Gnome 2.20.3 SFS (Only for Puppy4)

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
QBall2U

#121 Post by QBall2U »

Has anyone tried using the sfsconvert version converter utility on the gnome-2.20.3test02_400.sfs to convert it to whatever version of the filesystem they are using (i.e. squashfs 3.0 to squashfs 4.0) THEN changing the '_400' to, say '_420' or '_430'?

Just curious if that would work? :? I mean, if it was made using Dingo (puppy 4.0) for a squashfs 3.0, would converting it to squashfs 4.0 (like we do for other .sfs file groups) work?

Thanks! :wink:
Pup 4.30 live-cd (1.6GiB save) on IBM Thinkpad R32, Intel P4 Mobile CPU 1.6 GHz, 256 MiB RAM, Intersil Prism 2.5 wavelan chipset, ATI Tech. Radeon Mobility M6 LY video controller.

Puppy Search: [url]http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html[/url]

hexdef101

#122 Post by hexdef101 »

yes and it converts perfectly

heri.neutrino

#123 Post by heri.neutrino »

how to install gnomenu and dockbarx in gnome?

xileros

#124 Post by xileros »

i guess i'm just missing something but how would one go about getting this sfs working on a full install of 525?

i tried on 520 but it just played funny colors and offsets..
[img]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w178/DoctaX/xileros-sig.png[/img]

jonrpick

#125 Post by jonrpick »

Agreed... I'd love to see Gnome on Puppy. I realize some may see that as adding something rather "bloated" to a very slim distro, but overall, it would still be far smaller than say, Fedora...

Eyes-Only

#126 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi folks,

Well... like WOW has posted this .sfs is originally for the 4.00 Puppy Series actually ( and I'm posting from it now by the way ). Puppy 5 and up uses a different version of squashfs if I remember correctly, hence why you folks are seeing "splashy colours" and whatnot when booting and trying to load the Gnome.sfs file. See, I went and tried mounting it without converting it and ditto - that's exactly what happened to me as well! ;)

However! I went and changed the .sfs file over to the newer "version" of squashfs which I believe is 4 ( this was made in version 3 ).

The results for me? It still failed to work in any of my 5 and up Series. One would have to install an entirely new Gnome from the Lucid repos into LucidPup-5+ and hope that would work, the biggest reason being that in this package - I believe at least - there's a MAJOR mismatch between GTK2.0 versions ( among several other problems of course ).

Where I've gone and have installed so many window managers - plus a few desktop environments - straight from the Ubuntu Lucid repos and directly into LucidPup-5+ via the PPM all without any ill effect whatsoever, it would be interesting "someday" to do a bare, frugal, install and just test a Gnome desktop install... just to see what would happen, eh? :D ( Just for an idea? The "Trinity Desktop" - the former "KDE-3.5.10" - installs and works flawlessly, and with a lot of attention Synaptic/aptget may likewise be added for even further software fun. )

So many projects... so little time left! LOL!

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

DM was on fire!

#127 Post by DM was on fire! »

It really might just be easier for someone to try and make a new version of GNOME. lol
I'd love to run GNOME on a Puppy drive (Xfce is nice but I like GNOME), so if anyone's looking for beta testers just give me a wrong.

mini-jaguar

#128 Post by mini-jaguar »

Wow, I actually got this to work, and in 4.3.1 (frugal) no less.

What I did is follow the instructions in the original post, except:
1. I converted the SFS to 4.3.1 using the included Convert SFS utility.
2. Changed the name of the SFS to have "431" at the end.
3. The Dingo-Xorg-DRI.pet is no longer available, so I used the xorg_xorg_full_dri-7.3.pet from the Puppy 4 repository.
Note: xorg_xorg_dri-7.3-1.pet from the same repository does not work properly. I've tried this too and it's missing too many components.

It does have a few (minor) problems:
1. A few of the applications do not have icons in the menus (but they work), and also the JWM settings show up in the menus (and obviously do not work in Gnome).
2. During bootup there's these weird repeated messages in text about the CD ROM and removable devices. Ignore them. USB devices work.
3. You can't shut down using the normal button. If you press shut down or re-boot in the shut down menu it won't work. Instead you have choose shut down but don't press any of the options, wait for it to count down 60 seconds. You'll then get thrown into text mode and you can type "poweroff" or "reboot".

It is now possible to save files directly on the desktop. What I didn't like is that now a lot of things require double clicks and I couldn't find an option to use single clicks like in most Puppies.

Eyes-Only

#129 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Mini-Jaguar,

As for your mouse and setting it to "single click", you should be able to go into "system>preferences>mouse" and I believe it's in there you can set for left/right hand mouse, as well as whether or not you'd like single or double clicks.

I find it rather odd, however, about the menu items from JWM not having their icons in the Gnome desktop as well as not working in Gnome. I'm using WOW's Gnome in Puppy-4.2.1 and it works perfectly! All the programmes from JWM work in Gnome and vice-versa while only a few icons are absent - I could probably count them on one hand even.

I wished - and often asked several people well-acquainted with the process - that a real "Gnome-Pup" could have been built. ( The one mentioned in my sigfile is actually a joke as it's Puppy-4.2.1 running WOW's Gnome, along with several window managers too. )

I wished I could help but this is about as much as I can do for now. My apologies...

Amicalement/In Friendship,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

mini-jaguar

#130 Post by mini-jaguar »

It wasn't a lot of icons missing, I think 21 or 22 I counted them, I would say about 95% of the icons are there, and it's not what I'm worried about since I need to learn to install icons in Gnome.

The JWM utilities had icons, but they didn't do anything, I don't see what changing the wallpaper or icons in JWM would do in Gnome anyways.

The shutdown problem is kind of weird (not that there isn't the workaround). And also I'm not sure how to go about removing removable drives now, just unmount? There's no remove and it posted some warning about removing my USB stick once and it was actually unmounted.

If 4.2.1 doesn't have these problems I might try that instead.

The mouse options just had double-click timeout, I found an applet to do the single click but I still have to learn to compile programs. It's not a burning issue though, I can live with the double-click until I figure it out.

I'm also curious as to how it would handle Toutou in Gnome. It's 4.3.1 but heavily modified. I'm almost out of CDs though, I probably have to go buy CDs. Again...

O.k., thanks for your help.

mini-jaguar

#131 Post by mini-jaguar »

I tried Toutou, but it had the same shutdown problem as the regular 4.3.1. Plus some Gnome-only menu entries are in English (annoying if the os is not in English). But Toutou is nice without Gnome.

4.2.1 (retro) is indeed better and shuts down normally. Plus it has fewer missing icons, maybe 3-4 less than with 4.3.1.