Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 30 Jul 2014, 01:06
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
What are Puppy's minimum system requirements?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 4 [48 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
necromatic

PostPosted: Sat 01 Jan 2011, 22:01    Post subject:  What are Puppy's minimum system requirements?  

Hi i'm new here and i am wonder what are the minimum system requirements for lucid and wary, so i can choose the best for my system

greetings!
Shep

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jan 2011, 01:33    Post subject: Re: system Requirement  

necromatic wrote:
Hi i'm new here and i am wonder what are the minimum system requirements for lucid and wary, so i can choose the best for my system

Welcome to Puppy Linux! Cool Laughing Cool

At least 256 MB of RAM seems standard for comfortable running of most puppies, though more RAM is better. I'm not sure about Lucid. Have you looked at the thread here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=63251

Might be better if you stated what your system is.

Speed: probably no minimum, but 600 MHz runs okay. You'll want to store some stuff, and install more packages, as well as the puppy files, so a HD of 1 GB or more would be good. (Less will work, but is it going to be very useful? Maybe 256 MB would be the absolute minimum.) You don't need a CD drive, puppy can be installed on the HD or run from a USB flash drive.

Not very demanding really, is it? I'm pretty sure that Puppy can run entirely off the USB drive, you don't in fact even need a hard drive.

I believe the developer of Wary is making a point of being able to accommodate every available wireless modem, should that be relevant to you.
Bruce B

PostPosted: Mon 03 Jan 2011, 23:33    Post subject:  

The problem is we aren't an unscrupulous marketing company like Microsoft.
We lack the incentive or financial motivation to lie to you.

If we were, the minimum specs could change, it might be like this:
    Minimum specs for Puppy is a 386 computer with 2MB RAM.
    Pay 89.95 at the register.

~

RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jan 2011, 00:32    Post subject:  

Bruce B wrote:
The problem is we aren't an unscrupulous marketing company like Microsoft.
We lack the incentive or financial motivation to lie to you.

If we were, the minimum specs could change, it might be like this:
    Minimum specs for Puppy is a 386 computer with 2MB RAM.
    Pay 89.95 at the register.

~

I thought that Linux always required 4MB of RAM... Laughing And yes, years ago a friend and I had a server running on a 386-20 with 4MB RAM... She was dog-slow...but provided a common outbound dialup line for the house.

In answer to the OP, I have a 333MHz laptop running Puppy 4.3.1 Retro. I tested it with a mere 64MB, and it functioned, but I run 256MB RAM and a 512MB swap file. It is adequate for web browsing (but not for video).

My old 750 MHz and 900 MHz desktops both work quite well. They both have 512MB RAM.

I keep my pupsaves small, usually starting at 256MB -- though my current one has crept up to 448MB (with about 80MB free). I store all of my files outside the pupsave...

And Beem, another Puppian, runs a tiny 32MB pupsave... Wowzers!

RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jan 2011, 00:37    Post subject: Re: system Requirement  

Shep wrote:
Speed: probably no minimum, but 600 MHz runs okay. You'll want to store some stuff, and install more packages, as well as the puppy files, so a HD of 1 GB or more would be good. (Less will work, but is it going to be very useful? Maybe 256 MB would be the absolute minimum.) You don't need a CD drive, puppy can be installed on the HD or run from a USB flash drive.

Many old machines don't support booting from USB. I like to use a frugal install on USB, and boot from CD as a starting system. Once you're comfortable with it, copy the pupsave and .sfs to the HDD and continue booting the CD. This also permits leaving the original OS, without mucking around with the boot record.

bodbozzle

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jan 2011, 02:32    Post subject:  

Quote:
minimum system requirements for lucid and wary

Wary for older/ less powered systems,
(Tested with 128gb ram/ Pentium III with success).

lupu/ luci for newer ones.
Dewbie

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jan 2011, 03:44    Post subject:  

bodbozzle wrote:
Quote:
Wary for older/ less powered systems,
(Tested with 128gb ram/ Pentium III with success).

128mb
Bruce B

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jan 2011, 03:56    Post subject:  

RAM recommendations

64MB RAM -- Bare minimum

Recommend turning off ROX-Filer, just use JWM, no extra applets,
background apps, use full installation, keep multi-tasking down, no
wallpaper, when using SeaMonkey, keep number of open tabs down. Also
needs a paging (swap) device.

128MB RAM -- Practical Minimum

User should use care with multi-tasking, needs a paging (swap) device.
Full install on fast media would be better install option.

256MB RAM -- Desirable Minimum

User should be happy with 'normal' computing, whatever that means.
Paging device highly recommended.

---------------------------------

Hows that?

