Opera 11 at mnt/home .pet Here

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
DaveS

#21 Post by DaveS »

Bert wrote:I guess you're looking for this?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 121#481121
That probably needs some debug work and an extra_distro_pet before it should go out Bert.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Bert

#22 Post by Bert »

DaveS wrote:
Bert wrote:I guess you're looking for this?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 121#481121
That probably needs some debug work and an extra_distro_pet before it should go out Bert.
Hi Dave,

In my enthousiasm about the great work you're doing in the browser field, I posted that link. Didn't realize it is a work in progress. Apologies.

(Also, I finally found out how to link to a specific post on the forum, in stead of to a page and wanted to show off a little :lol: )

I've been thinking about browsers-on-mnt/home...
What you propose could be called the Ferrari approach. Meaning that in a new Puppy, the browser gets installed with all the customisation ( bookmarks, extensions, themes, ect) from the original Puppy.
That is really luxurious and very nice for 'Puppy-hoppers' .But it also adds a lot of complexity.

I'm somewhat of a 'browser-hopper', always wanting to try out new versions. Also, new versions are often released for security reasons.
That's a different scenario, where ease of changing to a new browser or browser version is the most important factor.

Maybe this needs a 'Volkswagen' approach, where a new browser is simply installed ( to /mnt/home of course) as it comes from the makers. I don't mind adding my little bit of customisation. Done it so many times I could do it blindfolded by now :wink:

Wouldn't that Volkswagen approach simplify the whole undertaking? And avoid the difficulties you 've faced with your approach?

Just some thoughts from a happy end user...
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]

mikeslr

Thanks for the Link

#23 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks Bert for the link. Have downloaded DaveS's tar.gz and will examine.
Bert's Volkswagen -- Ferrari analogy. Volkswagen -- my first car was a 1958 Beatle import with a speedometer using kilometers. I had to do conversion to miles in my head to keep within the posted speed. Caution probably kept me out of trouble.
So applying caution, may I suggest that the latest and greatest incarnation of a browser may have problems or annoyances the general public may want to avoid. Love Firefox 4beta. But there's a minor annoyance that when started it reports some error of no consequence. And another that it doesn't remember my response to its question regarding being default. And another that, as yet, some of my favorite Addons aren't supported.
So I'd suggest that the latest stable version be used as the guinea pig, and delta pets be used to "upgrade" to Ferrari or otherwise.

If and when an official version change makes deltas impractical, then a pet to preserve bookmarks (and anything else preservable) while the old pet is un-installed (thru PPM would be OK) with the new pet picking up preserved data (if found).

I followed gposils development of dpup, and ttuuxx's re-development of the 2 series, and probably most of the latest derivatives. There appears to be a large number of seasoned "users" who run multiple versions of Puppy. Not having to reconfigure browsers or manually move them out of the SAVEFile would be a great benefit to them, as well as to real newbies.

So, DaveS, this is definitely a project worth pursuing. Though for Firefox, (and Chrome if you want to) there probably should be separate thread.

mikesLr
Last edited by mikeslr on Mon 03 Jan 2011, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

Opera extra distros works in Puppy 443 -- Pre 443 ?

#24 Post by mikeslr »

Just thought you should know that your Opera_extra_distros pet worked in Puppy 443.
Although I haven't tried it in 420, 412 or priors, when I was working on InfoCentral I discovered that symlinks and desktop files written in 443 weren't effective in prior series. I think it had something to do with their using different Bash versions. They had to be re-written in those series even though the wordings remained the same.

mikesLr

mikeslr

Opera_extra_distros required a prior SaveFile in dPup09

#25 Post by mikeslr »

Hi DaveS, and anyone finding this thread,

Actually, I was interested in trying out your foxyfun firefox pet after Bert provided the link. As I wanted to test on a Puplet I didn't currently have installed, I hunted thru my hard drive and found Iguleder's Squeeze 009. Installed it, and foxyfun into it. Firefox 3.6 ran but with a problem I'll get to. So I decided to install Opera_extra_distros. It didn't run at all. Examination revealed that the link to its folder on sda7 (the home partition for all my puppies and puppy related files) was broken.
The problem with foxyfun firefox was that, while it saw its own folder on sda7, I couldn't import bookmarks from a different folder there, or see any other folders on sda7.
So I rebooted, creating a Savefile. On reboot, with the Savefile loaded, both worked fine.
The above problem may only apply to Squeeze, but I figured I'd forewarn others.

mikesLr

DaveS

Re: Opera_extra_distros required a prior SaveFile in dPup09

#26 Post by DaveS »

mikeslr wrote: So I rebooted, creating a Savefile. On reboot, with the Savefile loaded, both worked fine.
The above problem may only apply to Squeeze, but I figured I'd forewarn others.

mikesLr
No Mike, I think you are quite correct. The system needs a save file. Do you like the minimal Firefox interface, or did you turn all the toolbars back on?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

mikeslr

Firefox mnt/home

#27 Post by mikeslr »

Hi DaveS:

Definitely like your Firefox minimal interface. (':)') It saved me the trouble of having to turn tool-bars off. (a) I like an uncluttered view, and (b) I only have an old 15" monitor plugged into my test-Linuxes computer. I'm not sure which is the chicken and which the egg.

By the way, as your efforts have inspired me to explore 'external' apps, What follows would be an incredibly tedious tale, if it didn't lead to (for me) a mystery.
I downloaded the iron.tar.gz --link somewhere on the forum-- and decompressed it to mnt/home which created an Iron-Linux folder. The executable was easily found and clicking it started Iron right away. It enabled me to import ONLY Firefox bookmarks. At the time I was in dPup. Switched into Lucid 511, started Iron: No bookmarks. Downloaded latest tar.gz from Iron website, deleted old Iron-Linux folder. Unpacked new tar.gz, creating new Iron-Linux folder. Booted back into dPup. Opened Iron and observed the Firefox bookmarks I had imported while using the now deleted version.
Obviously Iron, in its default set up, must be storing information somewhere on each Puplet on which its been used. Pfind "iron" disclosed nothing relevant. Pfind "chrome", the same. Only pfind "chromium" revealed what may be significant folders: /root/.cache/chromium and /root/.config/chromium. So either creating an Iron_extra_distros pet should be fairly straight-forward, or I've missed something important.

mikesLr

mikeslr

Iron mnt/home mystery solved -- maybe

#28 Post by mikeslr »

The nice thing about creating a back-up SaveFile is that you can experiment without fear of having to rebuild your system from scratch.(':D')
Not one to leave an itch uscratched, I created a folder in /mnt/home with the name "Iron-Config" and within it two folders: cache & config. (See Note below), Still in dPup, I moved its /root/.cache/chromium folder to the aforementioned cache folder, symlinked it back to /root/.cache/; and moved the /root/.config/chromium folder to the aforementioned "config" folder and symlinked it back. The operation was successful and the patient survived.
Rebooting into Lucid 511, I deleted its /root/.config/chromium folder, symlinking mnt/home/Iron-Config/config/chromium to its former place; and did similar regarding the /root/.cache/chromium folder. Iron opened and ran in Lucid 511, now disclosing the Firefox bookmarks I had only imported into dPup's Iron.
Note on the separate Iron-config folder: Creating a separate folder will make it easy to up-grade Iron. Upgrading Iron consists of (1) downloading the new tar.gz file; (2) deleting the old "Iron-Linux" folder from mnt/home; and (3) unpacking the new tar.gz to mnt/home which automatically creates a new "Iron-Linux" folder. All symlinks, desktop and related files previously created will still point to Iron's executable file, and cache and config folders.
So it should be fairly easy to create Iron_mnt_home and Iron_extra_distros pets. The real question is whether it's worth the effort. Firstly, I doubt there is any need for such pets as it takes less than five minutes to create co-ordinated Iron apps by following the above steps. Less than a minute more to drag its executable to the desktop and use its icon,
Secondly, I mentioned previously why I'm not a fan of Chrome. But, I must say this for Iron. It seems to run appreciably faster than Opera. That, however, may be the flip side of other reason I question its value. Opera comes with a pop-up blocker and the ability to install AddBlock and a fair amount of other extensions/Addons. [True, nowhere to the extent of Firefox]. Chrome, itself, has very few. And those few don't work in Iron. There were only about a dozen, of which only 3 seemed useful and of those three, one, Youtube-downloader, either didn't work, or required that I do something not obvious.
As I have a fast connection, whatever speed advantage Iron may have is insufficient to make up for its lack of added functionality.

mikesLr

DaveS, I've noticed the lack of your response to my previous post before I posted this one. Hope my mention of stretching legs and getting a drink hasn't given you the idea that your not expected to be here 24/7.(':lol:').

