Insidious Puppy 001

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Karl Godt

AUFS already patched source

#161 Post by Karl Godt »

Finally it seems that I have found a solution for the aufs :

http://git.c3sl.ufpr.br/gitweb?p=aufs/a ... ;a=summary

HEADS > lists kernels with already aufs insinde !

4 months ago aufs2-35 shortlog | log | tree

click TREE for

http://git.c3sl.ufpr.br/gitweb?p=aufs/a ... b=aufs2-35

At the TOP PART of that page click SNAPSHOT to download the 90 Mb source .

Evacuate it from the pupsave and gunzip and tar -xf it from the terminal ... Xarchive takes awfully long ... after felt several minutes I clicked cancel ....

I had a short look into it : fs/aufs is inside .

At the moment there is running make modules on another machine :

While concentrating on the Language part ( found at filesystems ) , the <*> Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers ---> , Graphics support ---> and <M> Sound card support ,
I forgot a lot of USB and similar drivers ( flash, CF and so on ).

Kernel 2.6.37-7-i486 became 4.3 Mb and was filling 170-180 Mb Ram on a full install after bootup ...
The LoadAverage is also a little more than slightly higher as on normal Puppies : 0.3 to 0.7 against 0.01 to 0.5 . While doing hard work like compiling large source it is normal : 1.4
The old Serial Mouse is working and Sound is Ok.
It really appears to me that 2.6.34 has got sound card problems.

Best wishes for the new part of the longering of the days (New Year) and a best health besides the fortunate "illnesses" that lead to stay away from difficult situations .

drblock2

Repairing grub

#162 Post by drblock2 »

Valinote,

You can repair the Ubuntu grub using the puppy live cd. Just follow the instructions here:

http://roshan18.wordpress.com/2008/02/0 ... ot-loader/

Iguleder

#163 Post by Iguleder »

Back home after two weeks of training, my chest feels harder :lol:

I don't have any time to work on Insidious or Puppy, at least for now. If everything goes according to my plan A, the basic training will end in two weeks. Maybe I'll have some spare time by then.

Sorry! :cry:
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

nooby

#164 Post by nooby »

Valinote , Shinobar's grub4dosconfig will most likely repair ubuntu too and get puppy going in one action so no need to have a CD with puppy on it.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Karl Godt

#165 Post by Karl Godt »

NOPE : /aufs2-2.6-refs_heads_aufs2-35.tar

the git source has got a

config AUFS_FS
bool "Aufs (Advanced multi layered unification filesystem) support"

while it should be

config AUFS_FS
tristate "Aufs (Advanced multi layered unification filesystem) support"

to get AUFS as module ... otherwise with bool you have only the choice between implemented into the kernel or not.

after I changed bool to tristate I got these errors&halt after a long time ( +1 hour ( sata , 2.2 GHz , 1G ram ))
OBJCOPY arch/x86/boot/vmlinux.bin
HOSTCC arch/x86/boot/tools/build
BUILD arch/x86/boot/bzImage
Root device is (0, 12)
Setup is 13724 bytes (padded to 13824 bytes).
System is 6795 kB
CRC 66a7b4e
Kernel: arch/x86/boot/bzImage is ready (#1)
Building modules, stage 2.
MODPOST 2806 modules
ERROR: "security_path_chmod" [fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "fsnotify_add_mark" [fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "security_inode_readlink" [fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "security_path_rename" [fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "deny_write_access" [fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "security_file_permission" [fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "security_path_symlink" [fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "do_truncate" [fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "do_splice_from" [fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "security_path_unlink" [fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "fsnotify_put_group" [fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "lookup_hash" [fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "fsnotify_find_mark_entry" [fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "security_path_mkdir" [fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "fsnotify_init_mark" [fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "fsnotify_obtain_group" [fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "security_path_truncate" [fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "security_file_mmap" [fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "security_inode_permission" [fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "do_splice_to" [fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "fsnotify_destroy_mark_by_entry" [fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "__lookup_one_len" [fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "fsnotify_put_mark" [fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "security_path_link" [fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "security_path_chown" [fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "security_path_rmdir" [fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
WARNING: modpost: Found 108 section mismatch(es).
To see full details build your kernel with:
'make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y'
make[1]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
make: *** [modules] Error 2

Q5sys

Re: Insidious Puppy 001

#166 Post by Q5sys »

Iguleder wrote:Insidious Puppy 001

Credit for the name goes to pemas and the credit for the logo goes to its original creator; I just modified it.