~

Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jan 2011, 05:41    Post subject:  

RetroTechGuy wrote:
And Beem, another Puppian, runs a tiny 32MB pupsave... Wowzers!
Wink of wich I have 15MB free.

@necromatic,
Bruce B posted a very reasonable requirement.

And to add to this, I use sfs files to complement my application requirements like wine and pidgin.
Other applications like OpenOffice, FireFox, Opera, SeaMonkey, Sun Java are installed outside the save file and properly symlinked to have them integrated in the system.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
obxjerry

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jan 2011, 10:32    Post subject:  

I was going to start a new thread but, I think what I'm going to ask fits here. My wife's laptop, 800 mhz, 160mb ram is an odd bird. It's a Winbook Si and I've posted here, I think it may be haunted. It has run Puppy 431 for months with issues. Since it's an old laptop with no battery it occasionally loses power and has a hard shutdown. If 431 is fubar, I reinstall it full install.

As I said it has issues running 431. This time I thought I'd try a different Puppy and may find something it liked better. I full installed Wary 104 and 2.14x, each on it's own 1.2gb partition. They didn't last long because they both ran slow, especially 2.14x. I formatted and reinstalled 431 and it runs same as always.

I'm wondering what went wrong. Is it that 431 is the only one of the three that creates a swap file during installation? Is it that that machine only likes 431? Is it something else? If I were completely new to Puppy and installed 2.14x and it performed the way it did, I'd leave and never look back. Both CDs run fine live in a 1.3ghz, 375mb ram laptop and the md5sums were right.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup

I'd rather be sailing
RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jan 2011, 10:59    Post subject:  

obxjerry wrote:
I'm wondering what went wrong. Is it that 431 is the only one of the three that creates a swap file during installation? Is it that that machine only likes 431? Is it something else? If I were completely new to Puppy and installed 2.14x and it performed the way it did, I'd leave and never look back. Both CDs run fine live in a 1.3ghz, 375mb ram laptop and the md5sums were right.

I have noted that there is an ongoing un-clean shutdown problem (with most/all versions I've tested). This will cause eventual terminal corruption.

Set your system to "fscK' on every bootup, and patch the shutdown.

obxjerry

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jan 2011, 12:18    Post subject:  

Quote:
Set your system to "fscK' on every bootup, and patch the shutdown.

Thank you, RetroTechGuy. That is good advice and I would give that advice to someone else. I tolerate some things probably more than is smart. I have no good excuse for why I haven't done that. Somehow doing a reinstall every few months doesn't bother me. No valuable data is lost and I'm thinking it cleans out some cobwebs, a lesson Bill Gates taught me perhaps. Crying or Very sad

What does bug me is why Wary 104 and 2.14x ran so slow. Firefox ran really slow on 2.14x and I tried to replace it with Seamonkey per ttuuxxx's instructions but Seamonkey wouldn't start. That's kind of neither here or there, the OS ran slow without starting a browser.

There are things I like about Wary 104 and 2.14x so this may be a bridge to cross in my future. My concern is, if a newbie had the same results I did they may be gone in the wind right off the bat.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup

I'd rather be sailing
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jan 2011, 12:26    Post subject:  

obxjerry wrote:
I was going to start a new thread but, I think what I'm going to ask fits here. My wife's laptop, 800 mhz, 160mb ram is an odd bird. It's a Winbook Si and I've posted here, I think it may be haunted. It has run Puppy 431 for months with issues. Since it's an old laptop with no battery it occasionally loses power and has a hard shutdown. If 431 is fubar, I reinstall it full install.

As I said it has issues running 431. This time I thought I'd try a different Puppy and may find something it liked better. I full installed Wary 104 and 2.14x, each on it's own 1.2gb partition. They didn't last long because they both ran slow, especially 2.14x. I formatted and reinstalled 431 and it runs same as always.

It is never correct to hijack the thread of another poster to raise an issue of your own.
Seeing your issue, I think it's better to start a new thread.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
azstew

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jan 2011, 13:12    Post subject:  

Ram is pretty cheap right now, so load up. Puppy with 2 GB flies.
But my next laptop will have 8-12 GB. (Win7 likes RAM, and I need it for work)

In the US RAM is ~$10/GB right now.
obxjerry

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jan 2011, 13:41    Post subject:  

Quote:
It is never correct to hijack the thread of another poster to raise an issue of your own.
Seeing your issue, I think it's better to start a new thread.

Thank you, Béèm. I have wondered for some time if I was repeatedly committing a faux pas on this forum. I thought I was on topic and the OP posted only once and that was 4 days ago so posted here. I need to work on my forum etiquette. Please believe me when I tell you I appreciate your heads up. I don't mean to offend.

Thanks again.

I'd rather be sailing
Page 1 of 4 [48 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: