Touchscreen HOWTO

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
The_Pirate

PS/2 trouble

#21 Post by The_Pirate »

Hi -
I have a Fujitsu/Siemens B-2131 lifebook.

Of course, i did not read all the entries in this thread (If everything fails, read the manual...) and tried to configure it for a serial touchscreen. Stupid as usual.

It didn't work, so i assume it must be a PS/2 screen..as somebody wrote it would be in a "B" series...

There is absolutely no response from the touchscreen...also not from the PS/2 connector, when i plug a trackball into the socket, even though the configuration program found the PS/2 port.
The built in 'mouse' (a little funny green joystick in the keyboard) as well as a external USB mouse work fine.

Has anybody managed to get one of these screens to work? If you have ideas, i volunteer as a Guinea Pig. I'm just not that fast on the uptake, so please write really slow...:P

MthNrd

Another Fujitsu B-series Lifebooker Here

#22 Post by MthNrd »

If I can't get the touchscreen to work, I will drop it off at the shelter and revert back to Win2000

Working with a B-2175...

Someone, somewhere, HELP US!!!

tempestuous

#23 Post by tempestuous »

As I said earlier in this thread -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 653#295653
the B-series Lifebooks have a PS/2 touchscreen interface, so they cannot be made to work with Puppy.

The_Pirate

#24 Post by The_Pirate »

tempestuous, i ACK that the kernel options are currently missing. But i refuse to give up. I'm a stubborn old git.

So, we need a new kernel. I see two options:
1) Puppy supplies one. It would be appropriate that the new kernel contains the fix for the recent "null pointer" flap, this way everybody benefits. I guess this involves "lobby Barry", but i'm not sure how to do that.
2) Where is the stuff we need to roll our own kernel? Then we'll just have to do it ourselves.

From there on, i guess we'll have to play it by ear.

BTW, may i compliment tempestuous on the amount of work, as well as the quality of it, on the subject of touchscreeens? I have not found any other guides on the web, no matter for what distro, that deals with touchscreens with the new kernels. IMHO this deserves to be worked into a "Touchscreens on Linux 2.6 HOWTO", as there currently seems to be no such thing...

Thanks for your work!

caiooiac

#25 Post by caiooiac »

Hello everyone

I'm with the same problem as the lifebook b-series owners. I have a fujitsu lifebook B-2154 and am trying to make the touchscreen work.

I'm sorry to hear that the pro in touchscreen think we have no solution... and I'm to ignorant to really help or even to disagree, but from my research I think is possible. Just isn't a real good how to like this one...

All explain my point of view: three successful installations in my model

http://users.tkk.fi/u/jjvayryn/B2154.html
http://www.minus1.de/s/lifebook-linux.html
http://www.shappyhopper.co.uk/b2154/

No one is with puppy, but they are all linux...

Here we have someone who made the drive and teaches how to use it:

http://stlx01.stz-softwaretechnik.de/~k ... touch.html

Mine doesn't work with his configuration. He has a kernel pach, but he says kernel 2,6,13 and newer doesn't need it, so I don't have it (and because I don't know how to make a kernel pach...).

And last but not least we have this threat:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 06a36932fe

Where one or to guys manage to make the touchscreen work.

As I said before I'm far far away from been a advanced user and can't figure out what I doing wrong, so I have some questions, hope you can help me.

-Do I need to do the kernel pach?
-I downloaded the evtouch drive and copy it to /usr/X11R6/xorg/lib/modules/input (or something like that, I don't have my laptop on now). Is this installing the drive or do I need to do something else?
-Booting the default puppy 4.21 already make my touchscreen work (but not at properly). When I edit xorg.conf like said in the last site, nothing works (touchscreen and mouse stick), but if I delete either one of the corepoints entry, it works like before. What's up with that??

Thank you in advance for any help

caiooiac

#26 Post by caiooiac »

I can't believe it!!!!! I just got my touchscreen working!!!!!!

I was trying to do that for ages!! I'm so happy!

So I'll tell how I made mine work:

Downloaded evtouch-0.8.7.tar.gz from http://stlx01.stz-softwaretechnik.de/~k ... touch.html and copied the evtouch_drv.so to /usr/X11R6/lib/xorg/modules/input

Then I add to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "X.org Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "touchscreen" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "touchscreen"
Driver "evtouch"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event2"
Option "DeviceName" "touchscreen"
Option "MinX" "44"
Option "MinY" "93"
Option "MaxX" "975"
Option "MaxY" "990"
Option "ReportingMode" "Raw"
Option "Emulate3Buttons"
Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "On"
EndSection

That is Mr_Parker configuration (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 06a36932fe). That's the same as the download place, but with the correct numbers for my laptop model.

And the only deference in my case (and it made all the difference ) was in this line:

Option "Device" "/dev/input/event2"

When I changed mine to event1 it worked!!!!!!

So goof luck everyone, hope you manage to make your's work.

Bye

IT-Schaf

#27 Post by IT-Schaf »

I use an Simatic Touchscreen with a Semtech Screencoder, it is a USB-Touchscreen. The Driver from Touch Base Ltd dosn´t work, same at evtouch, evdev and other. The Touchscreen is running but not configurable it´s horrible.

I changed the Xorg and written an udev rules, but nothing helps.
The configuration tool from TouchBase is running, but i can´t use them, because the mousepointer is overwrite the pointer from touchscreen i think. Anyone ideas?

:shock: Dummymode: ON :shock:

vaskoiii

#28 Post by vaskoiii »

My Computer:
Lifebook p1120

Puppy Version:

Issue:
Touchscreen worked out of the box but config values are ignored.

Code: Select all

#cat /proc/bus/input/devices
I: Bus=0003 Vendor=0430 Product=0508 Version=0100
N: Name="Fujitsu Takamisawa USB Touch Panel"
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:02.0-3/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/usb1/1-3/1-3:1.0/input/input8
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=mouse1 event8 js0 
B: EV=1b
B: KEY=70000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: ABS=3
B: MSC=10
On boot the touchpanel works and everything but I can't figure out how to configure it. I have followed this HOWTO for USB and Serial Touch Panels but it doesn't seem to matter what I put as config values. The touchpanel always seems to put the cursor in the same place no matter what MinX, MaxX, MinY, MaxY values I put.

Please advise.
Last edited by vaskoiii on Thu 18 Mar 2010, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.

maddmike

#29 Post by maddmike »

vaskoiii wrote:The touchpanel always seems to put the cursor in the same place no matter what MinX, MaxX, MinY, MaxY values I put.
This was also the "best" result I got with my Panasonic T-5, which has a Fujitsu USB touchscreen. My theory was that X11 was getting data from the touchscreen, but it was in the wrong format, so it couldn't get real X,Y positions. I tried different drivers, different "DEVICE" settings in Xorg.conf, different options. Sometimes I could change the location of where the mouse pointer would go, but it was always stuck in one location.

I gave up after getting to this point.

tempestuous

#30 Post by tempestuous »

vaskoiii, you make no mention of whether you installed the touchscreen-Puppy4.1.pet from the first page in this forum thread.
This is essential, you must install this dotpet, because Puppy lacks any form of Xorg input plugin to support touchscreen devices.

Then you must adapt my instructions to your own particular situation; in the "HOWTO - USB touchscreens" post I explained how to configure Xorg to use the "evtouch" Xorg plugin ... but this Xorg plugin is not necessarily compatible with your touchscreen!
I think (??) that your touchscreen plugin will be "fujitsu", not evtouch.

So when you add a new InputDevice section to your /etc/X11/xorg.conf
it should look like this -

Section "InputDevice"
    Driver "fujitsu"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/event8"
EndSection
Save.
Then restart X (Ctrl < Alt > backspace) after every configuration change.

Of course, the usbtouchscreen and evdev kernel modules must also be loaded.

vaskoiii

#31 Post by vaskoiii »

@tempestuous

NO Luck:
xorg just goes to a black screen. Am I missing something?

Package installed but no menu entry:
touchscreen-Puppy4.1.pet

modules.conf:
#after running alsaconf, stuff gets appended...
alias char-major-13-67 evdev

rc.local:
modprobe usbtouchscreen
modprobe evdev

xorg.conf:
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "X.org Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "dummy"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "touchscreen"
Driver "fujitsu"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event8"
Option "MinX" "98"
Option "MinY" "43"
Option "MaxX" "940"
Option "MaxY" "925"
Option "ReportingMode" "Raw"
Option "Emulate3Buttons"
Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "On"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "dummy"
Driver "void"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
EndSection

# Perhaps this link can help to for configuration of the p1120:
http://sifter.org/~simon/journal/20030911.html

vaskoiii

#32 Post by vaskoiii »

Fujitsu P1120 Working!

Maybe you need the touchpanel pet file from the beginning of this forum still but after that all you need is...

In:
/etc/X11/xorg.conf
Under:
Section "ServerLayout"
Add:

Also add the following:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "touchscreen"
Driver "evdev"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/js0"
EndSection

Now you will need to download and use Joytouch:
http://sifter.org/~simon/journal/ims/20 ... ch-1.2.tgz

All you have to do is:
chmod 777 runjoy
./runjoy

Note: I typed all this out by hand so there might be some typos and you will also probably want to have it load the following on startup:
./runjoy

I didn't cover that here yet... I spent forever trying to configure this... and I just wanted something up that works for the P1120!

All I need now is to figure out how to run this script on startup.
rc.local doesn't seem to work with:
/root/joytouch-1.2/runjoy

flickerfly

#33 Post by flickerfly »

I'm trying to figure out how to get my touchscreen on this MSI Pennote 3100 working. I have looked at the manual and website, but haven't found much more than information identifying it as a touchscreen.

I can't seem to identify who made the device or anything. I guess it simply runs through the motherboard's PS/2 port from what I've derived from /proc/bus/input/devices. Is there any other way to identify it?

Having read through this, is it correct that Puppy doesn't support any PS/2 touchscreens or just some? I'm a bit confused.

tempestuous

#34 Post by tempestuous »

flickerfly wrote:is it correct that Puppy doesn't support any PS/2 touchscreens
Correct.

Aitch

#35 Post by Aitch »

Hi tempestuous/other interesteds

untested, but couldn't PS2 to USB adapter be used....?
Older computer monitors that offered touch screen capabilities often used a PS/2 interface to transmit the coordinates touched on the monitor to the computer. Touch screens work in a very similar way to a mouse, with the actual screen coordinates replacing mouse movement data and tapping on the screen replacing mouse clicks. In some cases, a touch screen that uses the PS/2 interface may have a pass-through that also allows you to use a mouse with your touch screen. However, the touch screen would likely have priority in cases of conflicts between mouse input and screen input. How this works will depend on the how the hardware and software of the touch screen are designed. Older touch screens use the PS/2 interface. More modern touch screens use USB.
http://www.ehow.co.uk/list_6311834_uses ... ector.html

Some clever clogs may try their own connections ps2>usb

http://pinouts.ru/InputCables/usb_ps2_m ... nout.shtml

[Info gathered whilst researching Car PC project]

However check out Chinese touchscreens [usb solderless] for EEEPC etc on ebay....they're getting cheap!!

HTH

Aitch :)

tempestuous

#36 Post by tempestuous »

Aitch wrote:untested, but couldn't PS2 to USB adapter be used....?
Maybe, I don't know. Certainly the touchscreen events will appear at the USB bus of the Puppy computer, but there's no guarantee that the nature of these events (which would normally be interpreted by extended driver code in the Linux PS/2 driver) will be recognised by the usbtouchscreen module in Puppy.