Hey man, your puplet looks good. I like your fangy logo too. :P
Glad someone was able to take the fangy idea I had for Attackpup V1 back in May and use it for their own ideas. You know who made the original round puppy logo?

Valinote

#167 Post by Valinote »

I finally gave up trying to get inpu installed. Rather did a full install of lupu-242. Had to use my Ubuntu live cd to get the grub setup and working though. But all is well now. Runs great on this laptop. Cools temps and reasonable battery life. Thanks to everyone for their patience and kind advice.

-Steve D

pemasu

#168 Post by pemasu »

I made woof build using latest woof and Iguleders specs of Insidious 002. It uses kernel 2.6.35.7 which I have compiled. I just added for better laptop behavior my made frisbee-001.pet and jemimah_acpi-001.pet so that wireless and laptop behavior is handled better with Jemimah`s latest wireless tool and laptop working is better. And I added rox_right_clicks pet also.

Alsaconf still does not find devices. Audio works though. There are duplicate icons in menu which I track how they are there. Maybe easiest solution is to do zz_squuze-001.pet and just remove them during building.

But hey, it works and uses mostly debian sid packages.

nooby

#169 Post by nooby »

pemasu when you say "I made ..." then you refer to this download?

Insidious Puppy 001, released November 28, built with the November 28 Woof (the one used with Luci 240 and Quirky 1.4, with the zzz PET) -
ISO: inpu-001.iso

Or do you refer to what you have done at home and not uploaded for us to test?

pemasu

#170 Post by pemasu »

This test is made using latest woof and latest sid packages by downloading them and then building insidious 002 using Iguleders specs for it and using my kernel. But it is not tested so far to publish it.

pemasu

#171 Post by pemasu »

I have now tested insidious 002 with specs and templates uploaded by Iguleder.
I made some minor hacks to basic build. I included frisbee for better laptop net connections and also laptop scripts. They are from fluppy010. Thank you jemimah. Yours scripts work great. Fn + button combination got some new functions. Test Fn + play button for example.
Also iceape is changed to firefox 3.6.13. Why..... because I wish. My thunderbird usage needs firefox as its friend and firefox browser is what I use mostly. Cups package is from woof. I wasnt sure if sid packages works, didnt make my printer to sing. Oh... the build also has mine kernel 2.6.35.7. Cause my laptop needs newer kernel than 2.6.32 which was with Insidious 001.

And this build is not official/unofficial build by Iguleder. It is just my build using Iguleders great templates and specs, latest debian sid packages and latest woof apps. Most things come from debian sid. Iguleders specs are from here:
http://brainwavedesigncentral.net/dima/inpu-002/

If you want to test another debian sid flavor, give this one go. This build is using Iguleders specs so I made annoucement here. I also promised Iguleder to test build 002 so here it is. But I can move it to other place also. I just thought there might come some suggestions which would be useful for next official Iguleder build.

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Insidious002-pemasu/

Karl Godt

#172 Post by Karl Godt »

Finally it seems that I had learned to work with make menuconfig : Take your time ... even days and recheck the entries several times because it looks to me that menuconfig enables, disables or changes the integrated to modules or the opposite if you hit one "wrong" key .

Using Barrys Dotconfig without changing anything is also a relatively safe choice.

I compiled 2.6.35.7 using the luci 2.6.33.2 DOTconfig because it is on the main page at kernel.org at the moment but this also had a relatively high load average between 0.3 and 0.8 doing nothing.

