Snow Puppy 020 with more apps, fonts and themes

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

Snow Puppy 020 with more apps, fonts and themes

#1 Post by pemasu »

Snow Puppy-020 with 2.6.35.7 kernel is released. It consists of bug fixes, updates and also new applications.

Snow Puppy-020 uses 25.5.2011 woof with minor modifications.

Download link: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/SnowPuppy-020/

Thanks to many testers and constructive feedback. Keep them coming :)

Snow Puppy 020.
Download link: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/SnowPuppy-020/

kernel_src-2.6.35.7-patched-lupe5.sfs

Ice Puppy-020 with 2.6.38.4 kernel
Snow Puppy logo is designed by magnificent afgs. My wholehearted thanks.

Some of included applications:
From woof sfsget with menu launching in setup.
For compiling and pet making, there is pupconf (puppy spesific ./configure), strippkg, newer strippkg2 ( advancecomp and optipng recompression apps are included ), splitpkpg for splitting, alien2puppy, unrar and unrpm

Usbmodeswitch 1.1.7 with usmodeswitch data from Barry Kauler.
Resize savefile uDownload link:Download link:eDownload link:Dpdated. You can choose up to 8 Gb savefile. Thanks Big Bass
Default Programs Chooser added Thanks sc0ttman
GoNGetIt command line ubuntu packages downloader added
Deskset Templates for icons Thanks 01micko
PupClockset 1.4 thanks radky
pClock updated
Umplayer 0.95 with youtube video and shoutcast radio properties. Thanks stu90.
Firefox 4.0.1 Flashplayer will be prompted for download at first usage.
Latest parcellite-1.0.2rc2
Thunar filemanager 1.02
Abiword 2.90. Thanks Ttuuxxx
Gnumeric 1.10.13. Thanks Ttuuxxx
Aqualung R-1142
Gimp 7.1 (single window mode possibility). Thanks Dejan555
Pets2sfsGui 1.31. Thanks Trio.
Pidgin 2.7.11 with facebookchat and twitter plugin. Thanks Dejan555
Pmusic 1.8.3 Thanks Zigbert
Transmission 2.22. Thanks Michalis
Xfe 1.32 with newer foxlibs
NoBlankScreen, disables screen blackening (good when watching movies or downloading, or doing something other without input) Thanks Trio
Grub4dos updated to 1.7. Thanks Shinobar
PupSnap updated to 1.6. Thanks Radky
Report-video-GLX added
Precord added
Woo-ff multimedia converted added
Gxlat google translator added
Rox-right-clicks updated

Snow Puppy comes with 2.6.35.7.
Kernel is compiled with smp, hyperthreading, rfkill, suspend to ram and hibernate to disk enabled.

SnowPuppy-017 15.5.2011 is the 17. version, woof builded Lucid 511 using 13.5.2011 uploaded woof so it has updated packages from woof on that date.

Iso size 235 Mb.

Pidgin, Xfe , Pmusic, Pburn and Pschedule has been updated to the latest versions. Thank you Barry Kauler, zigbert and dejan555.
Radky`s PupApp, Pupcontrol, PupShutdown, PupClockset and PupSnap are updated to the latest. Thank you radky for these nice apps.

Main focus is laptop and desktop use with enough ram and cpu. Xorg_high/mesa-dri is included in the distro.

Transparency created by xcompmgr might need special rows to xorg.conf. There is good guide in forum howto enable transparency with xcompmgr in puppy: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 011#452011

Wcpufreq governs also multiprocessor cpu`s. Remember to apply the governor by Menu - system - system status and config - Cpu frequency scaling tool.

I have added sfs on the fly application, made by Shinobar. It is still on going project. Just right click sfs file and click sfs load.

Snow Puppy has laptop scripts copied from Fluppy for good laptop support.
Also it has multimedia Fn+ play, Fn + stop etc.. enabled. They launch deadbeef player. Print screen button launches mtpaint-snapshot. Acpitool is included so Fn + zz suspends to ram after you have connected to net first time. It is dependent of that because of shutting net connection before suspending. I can change that behavior to launch simply acpitool -s and acpitool -S if needed.

Snow Puppy has more apps than basic distro. Snapshots are included below. Sit Heels Speak font improvement package is included, more than usual jwm-, gtk-, and icon themes. Also plenty of backgrounds.

For wired and wireless and net connections there is new Frisbee. For ndiswrapper usage there is relevant scripts and gui.

Firefox is the preinstalled browser. Install whatever browser more as your preferences go. Lucid Quickpet is included as updated version.

In Internet section there is Firefox 4.0.1, pidgin 2.7.11, xchat 2.88, transmission 2.22 and uget.