I have asked Barry to include PS/2 touchscreen support in future kernels -
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01682

CoronelN

Panasonic CF-73 Laptop touchscreen... can't make it work

#37 Post by CoronelN »

Hello all, I recently discovered puppy and been toying with it for a few days now, I took my old Panasonic Toughbook CF-73 which i use mostly to connect to a LCD tv and watch movies killed winXP and put a puppy into it... it all works and looks nice, i can access the samba shares faster than from a win machine and life is good... so I tried to make the touchscreen work as it is a nice options to control the film from the bed how lazy i am...

Anyway, i followed the instructions here and in some other posts and invented some... to no avail i cannot make it work...

The laptop on windows finds the touchscreen as a serial device on com port 7, and the hardware identifier is: FJC5000 which i assume is a Fujitsu...

I am running puppy 511 and used the .pet in the first post for the closes version 4xx something... edited the xorg.conf in all possible ways:
used eventXX, ttySXX, all.. and no matter what the touchscreen remains irresponsive...

any help or advice will be much appreciated

thanks!
N

tempestuous

#38 Post by tempestuous »

CoronelN wrote:I am running puppy 511 and used the .pet in the first post for the closes version 4xx something...
That was wrong. I suggest you delete the entire /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/input/ directory.
Puppy 5.1.x already contains the necessary touchscreen Xorg plugins at /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input

Now see the next post.

tempestuous

#39 Post by tempestuous »

Fujitsu Toughbooks
Apparently there was a range of different touchscreen devices across the Toughbook range, some on the serial port, some USB. You will need to Google to find our which touchscreen driver components each Toughbook requires.

The Toughbook CF-73 has an "SMK" serial touchscreen device, which requires the fairly conventional "evtouch" Xorg input plugin, but also a special kernel module called "toughbooksmk", plus a special utility called "inputattach".
Puppy 5.1 already contains the evtouch plugin, but here are the other 2 components.
The source code (which I needed to hack) was obtained from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/toughbooksmk/

Instructions:
First set up the evtouch plugin as per the serial setup instructions earlier in this thread
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 651#295651
The difference will be:
In section 2b, the two modules to load at bootup are "toughbooksmk" and "evdev".
In section 4, your "Driver" value will be "evtouch".
In section 5, the extra command to add to /etc/rc.d/rc.local is

inputattach -smk /dev/ttyS4
Cross your fingers and reboot.

If no success, it may be that the Puppy kernel image needs to be replaced (??), too, because while I was compiling the toughbooksmk kernel module I noticed that the patchfile updated the kernel's serial include files.
Attachments
toughbooksmk-k2.6.33.2.pet
for Puppy 5.1/5.2
(8.89 KiB) Downloaded 738 times

CoronelN

#40 Post by CoronelN »

tempestuous, thanks for the reply, I did as you told me and crossed my fingers, however now i only get a black screen when i start Xwin...

I am trying to figure out how to solve that.

Here is what i did:

tried to delete the files in
/usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/input/
the window just froze and the files did not delete.

Q: the are a lot of files in there also are you sure i need to delete them all?
(What i did was to copy them elsewhere and deleted them from the console)

Then i Downloaded the .pet at the end of your post (I assumed it had the files you mention in the post

Did the edits as per your post.

Crossed my fingers and restarted...

Result black screen....

I did a inputattch -debug /dev/ttySX until i found that /dev/ttyS2 gives me gibberish in the console when i press the touchscreen... so i assume the TS is on ttyS2 not in 4... anyway when i run from the console

inputattach -smk /dev/ttyS2 it just sits there doing nothing...

I've also tried inputattach -fjs as Windows finds the TS to be a fujitsu fjc5000...

do you have any more advice?

once i succeed in having X11 start i will try to fiddle a bit with your instructions...

thanks!

BTW: i left the laptop with an Ironbrowser window open and there was a video embeed in one page and the laptop refused to throttle down the CPU even thou the video was not playing curious about it i ran a top from the console and the flashlib.so was using 90% cpu time even thou nothing was happening in the PC... i selectively closed Iron tabs until by closing the one with the video embeeded the cpu when to idle and flashlib stopped using it.... would that be considered a bug? should i report it somewherE ?