Well, if we don't touch base before then, Happy New Year.

Mike

DaveS

#29 Post by DaveS »

Happy New Year Mike and all. We have guests this weekend, thus my lack of activity on the forum. Will be active again from Monday on...
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#30 Post by DaveS »

Small but crucial point... if you need to print from you browser, stuff like Boarding Passes, receipts etc., dont bother with Opera. Its hopeless.......
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

TheAsterisk!

#31 Post by TheAsterisk! »

DaveS wrote:Small but crucial point... if you need to print from you browser, stuff like Boarding Passes, receipts etc., dont bother with Opera. Its hopeless.......
Why do you say that? I'm using a different dot-pet, but printing works just fine for me from Opera. (EDIT: I should specify- Opera 11.00, Lucid 511.)
Last edited by TheAsterisk! on Tue 04 Jan 2011, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.

DaveS

#32 Post by DaveS »

TheAsterisk! wrote:
DaveS wrote:Small but crucial point... if you need to print from you browser, stuff like Boarding Passes, receipts etc., dont bother with Opera. Its hopeless.......
Why do you say that? I'm using a different dot-pet, but printing works just fine for me from Opera.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=63578
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#33 Post by DaveS »

TheAsterisk! wrote:
Why do you say that? I'm using a different dot-pet, but printing works just fine for me from Opera.
Here is a typical sample:

So what is that about then!
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

TheAsterisk!

#34 Post by TheAsterisk! »

DaveS wrote:So what is that about then!
I think I may have discovered what I'm doing differently (without even thinking about it) that gives me better results.
I save webpages as MHTML files, then later open those and then print everything I need at once. It seems to make a difference.

I've attached a wonky PDF that's printed/exported directly from a view of the forum, and then I've attached a PDF printed from a saved *.mht of the same thread page. (They're both in an archive, since the forum doesn't allow PDF attachments.) The "bad" direct-print copy isn't as dramatic as your example, but there is a noticeable difference.

I'm going to go try it out on a few other sites and see if saving to *.mht files before printing might not be a decent work-around.

EDIT: I tried it out on Techrights.org, and it seemed to help preserve the site layout there, too. Images were a little low-res, but not distorted or marred like your screenshot.
Opera's printing still won't win any awards for image fidelity, but it's better than nothing.

Might want to give this method a try. Nothing to lose, after all.
Attachments
opera_printing.tar.bz2
Sample PDFs for direct printing & printing from saved *.mht
(161.39 KiB) Downloaded 388 times

Henry

#35 Post by Henry »

Hello,

I just posted the following here, which appeared but seems to have been removed. I recovered it from "view my posts." Mystified, what happened?

Henry
I went to the Opera support site and picked one of the many strings on printing problems:

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/to ... ?id=783492

Take a moment to read this and you won't be looking in Puppy for the problem.

Henry

Opera perpetual printing problem

#36 Post by Henry »

Hello,

I just posted the following here, which appeared but seems to have been removed. I recovered it from "view my posts." Mystified, what happened?

Henry
I went to the Opera support site and picked one of the many strings on printing problems:

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/to ... ?id=783492

DaveS

#37 Post by DaveS »

Henry.. I guess you can see your posts are blank. Using Opera? :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Henry

#38 Post by Henry »

DaveS wrote:Henry.. I guess you can see your posts are blank. Using Opera? :)
Yes, my published post was deleted, and attempts to repeat it were blanked. I don't know what's going on. Perhaps a moderator is playing games. Wish someone would explain.

Henry

Bert

#39 Post by Bert »

Henry wrote:Hello,

Henry

This is what I see, when clicking "quote" on your first post and remove the link in your text. Some links cause trouble in the forum it seems..
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]

Henry

#40 Post by Henry »

Bert wrote: This is what I see, when clicking "quote" on your first post and remove the link in your text. Some links cause trouble in the forum it seems..
Thanks, Bert, but this does not explain it for me. The message I originally posted has appeared, disappeared, my followups appeared with the body removed, my original message again appeared without the followups and later disappeared, the followups returning. Nothing like this has ever happened in my previous 600 some posts. I've wasted too much time on it; I don't like it. Let's see if this post survives.