Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 30 Jul 2014, 07:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » REQUESTS
Password changer/remover for 2fs?
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
Dromeno

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan 2011, 10:07    Post subject:  Password changer/remover for 2fs?  

This has happened to me a ouple of times. I tried a puplet, collected software into a 2fs file, encrypted it with my initials and after a while I met somebody who liked what I had and asked for a copy.

Now of course I can make a complete new puppy distro, with all the software, in a new sfs. But then it will become difficult for people to uninstall software which they do not need.

So what i would like to do is to boot a puplet + my 2fs with my password, then make a copy of the same 2fs but password-free and give that 2fs to friends to be used with a copy of the same puplet.

If the now password-free 2fs then could be re-encrypted with another, password it would be perfect. Then friends can make the copy of my 2fs their own.

I know somebody on this forum made just such a script (it was even able to downsize a 2fs) but I do not remember its name anymore, it never made is to a standard puppy application or even a downloadable pet, and it only worked on Puppy 2, 3 and 4 series.
RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan 2011, 13:36    Post subject: Re: Password changer/remover for 2fs?  

Dromeno wrote:
This has happened to me a ouple of times. I tried a puplet, collected software into a 2fs file, encrypted it with my initials and after a while I met somebody who liked what I had and asked for a copy.

Now of course I can make a complete new puppy distro, with all the software, in a new sfs. But then it will become difficult for people to uninstall software which they do not need.

So what i would like to do is to boot a puplet + my 2fs with my password, then make a copy of the same 2fs but password-free and give that 2fs to friends to be used with a copy of the same puplet.

If the now password-free 2fs then could be re-encrypted with another, password it would be perfect. Then friends can make the copy of my 2fs their own.

I know somebody on this forum made just such a script (it was even able to downsize a 2fs) but I do not remember its name anymore, it never made is to a standard puppy application or even a downloadable pet, and it only worked on Puppy 2, 3 and 4 series.

I believe that this will do it:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=377309#377309

(I successfully used it on 4.3.1)

Dromeno

PostPosted: Sat 08 Jan 2011, 07:47    Post subject: Thanx for locating this essential tool!  

Yep, that is it. Thanks for locating it! As long as it remains impossible to uninstall or export software from an sfs convert pupsave is IMHO one of the essential puppy tools.

Hopefully there will emerge a 4fs (puppeee) version somewhere in the future...
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » REQUESTS
Jump to: