

#146 Post by Karl Godt »

Is there any way to do a "manual" install of Insidious Puppy without using the PUI?
1. : I remastered a dpup005 and was running it in RAM and intalled it to 2 tiny partitions frugally and full using the `puppyinstaller`.
At the end of the turn I made a pupsave to the frugal installed partition and did choose no to copy the sfs to disk. But The script seems to have a bug and it copied it. :lol:
Your partition might have an inpu-001.sfs on it :roll:
You can also unmount it from the console

Code: Select all

umount /dev/sda1 || umount -a 
There seems to be a bug at pup_event_frontend_d that might call mut , partprobe , mount and other commands, one might be able to delete /dev/sda , /dev/sda1 files and running two pup_event_frontend_d might delete several drive icons on the desktop . I detected that while handling a lot with plugging in/out USB pens.
Otherwise it is just `cp -r / /mnt/sda1/` and `grubconfig` .
Your Bios might not like your HD because it is too large. Or the CYL/HDS/SEC are wrongly adjusted . Watch for the PSU also !
HTH

johnmd

hard drive install

#147 Post by johnmd »

Hi Valinote
I found the same problem when trying to do a hd install of Insidious. Think there may be something wrong with the installer - but the good news is that there is a simple workaround to get a frugal install. Check out this bit of Barry K's website:

http://www.puppylinux.com/hard-puppy.htm

"Some people like to do a frugal install of Puppy manually, and this is quite simple also. You choose what partition, then copy the files 'vmlinuz', 'initrd.gz' and 'pup_xxx.sfs' (and maybe 'z*.sfs') from the CD to the partition. Normally you would place the files at '/' in the hard drive partition, but Puppy has support for installing into a subdirectory.
Note: if you do this from Windows, you may see the files on the CD are upper-case characters, so after copying them to the hard drive partition please rename them to lower-case letters -- see the "Warning to MS Windows users" box below."

So just fire up the live cd again, mount both the cd itself and the partition where you want to put your hd install and copy across the three/four files.

then add something like:

title Puppy Linux Insidious 001
rootnoverify (hd0,3)
kernel (hd0,3)/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 pmedia=atahd
initrd (hd0,3)/initrd.gz

[adapted to fit your disk partitions] to your /boot/grub/menu.lst file and you're ready to go [assuming you have grub legacy and not grub 2]

Hope it works for you,as it has for me.
Best wishes, John

nooby

Re: hard drive install

#148 Post by nooby »

johnmd wrote:
rootnoverify (hd0,3)
kernel (hd0,3)/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 pmedia=atahd
initrd (hd0,3)/initrd.gz

[adapted to fit your disk partitions]
Best wishes, John
Hi John,

thanks indeed for telling us this.

I had to change (hd0,3) to (hd0,2) but other than that it just worked.

What does the root=/dev/ram0 do? ?

The only bad thing about that code is that if one have several luci or lupu in frugal mode then it ask you which pupsave file to load each time instead of just booting so should one not add a psubdir to the kernel line?

anyway. You showed how I could boot puppies that failed with another code but using your code they do boot so hope they stay that way.

Thanks indeed for telling us what works for you.
Hopefully it will boot forever on my Acer too.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

johnmd

#149 Post by johnmd »

Hi Nooby
If you want several puppies all on one partition - i think you just set up a separate folder for each and put each puppy's 3or4 files into this folder instead of in / as i did, and then just direct grub to that folder instead of to the / of the partition as a whole [which is what i did]. So lines 3 and 4 of grub would look more like this:

kernel (hd0,3)/puppy1/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 pmedia=atahd
initrd (hd0,3)/puppy1/initrd.gz

with your particular folder identifying names instead of <puppy1>

I think the root=/dev/ram0 just tells puppy where to mount its imaginary/virtual file system while it's running - maybe someone who really understands it can explain better, I hope so.

Best wishes, John

nooby

#150 Post by nooby »

Thanks John,

I was wrong about Lupu-515, that one and Luci-246 fails to boot but several puppies that failed to boot before now boot when I added root=/dev/ram0

So it does something important but does not help with two of more known puppies.

I guess the reason that Insidious and Fluppy don't even need root=/dev/ram0 to boot is that they have more drivers that the Lupu and Luci puppies maybe don't have?

But I can be wrong.

You are right about the subdir when I added that one then it did not list all the others.

Valinote

#151 Post by Valinote »

John, thanks for your help. I put inpu_001.sfs, intrd.gz, and vmlinuz in partition /dev/sda1. Then in /dev/sda1/boot/grub I created menu.lst as follows:

rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 pmedia=atahd
initrd (hd0,0)/initrd.gz

But when I boot, I never even make it into grub, just a flashing line cursor in the upper left of the screen. No more. I'm a terrible linux nooby of course...

Are there any drawbacks or disadvantages of a FRUGAL install rather than a FULL install?

-Steve D

nooby

#152 Post by nooby »

I don't know how often John check if there are comments here?

So in case he is away for the Holiday Season I would start a new thread in the Beginners section :)

Then more people get aware of your question.

Re if Frugal install has drawbacks. Well the pupsavfile can be limited.
But a work around is to place .sfs outside of the pupsave in the mnt/home part.

have the menu.lst and the grldr file in the mnt/home part and maybe that helps booting?

Not sure. It booted also when the menu-lst was way deep down in Jolicloud/boot/grub/ menu.lst so as long as you have grldr on a partition that BIOS? accept that would allow it to boot.

Maybe people that knows more than what I know which is almost nothing wants you to tell more about your set up there. Did you have a windows installation and then wiped it clean and did a frugal install? Did you do that from within some Puppy on a CD and which Puppy and did you format to what? Can you see if the boot flag is set as bootable.

I failed booting an USB due to not setting the boot flag. So such has nothing to do with frugal or puppy. All booting need proper set up of BIOS and how the HDD looks like for the grldr?

I could be wrong though. I am a very newbie kind of noob.

Valinote

#153 Post by Valinote »

have the menu.lst and the grldr file in the mnt/home part and maybe that helps booting?
I must be noobier that you are. I don't know what a grldr file is? 8-)
Did you have a windows installation and then wiped it clean and did a frugal install? Did you do that from within some Puppy on a CD and which Puppy and did you format to what? Can you see if the boot flag is set as bootable.
I had a full install of Puppy 5.2 beta on the hard drive before, but used my Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 live-cd to run GParted to format and create 2 partitions: 99GB ext3; and a 1GB linux-swap. The boot flag is set on the main partition.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, the PUI on my Puppy 5.2 CD works fine to perform a full install, but not with the Insidious PUI. But INPU itself runs fine off the CD in live mode.

Maybe there's a different puppy derivative that would be better suited to use on a 5 year old laptop?

-Steve D

nooby

#154 Post by nooby »

Wish those that know more than me would jump in and help you but suppose all of them are traveling to their Holiday families so I try my best.

I would make use of Shinobar's grub4dosconfig and let that one do the set up.

Look for it using this search machine :)

http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

put in this

Shinobar grub4dosconfig

and looks for threads where he describe how to use it.

that one should be able to set things going so all of it boots.

If it does not start a new thread and tell your story there. Hope that helps.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51697

My gut feeling is that ext3 maybe is part of your problem but I know too little.

I remember that I had a HP/Compaq and that one I tried out ext3 and it failed to boot and then I tried another formatting and it booted but that was maybe a year ago so I fail to remember and I could ahve done something else wrong too.

Waht grldr is? I have no idea either. But it may mean Grub Loader
but I only wild guess. Look for it and see if it is on a partition that allow it to be used when booting? But you have to ask somebody else, I know too little.

James C

#155 Post by James C »

As far as I know there is a problem with the installer in Insidious in regard to full installs. See here.......
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 042#473042
and
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 276#473276

I've performed about 5 different frugal installs,booting with regular grub,on ext3 and no problems.
HTH.

nooby

#156 Post by nooby »

Thanks James!

Should he be able to know how to change things based on those links then?
what does he have to do to get it working?

Sorry me having wrong gut feeling.

Valinote

#157 Post by Valinote »

Thanks for the pointers, nooby. I know most normal folks are away on holiday this time of year. I will read up on shinobar's grub4dos utility and give that a shot. If I still have no joy after doing that I will start a new thread regarding this specific issue. I might give Puppy 412 a try as I have read that runs well (cooler too) on older laptops. Happy holiday to all!

-Steve D

nooby

#158 Post by nooby »

Yes I've heard much praise about 412 too for older equipments with less memory?

My PB has 512Meg so I ahve not felt the need too test it though.
Good luck to get something that works for you.

Karl Godt

#159 Post by Karl Godt »

Sid seems to have a promblem with the GTK main libs and executables.

Any app that depends on input 2>File is getting a lot of warning messages into the FILE.

Xdialog is one of them.

Apps that relay on clean FILE to perform `cut -f X -d Y` don't find the needed info in that field anymore. It is not -f 2 anymore but -f 120 or such.

Sid still is testing and experimental.

The puppyinstaller is getting his infos that way too. But also bootmanager, jwmconfig will suffer and everything in /usr/local has to be concidered to work only with problems.

For the Kernel experience : There is 2.6.37* out and the aufs patches that worked ok on 30.5, 34.7, 35.7 and 36 seems not to work there ATM ...
I tried it also on 6.27.57 but the syntax is different : fs/notify uses some SYM_inode_BOL there while the patches are using SYM_path_BOL. They applied anyway but led to error-halt. I seems that the puppy 2.6.25 kernel doesn't use aufs.
There had been 2.4.37.10 out but it needed some modutils that I couldn't download anywhere and the modutils source from kernel.org for compiling 2.4 kernels had been full of compile errors.

johnmd

#160 Post by johnmd »

Hi All
Happy Christmas from downunder.

Valinote - Sorry my instructions were assuming you already had a working linux distro on another partition complete with it's own already functioning grub - then to add the entry that I listed to boot your insidious puppy - usng the grub installed by your other distro. From the fact you get nothing at all when you boot up I assume the original grub set up for Ubuntu is no longer working.

What I would try would be repair Ubuntu first to give a working grub setup for that a working grub and then add the puppy grub entry [4 lines] to the /boot/grub/menu.lst file of your Ubuntu [you'll need to be root to do this or do sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst]

OR if you have a knoppix live cd handy try installing grub from scratch with that - details see Kyle Rankin's book 'Knoppix Hacks' #66 p203. BUT I don't know if that will work directly with a frugal puppy install - you should be able to repair your Ubuntu grub setup with Knoppix and then add the puppy entry afterwards.

Or use the grub installer of the Puppy Insidious live cd - go Menu-System-Grub bootloader config - see if you can repair grub that way . or if you still have Ubuntu live cd/dvd boot it and use its initial option to boot linux from first hard drive - to get your Ubuntu booted.

then perhaps Ubuntu has it's own grub-install or grub-update commands - I don't know it well enough to know - but you have to boot it first.

Or better still someone who knows what they're doing will come up with a better solution.
Best wishes, John