Now I made this workaround :
DL the kernel snapshot from http://git.c3sl.ufpr.br/gitweb?p=aufs/a ... aufs2.1-34

DL the small standalone snapshot from http://git.c3sl.ufpr.br/gitweb?p=aufs/a ... aufs2.1-34

Apllied the aufs2-standalone/aufs2-standalone.patch at the big source to prevent the compile errors already mentioned.

Changed manually /aufs2-2.6/fs/aufs/Kconfig
tristate "Aufs (Advanced multi layered unification filesystem) support"

and
/aufs2-2.6/fs/aufs/loop.c
int au_test_loopback_overlap(struct super_block *sb, struct dentry *h_adding)
{
struct super_block *h_sb;
struct loop_device *l;
return 0;
h_sb = h_adding->d_sb;
if (MAJOR(h_sb->s_dev) != LOOP_MAJOR)
return 0;

Applied the DOTconfig-2.6.32.26-23102010 from iguleder and modified it :

Tip : use lzma like the 2.6.30.5 > makes the kernel really smaller
CONFIG_KERNEL_LZMA=y

I checked that all
<*> Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers ---> are integrated to mount the HDs
{M} RAID Transport Class
-*- SCSI device support
[*] legacy /proc/scsi/ support
<*> SCSI disk support
<*> SCSI CDROM support
[*] Enable vendor-specific extensions (for SCSI CDROM)
<*> SCSI generic support
[*] SCSI low-level drivers ---> all as modules
< > ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support (DEPRECATED) --->
[*] Block devices ---> all as modules
[ ] Maintain a devtmpfs filesystem to mount at /dev ..seems to be a feature that erases /dev at bootup and creates a new /dev with the actual needed or demanded devices
[ ] enable deprecated sysfs features to support old userspace tools
[ ] Configure standard kernel features (for small systems) ---> EMBEDDED kernels for PCI-modem-cards for example
[ ] Support for big SMP systems with more than 8 CPUs
[ ] Support for extended (non-PC) x86 platforms
Processor family (486) --->
[*] Generic x86 support
[ ] PentiumPro memory ordering errata workaround
[ ] Support for old Pentium 5 / WinChip machine checks
[*] Enable X86 board specific fixups for reboot
<M> /dev/cpu/microcode - microcode support
<M> /dev/cpu/*/msr - Model-specific register support
<M> /dev/cpu/*/cpuid - CPU information support
[ ] Math emulation
[*] Build a relocatable kernel
[*] Built-in kernel command line
(panic=56) Built-in kernel command string
[ ] Built-in command line overrides boot loader arguments

<*> Second extended fs support
<*> Ext3 journalling file system support
<*> The Extended 4 (ext4) filesystem ...otherwise the kernel can not mount the FS to load additional needed modules (one .config of CrunchBang8.10 has them as modules (kernel 2.6.27.9))
<M> FUSE (Filesystem in Userspace) support
<*> NTFS file system support
-*- /proc file system support
[*] Virtual memory file system support (former shm fs)
<M> SquashFS 4.0 - Squashed file system support
<M> Aufs (Advanced multi layered unification filesystem) support
-*- Native language support ---> .. don't forget this : defaults + <M>

[ ] Ext2 extended attributes
[ ] Ext3 extended attributes
[ ] Ext4 extended attributes
... is mounting and running but I think I will have to test more
# uname -a
Linux puppypc 2.6.34-KRG-i486 #3 SMP Fri Dec 31 05:10:23 GMT-8 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

tubeguy

#173 Post by tubeguy »

Iguleder wrote:Back home after two weeks of training, my chest feels harder :lol:

I don't have any time to work on Insidious or Puppy, at least for now. If everything goes according to my plan A, the basic training will end in two weeks. Maybe I'll have some spare time by then.

