Fluppy 013

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jemimah

Re: Faenza theme

#1221 Post by jemimah »

don570 wrote:Now I remember :oops:
I tried to find the Faenza theme on the internet
but I couldn't download it --- endless popup ads.
That's why I just made the modification.
Maybe Jemimah knows how to make a proper theme package.

PS - I've already repaired the Faenza icons for Flupp011, So don't spend to much time on it if you don't want to. I finally figured out a way to do it in mtpaint without screwing up the transparenecy. :?

jemimah

#1222 Post by jemimah »

jamesbond wrote:Apology if this has been discussed before ...

I usually don't do remaster but I just did once for my friend last night. His idea is to remaster the current settings, and then run pfix=ram with the remastered version afterwards (no further save file).

I helped him to remaster - we booted from frugal install, with flpsave.3fs, then we remastered to a flp-010.sfs only. Remaster setup:
1. Copy all the junk (not pristine)
2. Copy /root, but don't copy /etc alone
3. Create flp-010.sfs only

Remaster finished ok. We then booted with the new flp-010.sfs with pfix=ram. This worked ok also.

Problem happened when trying to reboot. As the remastered version was shutting down, it automatically created a flpsave.3fs, overwriting the existing flpsave.3fs *without even asking*.

cheers!
I've edited the remaster script to remove the pupsaveconfig configuration. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

edoc

#1223 Post by edoc »

jemimah wrote:
edoc wrote:Any idea if this Great Circle program might work in Fluppy?
http://www.qsl.net/sm3gsj/gcmlx.htm

Or at least if it might break it or not?
It might work. :)
http://puppeee.com/files/pet/gcmwin-3.1.6.pet

(Note this pet includes wxwidgets and may conflict if you have other installs of wxwidgets)
I know from experience that almost every change runs the risk of harming CUPS - it is the most complex and fragile app in all of the Linux world! :-(

wxwidgets appears to have broken CUPS, and part of mtPaint. Is there a simple way to undo the change, please?
Last edited by edoc on Tue 04 Jan 2011, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

darkduck

#1224 Post by darkduck »

Hi,
I am very new to Fluppy (but not to Puppy).
Couple of questions:
1) How can I enable keyboard layout indicator in system panel? It appeared automatically in Puppy when I added my second layout (gb + ru). When I did the same in Fluppy, no indicator came. I think its name is fbxkb
2) If I wanted to migrate from Puppy 511 to Fluppy 010, what is the method to migrate my save file? Or it is better to create new save file and make all the changes manually?

Thanks!
Dmitry
My blog: [url]http://linuxblog.darkduck.com[/url]

shinobar

remaster script

#1225 Post by shinobar »

jemimah wrote:

I usually don't do remaster but I just did once for my friend last night. His idea is to remaster the current settings, and then run pfix=ram with the remastered version afterwards (no further save file).

I helped him to remaster - we booted from frugal install, with flpsave.3fs, then we remastered to a flp-010.sfs only. Remaster setup:

Remaster finished ok. We then booted with the new flp-010.sfs with pfix=ram. This worked ok also.

Problem happened when trying to reboot. As the remastered version was shutting down, it automatically created a flpsave.3fs, overwriting the existing flpsave.3fs *without even asking*.

cheers!
I've edited the remaster script to remove the pupsaveconfig configuration. Hopefully that will fix the problem.
@jemimah
Why don't you use the remasterpup2 or modify it if you need?
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

jemimah

#1226 Post by jemimah »

edoc wrote:
jemimah wrote:
edoc wrote:Any idea if this Great Circle program might work in Fluppy?
http://www.qsl.net/sm3gsj/gcmlx.htm

Or at least if it might break it or not?
It might work. :)
http://puppeee.com/files/pet/gcmwin-3.1.6.pet

(Note this pet includes wxwidgets and may conflict if you have other installs of wxwidgets)
I know from experience that almost every change runs the risk of harming CUPS - it is the most complex and fragile app in all of the Linux world! :-(

wxwidgets appears to have broken CUPS, and part of mtPaint. Is there a simple way to undo the change, please?
It should remove cleanly by uninstalling the pet. It did not break mtpaint when I installed it. There's really nothing there that should possibly be able to interfere with CUPS either.

jemimah

#1227 Post by jemimah »

darkduck wrote:Hi,
I am very new to Fluppy (but not to Puppy).
Couple of questions:
1) How can I enable keyboard layout indicator in system panel? It appeared automatically in Puppy when I added my second layout (gb + ru). When I did the same in Fluppy, no indicator came. I think its name is fbxkb
2) If I wanted to migrate from Puppy 511 to Fluppy 010, what is the method to migrate my save file? Or it is better to create new save file and make all the changes manually?