There is no email client. Install whatever you wish, or do as I, I have Thunderbird on own folder in /mnt/home and only symlink to /root and executable dragged to the desktop. One email client for all puppies.

Default image viewer is Geeqie, because it rotates pictures automatically and it has scripts to launch gimp, fotoxx and mtpaint for editing straight from leftside file browser and it has big preview screen on the right side. But there are those others also, gimp is included for real editing. Changing default applications: Go to /usr/local/bin and right click defaultapplication file you want to change, remove the name of application and replace it with app name you want to use.

Streamtuner2 is added with Python. So atm python apps should work straight if they dont need extra modules.

Special thanks to Barry Kauler, Playdayz, Jemimah, micko01, ttuuxxx and Iguleder for great Puppy distros, guidelines and applications.

I think this is still beta quality, so bug reports are needed and are essential for making this derivative better.
Attachments
SnowPuppy_Multimedia.jpg
(148.89 KiB) Downloaded 4132 times
SnowPuppy_Internet.jpg
(139.66 KiB) Downloaded 3065 times
SnowPuppy_Graphic.jpg
(140.41 KiB) Downloaded 2632 times
SnowPuppy_Document.jpg
(139.5 KiB) Downloaded 2504 times
Last edited by pemasu on Sat 18 May 2013, 14:34, edited 111 times in total.

eztuxer

#2 Post by eztuxer »

Hi ! pemasu.

Looking good and running smooth so far on Fujitsu Siemens 2.6 GHz desktop with 512 MB ram, and on Acer Aspire One netbook 1.6 GHz (full HDD install) with 1.5 GB ram installed on 2 GB USB stick.

Nice software selection, Firefox, VLC, and good job that you've activated the package manager to have ubuntu repos access.
I will test it more thoroughly with time, but so far, so good.
This brand new kernel kiks @$$ !
Hope your son gets better soon.
Don't poop it down... Pup it Up !

nooby

#3 Post by nooby »

Thanks pemasu,

the picture viewer are a bit different. I am not used to how it is set up by default but I most likely will learn.

Cool that you took drivers from Fluppy to make it boot on many laptops.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

pemasu

#4 Post by pemasu »

Snow Puppy/ Tumppi Puppy 513RC-21.12.2010 with kernel 2.6.33.2 is uploaded to ftp site.

Kernel differs from original Lucid 511 kernel so that hyperthreading, rfkill and hibernate to disk is enabled. Wcpufreq shows processors up to 8 and hyperthreading enables frequency scaling for all processors up to 8.

Otherwise DOTconfig is same than in Lucid 511.

Also ATI and Nvidia extra drivers works with this version I suppose.

Download links and md5sums: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/SnowPuppy513RC-001/
Last edited by pemasu on Mon 27 Dec 2010, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#5 Post by pemasu »

SnowPuppy is updated to 23122010 version. Snowpuppy in ftp site with that date is kernel 2.6.35.7 version first.

I updated Snowpuppy to have acpid so that power button in laptops shuts down.

I included Jemimah`s new Frisbee for wireless and wired connections. Frisbee is sequel to Pwireless2. Works fine for me.

I also included Jemimah`s fixed Vattery which now works in Lucid puppies. It warns when your battery is in warning level or critical level and you can also make it to execute shutdown when battery is in critical level. Havent tested that though. It also informs with tiptop in tray the battery time left and other information.

Download links and md5sums: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/SnowPuppy513RC_23122010/

You can find devx from the previous version folder at the moment.
http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/SnowPuppy513RC_002/
Last edited by pemasu on Tue 04 Jan 2011, 16:12, edited 4 times in total.

pemasu

#6 Post by pemasu »

Snowpuppy 513RC-004 28.12.2010 is the fourth version, woof builded Lucid 511 using 22.12.2010 uploaded woof so it has updated packages from woof on that date.

From the first build I have made biggest change in removing Songbird. It doesnt handle shoutcast streams anymore reliably. I took tazocs Streamtuner2.sfs and stripped it down and then included smaller functional Python2.6 with Streamtuner2 in to the build. So atm python apps works straight if they dont need extra modules. Pygtk is included already.
Xvidcap-1.1.7 is removed because it has problems with audio. Now python app Gtk-RecordMyDesktop works just by installing the pet http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -Lucid.pet

Iso size reduced to 223 Mb.

