Legacy OS (TEENpup) User Experience Feedback

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
john biles

#41 Post by john biles »

Hello cretsiah,
ttuuxxx's 2.14x uses a lot of late libs and updated xorg I believe. Legacy OS just updates glibc like 2.14x I imagine a devx created for 2.14x most likely wouldn't be to successful with Legacy OS.

The Flight Simulator comes up small unless you use a lower screen reolution. I included it more as a novelty and haven't heard of it freezing the system before. Kpdf should just opened any PDF and I can only assume it had something to do with how much free ram you had at the time? Let me know if after you create some swap if Kpdf works correctly.

I'm redoing the sidebar for the next release with new icons and colors.

Thank you for your comments and I hope the kids enjoy the games. :D
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

manktelr

#42 Post by manktelr »

Mods if this is wrong thread for question at end please remove it.

I'm a complete Linux illiterate and I've found LegacyOS to be exactly what I was looking for. Now have installed on two machines.

first an old HP laptop, about 800Mhz, 256mb Ram,40g HD,Belkin wireless card. its good for light browsing and find Abiword and KPDF nice and easy to use, its made it actually usuable again.

2nd Dual booting desktop with Windows XP. 2.6ghz Celeron, 1024mb ram, 80g hd. Also runs well (until yesterday only had 256mb ram so was running Legacy all the time). :)

My issue/suggestion and question is.
On the laptop in order to get wireless working I had to boot puppylinux (lucidpuppy) run BarryK's network setup, take down driver and then when using legacyos select that driver manually from list brought up by wizard as the legacyos wizard was not selecting working drivers I don't understand why the wizard for other builds of puppy is not included when it is easier for the beginner to use succesfully.

Also for an out of the box linux, it would nice if pdf's would open directly in opera.

For the desktop, yesterday installed Broadcom PCI wireless card, works in windows fine as expected, is detected in LegacyOs but does not function. ran lucid puppy,BarryK network setup, got card running, using Driver B43, ran LegacyOs found out B43 driver unavailable only B44 which does not function (card detected, but does not scan/connect to network)
Hoping somebody could show me how to install the B43 driver, from what I understand (which is little) LegacyOs differs from most puppy builds in terms of installing things and having them work.

sandlynx

Legacy OS-printer question

#43 Post by sandlynx »

I ran Legacy OS from the live CD. I'm impressed with what I see. Dial-up with GK worked just great--how simple! But, when I tried to install my printer HP 6122, I could get the "test-page" to print out, but I could not get anything to print from any app. I think this happened with a Puppy version 4.xxx or 5.0 but when I installed it on the harddrive, the printer worked just fine. I would like to install Legacy OS on this computer--if the printer is going to work after installation. (I love all Puppy versions! I have saved several "old" computers from going to the landfill.) Anybody have an answer for this? :?:

sandlynx

multiple menus--multiple listing of same item

#44 Post by sandlynx »

Roger Hunter said:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:42 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
John;

"When I click on a menu item it pops out a sub menu which should have 3 selections on it but instead has 6 lines, 2 sets of 3 choices."

comment: I had a similar experience when installing my printer (or trying to). Note: Running from a live CD, not a HDD install. In the CUPS installation pages, when hunting for my printer's model number, I found duplicate entries for the printer, about four entries, I experimented until I found the one that produced a test page, but would not print from apps. This is not the same problem, but similar. I'm not a programmer, so I'm not sure if this is a related problem.

john biles

#45 Post by john biles »

Hello manktelr,
Legacy OS is based on Puppy 2.14 release early 2007 with a few mods to the main system files. It uses the Linux Kernel 2.6.18.1 which I believe isn't compatible with the broadcom B43 Wifi Driver. If someone on the forum thinks I'm wrong please provide a solution in getting more Current Wifi drivers in to Legacy OS and I'll gladly add them to the upcoming Legacy OS 2 release.

Hello sandlynx,
If you have followed the correct order in installing the Cups pup and pets packages and your printer is listed then Printing should work.
For Printers built before 2007 all you should need to install is the pup package v0.3 If your printer is newer installing the packages in this order should get your printer working.

1. gutenprint-5.2.5 pet
2. cups-1.3.9 pet
3. cups v0.3 pup

OK now you ask why is the same printer listed twice?

cups v0.3 pup uses I believe gutenprint 5.0.0 .pdd printer driver files and cups-1.3.9 uses gutenprint 5.2.5 .ppd printer driver files. So when you install all 3 packages the gutenprint 5.0.0 and 5.2.5 .ppd printer driver files all get mixed together. Just installing the gutenprint-5.2.5 pet and cups-1.3.9 pet packages won't work! Just remember that post 2007 Printer drivers are in gutenprint-5.2.5 and not in cups v0.3 . gutenprint-5.2.5 also has drivers from pre 2007 printers hence the double up of some printer driver files.

It also recommended to install Legacy OS to hard drive for regular printing.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.