Thanks!
Dmitry
1) Try this pet.

3) It's way better to create a new save file. Fluppy is not binary compatible with anything newer than 4.3.1. Plus upgrading is always a bit spotty on Puppy (any OS actually) anyway.
Attachments
fbxkb-0.4-i486.pet
(38.04 KiB) Downloaded 239 times

jemimah

Re: remaster script

#1228 Post by jemimah »

shinobar wrote:
jemimah wrote:

cheers!
@jemimah
Why don't you use the remasterpup2 or modify it if you need?
Fluppy has Dougal's remaster script, because it is more flexible and doesn't require an ISO, I have modified it for pupsaveconfig.

magerlab

#1229 Post by magerlab »

just installed frugal onto samsung n145
works fast and fine

win7 starter was too slow for me ( they say it does not allow to change desktop wallpaper , though i did not even try that:)

xorg and wifi work otb

need special scritps for fn keys( actually i need only wifi o-off and brightness) - saw special ppa for ubuntu

https://launchpad.net/~voria/+archive/ppa
(not the same kernell though)
maybe it's possible to add to puppy or set via xbindkeys?

i tried to load sunsung_laptop module from bootloader but it failed to load

then from console gave this error:
FATAL: Error inserting samsung_laptop (/lib/modules/2.6.34.7/kernel/drivers/staging/samsung-laptop/samsung-laptop.ko): No such device
although this module is listed in bootloader and module is in apropriate place, if opened in rox

touchpad just works but flsynclient says that no synaptic driver loaded
(is it only for eee ?)
streamtuner looks for xfmedia to play audio but xfmedia is not present

also
there's a thing that i do not understand :
(maybe not fluppy depending)
battery meter shows ( here's ibam output)
ibam
Battery time left: 3:29:41
Adapted battery time left: 6:32:14

what does Adapted battery time means?

added small and lite gtk theme and iceclearlooks theme to have a compact look

will 11 version have upgrades like in pupeee ?

jemimah

#1230 Post by jemimah »

Oooh, I like the compact theme. I will add it. Maybe it should be the default.

Hmm if the backlight and rfkill don't work, it's due to the samsung kernel module not recognizing your netbook. I will look at the ppa you linked and also see if I can get a newer kernel to work... 2.6.37 is out but I think AUFS for 2.6.37 is not out yet.

You can see if the kernel recognized your touchpad by looking at /proc/bus/input/devices.

I have fixed the problem with streamtuner.

You can read about the battery thing here: http://ibam.sourceforge.net/

Yep Fluppy011 will be an updated PuppeeeBeta7. I alternate the releases now to give testers a minute to catch their breath.

edoc

#1231 Post by edoc »

I created the bootable USB stick with Fluppy010 and copied Grub4DOS to it.

I tweaked the MSI's BIOS to boot from a USB Hardisk, which it did.

I am now looking at Fluppy010 in RAM on the MSI.

Since Grub4DOS runs with the MS and not the Linux OS I am not sure why I want it since I am in Linux.

Normally, from a CD, I would use GParted to reconfigure HDD usage, then run the Puppy Installer.

WDYT?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

magerlab

#1232 Post by magerlab »

of course, i looked on ibam page
but do not understand what the word adaptive means here:)

in win7 it also showed about six hours with 100% battery but it's written it can hold up to 8

for me it would just enough if wifi could be turned off and brightness adjusted

also for newer versions can i use my save file or upgrade will be critical?

magerlab

#1233 Post by magerlab »

two important things I've noticed :
Gparted does not work
(couldn't create swapfile and lost partition -got a message that kernell can not read disk table)
booted from old Boxpupeee and everything worked there

also there are a lot of modules in /lib/modules inlike in other puppies i used before
60mb of modules
so had to make pupsave bigger

is this normal ?

maxpro4u

#1234 Post by maxpro4u »

jemimah wrote: You can read about the battery thing here: http://ibam.sourceforge.net/
according to the website
http://ibam.sourceforge.net/README
there should be 3 rc files in the ibam folder-ibam.rc, battery.rc and charge.rc, there is only one in mine- ibam.rc. The other ones are the battery profile which I guess must be created-right?
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb
Testing Slacko and a few others
I'm Max Wachtel and I approve this message.
Registered Linux User #393236

edoc

#1235 Post by edoc »

I am booted from USB on the MSI netbook.

gparted does not see the MS version of windows called "7" and describes the 149GB it sees as "unallocated". It is actually NTFS.