Sorry! :cry:
HEY! Man I just saw this post, glad you're checking back in! Nice to have some spare time when not kicking ass. ;-)
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

James C

#174 Post by James C »

pemasu wrote:I have now tested insidious 002 with specs and templates uploaded by Iguleder.
I made some minor hacks to basic build. I included frisbee for better laptop net connections and also laptop scripts. They are from fluppy010. Thank you jemimah. Yours scripts work great. Fn + button combination got some new functions. Test Fn + play button for example.
Also iceape is changed to firefox 3.6.13. Why..... because I wish. My thunderbird usage needs firefox as its friend and firefox browser is what I use mostly. Cups package is from woof. I wasnt sure if sid packages works, didnt make my printer to sing. Oh... the build also has mine kernel 2.6.35.7. Cause my laptop needs newer kernel than 2.6.32 which was with Insidious 001.

And this build is not official/unofficial build by Iguleder. It is just my build using Iguleders great templates and specs, latest debian sid packages and latest woof apps. Most things come from debian sid. Iguleders specs are from here:

If you want to test another debian sid flavor, give this one go. This build is using Iguleders specs so I made annoucement here. I also promised Iguleder to test build 002 so here it is. But I can move it to other place also. I just thought there might come some suggestions which would be useful for next official Iguleder build.

Thanks for building and uploading 002. :)

Live pfix=ram in my main Linux box.....unable to start X.
Tried the default "nouveau" and "nv" drivers as well as "vesa".....no go. Just keeps returning to a prompt.

VGA compatible controller : nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev c1)

Moved along to my old P3 test box ,again live pfix+ram, with onboard Intel i810 graphics and no problems at all. Everything working on initial boot.
Now I can check everything out..... :lol:

nooby

#175 Post by nooby »

Iguleder Happy New Year to you.

Your Inpu was on par with Fluppy on my Acer D250 but now your on third place after Pemasu's Snowy Puppy and both of you seems to have made use of knowledge from Jemimah so she is the Champion on small Netbooks and how to get Puppie going on them. Fluppy works best for me.

James C

#176 Post by James C »

James C wrote:
pemasu wrote:I have now tested insidious 002 with specs and templates uploaded by Iguleder.

Thanks for building and uploading 002. :)

Live pfix=ram in my main Linux box.....unable to start X.
Tried the default "nouveau" and "nv" drivers as well as "vesa".....no go. Just keeps returning to a prompt.

VGA compatible controller : nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev c1)

Moved along to my old P3 test box ,again live pfix+ram, with onboard Intel i810 graphics and no problems at all. Everything working on initial boot.
Now I can check everything out..... :lol:
Can't locate the "nv" driver......... may explain part of the problem.........
Attachments
video drivers.png
(7.58 KiB) Downloaded 1140 times

nooby

#177 Post by nooby »

I wil ltry out Pemasu's 002 too his Snowy Puppy worked real good.

pemasu

#178 Post by pemasu »

/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers-alternate/nv_drv.so

so it is moved by woof build to drivers-alternate. But nv driver is there anyway, should i move it under drivers manually when woof building ?

EDIT: No, xorgwizard sees drivers in alternate location also.
Last edited by pemasu on Fri 31 Dec 2010, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#179 Post by nooby »

Pemasu, your inpu-002 works good but on my Acer D250 with two monitors it needs to be in 800x600 to do full screen on F11 on the biggest Monitor. Some puppy like Fluppy allow that on 1024x762 but 002 change that to x600 and leave a big part of the screen unused.

Igyleder's Gray fail to recognize my USB Mouse which both inpu one and two do.

James C

#180 Post by James C »

pemasu wrote:
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers-alternate/nv_drv.so

so it is moved by woof build to drivers-alternate. But nv driver is there anyway, should i move it under drivers manually when woof building ?

EDIT: No, xorgwizard sees drivers in alternate location also.
I don't know what the problem is but..... booted up live now ......X will not start with any of the 3 drivers, everything goes to a prompt.
Working fine on this box with Intel graphics though.