Download links and md5sums: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/SnowPuppy513RC-004/

calexand

#7 Post by calexand »

Working great on an IBM ThinkCentre MT-M 8141-2JU~P4HT 3.0gHz/1gig ram/Intel i915/80gig SATA. UnetBooted to usb flash drive with a 1 gig save file!
CA

pemasu

#8 Post by pemasu »

Hey great. It is fine to get feedback. Mostly all four SnowPuppy in folders 001-004 are different builds with changed apps than bug fixes.

nooby

#9 Post by nooby »

pemasu,

your Snow and Jemimah's Fluppy are the only Puppies that boot consistently and all the others even Inpu by IguLeder does fail to boot at times.

Was that more due to pureluck or did you know that some Netbooks needed some changes in the set up of boot procedure and that that was why you made use of Fluppy and Inpu as inspiration?

Another naive question. Now that Jemimah has shown that the way she does it boots everything then why can not the other Devs set up their Puppies in the same way so them also boot every computer sold at the Mass Market Stores all over Europe? Acer Aspire One and such Netbooks?

pemasu

#10 Post by pemasu »

I dont have any magic juice in my build. This is build by using playdayz templates and specs as base, downloads from the lucid ubuntu repos, latest woof apps and barrys additions and my own additions including my compiled kernel. So I mostly added my woofed additions to specs, made my own packages-puppy-pemasu-official file and through it added apps to woof build so that I can easily add, change and remove single packages.

I have used Fluppy series derivatives from the beginning and found laptop improvements there which lacks from other derivatives or official versions. Iguleders all production has also been under my keen interest and I have followed it closely. Both are great developers.

It is great, that it works for you, but I dont have ability or knowledge to do things better than Jemimah, Iguleder or Barry Kauler, far from it.

nooby

#11 Post by nooby »

First bug or error.

When I do Setup and click on
Configure Puppy for your country then nothing happens.

What could I do to repair that one. I do not remember if it has been working though. Apart from that I like your Snowy Puppy

pemasu

#12 Post by pemasu »

Try menu - setup - setup puppy - personalize settings.

What you used is the older way. I thought I had created the symlink needed to execute firstrun wizard when you click what you did, but it seems I have forgot something. Nice find. Thank you.

I will fix it at least to the Snow Puppy 004 version.

eztuxer

#13 Post by eztuxer »

Problem with snow puppy RC 4.0
Losing wifi connection after a couple of minutes. (works fine until it happens).
I'm using rt3070sta-k26305-2.pet driver with my Acer Aspire One netbook.
Installed on a GB usb stick.

pemasu

#14 Post by pemasu »

eztuxer, it would be small wonder if you can get 2.6.30.5 kernel driver to work with kernel 2.6.35.7. You could remove the pet or boot pfix=ram and then lsmod | grep rt* in console to see if there is already kernel driver installed. To check if there is some module in use or just lsmod and scroll the modules. There does not seem to be rt3070 kernel module driver in distro unfortunately.

But I think it is wireless driver issue. Did you use frisbee for wireless connections ?. It has been most reliable for me. I have had issues with ath9k in some kernel versions and pwireless2 and this sequel frisbee keeps the connection best.

eztuxer

#15 Post by eztuxer »

OOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!
Wrong kernel :oops: (I have the same problem with 519)
I didn't use frisbee, just the old connection wizard, but what is really deceiving is that it worked for a few minutes, I've tried it a few times, on netbook & desktop.
I'll have to stick with 511 until a new .pet comes out.
That's where I need your help :wink:

eztuxer

#16 Post by eztuxer »

The link to dwnld the devx is dead (404)

pemasu

#17 Post by pemasu »

eztuxer. Couldnt get your source to compile straight. I found newer one and that compiled ok.

I fix the devx link, I renamed the ftp folders and havent checked all the links. Sorry.

Link fixed now to devx: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/SnowPuppy513RC_002/

And link to kernel sources: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Kernel_sources/
Last edited by pemasu on Tue 04 Jan 2011, 22:04, edited 2 times in total.

eztuxer

#18 Post by eztuxer »

Thanks, I'm downloading the devx.sfs file, and as soon as it is done i'll try the driver and let you know how it works.

eztuxer

#19 Post by eztuxer »

pemasu, your .pet driver works fine, I'm posting with it via netbook and Snow Puppy on usb stick. :)
Now I will be able to test it intensively, installing different softs to customise it.
Thanks for efficient support and thanks to all those (Barry, and the gang) who contributed to bring Puppy to this high level of sofistication and compatibility with hardware ranging from very old to newest state of the art gizmo.
Puppy Rocks ! I'm loving it !
Puppy 5XX, a small step for a dog, a huge leap into the future for geeks...

pemasu

#20 Post by pemasu »

Good to hear. I will make drivers folder to the ftp site for possible further use of that driver. And thank you of the feedback.

Remember to use menu - system - boot manager - add new module so that wireless module is loaded automatically after reboot. And the module needs to be unloaded when you use boot manager.