There are two partitiions, the first is 100MB, the second 149GB, both NTFS.

Grub4DOS was recommended to load Fluppy but I don't see how to use it and I seem to need to create a proper partition for Puppy and to put MSW7 in a much smaller doghouse ...

I tried Puppy Universal Installer but it appeared to want to wipe everytihing!

How do I proceed, please?

Thanks!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

nooby

#1236 Post by nooby »

You only need a new partition for Fluppy if you have to do Full install.

I use Fluppy on a netbook with three partitions that the manufactor Acer out there all in NTFS and the Sda3 or (hd0,2) is the one I use for many frugal installs.

I made use of Shinobar's describtion on how to use grub4dosconfig to get a dual boot going.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

James C

#1237 Post by James C »

edoc wrote:I am booted from USB on the MSI netbook.

gparted does not see the MS version of windows called "7" and describes the 149GB it sees as "unallocated". It is actually NTFS.

There are two partitiions, the first is 100MB, the second 149GB, both NTFS.

Grub4DOS was recommended to load Fluppy but I don't see how to use it and I seem to need to create a proper partition for Puppy and to put MSW7 in a much smaller doghouse ...

I tried Puppy Universal Installer but it appeared to want to wipe everytihing!

How do I proceed, please?

Thanks!
Don't know if this applies to your version of Windows 7 but.......

I run Windows 7 Ultimate and it has a built in disc partitioner to shrink the Windows partition.

Control Panel/ System and Security/ Administrative Tools/Create and format hard disk partitions.

You could shrink the Windows partition and leave the rest unallocated........then use Gparted to format for Puppy and install.

Good luck.HTH.

tlcstat

Testing Fluppy on Toshiba Satellite L305

#1238 Post by tlcstat »

Greetings,
Thanks for a great disto (fluppy 10). I don't have a netbook but it runs better than any puppy I've tried so far. Currently using it on a Toshiba Satellite L305. Thing that got me to testing Fluppy is the fact that it had bluetooth and I like using my bt mouse. At this point I have loaded the OpenOffice.sfs, the Google Chrome Stable.deb off of their site (I had to copy a link to the desktop from /opt/google/chrome, Kompozer, Nero Linux 4, medibuntu, gpfind, firefox (pet). My Motorola Quantico tethers just fine using the PupDial and of course I preload the modprobe usbserial instructions for internet. Still trying to get DVD95Converter to run (library problem). And I haven't tried bluetooth dialup with my phone yet. Will keep you posted. O' yes I'm booting puppy from my Ubuntu Maverick ext4 partition. Puppy is the first linux system I was able to get working until I found Ubuntu over a year ago. Ubuntu let me get weaned from M$. I've been 100% Linux for over a year. My wife is all Linux except for Quicken running in wine. Anyway its nice to have a really great Puppy to work with. If I can get all of my apps going I may just switch full time.
Thanks
tlcstat

tlcstat

#1239 Post by tlcstat »

Greetings,
Thanks for a great disto (fluppy 10). I don't have a netbook but it runs better than any puppy I've tried so far. Currently using it on a Toshiba Satellite L305. Thing that got me to testing Fluppy is the fact that it had bluetooth and I like using my bt mouse. At this point I have loaded the OpenOffice.sfs, the Google Chrome Stable.deb off of their site (I had to copy a link to the desktop from /opt/google/chrome, Kompozer, Nero Linux 4, medibuntu, gpfind, firefox (pet). My Motorola Quantico tethers just fine using the PupDial and of course I preload the modprobe usbserial instructions for internet. Still trying to get DVD95Converter to run (library problem). And I haven't tried bluetooth dialup with my phone yet. Will keep you posted. O' yes I'm booting puppy from my Ubuntu Maverick ext4 partition. Puppy is the first linux system I was able to get working until I found Ubuntu over a year ago. Ubuntu let me get weaned from M$. I've been 100% Linux for over a year. My wife is all Linux except for Quicken running in wine. Anyway its nice to have a really great Puppy to work with. If I can get all of my apps going I may just switch full time.
Thanks
tlcstat

tlcstat

#1240 Post by tlcstat »

Greetings,
Thanks
tlcstat